Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite @ 1600x1200 is awesome!

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite @ 1600x1200 is awesome!

Post by JohnnyBoy »

This week I bought a second-hand monitor from eBay - an Iiyama ProLite E511S, native resolution 1600x1200. It replaced a 15 inch Benq with a 1024x768 resolution.

What a difference! The finer detail given by the bigger monitor allows me to really nail those suckers with a military laser at a distance of 22 or 23 km. I was worried that my Mac Mini's GMA950 would struggle to keep up the screen refresh, but the only stuttering occurs when I climb or dive with a planet that's close by in view.

Do any other Oolite players use a large display?

Right, that's enough talking. I'm off to shoot something! :twisted:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yes. :-)
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Yup, a 22" Samsung 226BW on my desk. Widescreen display, wonderful picture, pretty Oolite! :)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Not got a mac (a PC running Ubuntu) - but for some reason the nvidia restricted drivers only offer me a horribly flickering 50Hz at 1600x1200 on my monitor for my FX5900XT even though under XP it works fine at 60Hz at 16x12 - odd.

Not so bad though - I'm still getting about 50-100fps at 1024x768 so I've opted for smoother over clarity!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Ahruman, I couldn't detect which size screen you're using from the link that you posted. 'HDTV' - must be big...
Wolfwood wrote:
Yup, a 22" Samsung 226BW on my desk. Widescreen display, wonderful picture, pretty Oolite! :)
If you're running at 1680x1050, you must be enjoying a similar level of detail to me, Wolfwood. :)
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Not so bad though - I'm still getting about 50-100fps at 1024x768 so I've opted for smoother over clarity!
Well I checked my frame rate, and I'm getting a maximum figure of 60fps dropping to about 30 if there's some rapid planet-redrawing to be done.

At this new resolution, I can knock out a SuperCobra at a 22km distance, but a really pleasant surprise was killing a Mamba at 10km when it was pointing straight at me. In the past, I've had trouble accurately hitting such a slender craft. Feels good! :wink:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Ahruman, I couldn't detect which size screen you're using from the link that you posted. 'HDTV' - must be big...
24" iMac, 1920 × 1200. (But it’s not really the size that counts, it’s the colour consistency. The 20" iMac I have to use at work is horrible in comparison.)
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Ahruman wrote:
24" iMac, 1920 × 1200. (But it’s not really the size that counts, it’s the colour consistency. The 20" iMac I have to use at work is horrible in comparison.)
1920x1200 means that you have a little more width than me, and definitely a better graphics card. ;) And yes, I've heard that the 20" screen is a disaster if you're not looking at it straight-on.

I'd like to extend my desktop with another 1600x1200 screen, but because the Mini has just the one DVI port, I have had to investigate some clever alternatives...
  • ScreenRecycler would allow the Mini to use the monitor connected to my MacBook, if the Mini and MacBook were networked together
  • An EVGA UVPlus+ would allow me to connect a second display to one of my Mini's USB ports
Anyway, I'm going completely off topic here.... :roll:
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

not really, it's all about seeing with clarity on oolite. ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I'd like to extend my desktop with another 1600x1200 screen, but because the Mini has just the one DVI port, I have had to investigate some clever alternatives...
  • ScreenRecycler would allow the Mini to use the monitor connected to my MacBook, if the Mini and MacBook were networked together
  • An EVGA UVPlus+ would allow me to connect a second display to one of my Mini's USB ports
Anyway, I'm going completely off topic here.... :roll:
Staying off topic, I've now bought the EVGA UV-16 and a Hewlett Packard 20-incher. So after tomorrow's imminent hardware-setup-extravaganza, I'll have a desktop measuring 3200x1200 pixels. Oh yesss... 8)
JameSpal
Competent
Competent

Post by JameSpal »

I'm running dual monitors. Main screen is a 22" HP widescreen LCD at 1680x1050, the other is a 17" CRT running at 1024x768 (I call it my In Cabin Entertainment system).

It's nice for surfing the galaxy-wide web or watching classic movies from the 21st century while on those long, dull Milk runs.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I use a 1920x1200 iMac too - its biiiigg. But how do you get 100 fps on that? Not running every single OXP you could find, like I am?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Well, I got it all working nicely together...