Negiative Cargo bays

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Negiative Cargo bays

Post by KZ9999 »

I'm posting this bug here because it seems to occur across multiple OXP's, which makes me think it could be a core program issue. Look at the bellow image.
We have a spearhead with a passenger berth fitted in a ship that has no cargo space. I've also seen the same bug appear in several other ships with sub 5 TC cargo bays belonging to other OXP's. I have yet to see any of the core ships displaying the bug. I'm running 1.72 patched from 1.71 under vista home-premium if that is any help but the bug was there in 1.71.

I don't understand the code well enough to figure out what is the cause of it so I'm posting it here to let the high commanders know.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

The cause of this is if a ship has "Passenger Cabins" as an optional equipment item defined, but the ship in question has less than 5 tons of cargo space, sometimes the buying offer will add this optional item to the ship and you end up with an offer that includes a passenger cabin but negative cargospace.

This can be solved in two ways.

First, the devs could stop the core game awarding a passenger cabin if not enough storage space is on a given ship. They already stop it from giving out more than one cabin if that doesn't fit (i.e. a 7t-ship won't get two passenger cabins and a -3t cargo capacity as an offer) so why not this also.

Second, it doesn't make sense anyways to have passenger cabins defined as optional equipment if the ship in question can never accomodate them. So any ship with 4 or less tons of cargo capacity should not get the PC as optional equipment.

Realistic Shipyards has some ships with this unfit configuration. It doesn't break anything - you can transport a single passenger with your then -2t cargo ship, or you can sell the cabin and have 3t cargo space again - but it's on my to-do list as an OSE bug fix to remove optional passenger cabins from all < 5t ships.

Hope that helps

L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Please upgrade to 1.72.2 and try to recreate the bug. If you have a saved game that can be used to generate it, please upload it somewhere so that we can have a look at it.

By the way, did you by any chance try to buy fuel without having enough cash? This is a known bug in 1.72, that would result in huge amounts of credits generated. This is fixed for 1.72.2.

Edit: Negative cargo bug fixed. It was a really dumb one. The passenger berth was referenced in some part of the code dedicated to do this type of check as EQ_PASSENGER_BIRTH. Awesome.
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

another_commander wrote:
Please upgrade to 1.72.2 and try to recreate the bug. If you have a saved game that can be used to generate it, please upload it somewhere so that we can have a look at it ...

Edit: Negative cargo bug fixed. It was a really dumb one. The passenger berth was referenced in some part of the code dedicated to do this type of check as EQ_PASSENGER_BIRTH. Awesome.
It's great to see it was a simple fix which was fixed so promptly. This one of the reasons why this game and it community so rocks. :D As for the OTT amount of money featured in the post, it was from a hacked save file I created to test out various ships and game features while I'm writing the Manual. In no way would I ever use it for my real gaming experience. My real-self hasn't cracked 100K Cr yet.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net