Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Weird floating rectangle

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Weird floating rectangle

Post by PhilHibbs »

I have a truncated yellow blob floating round my screen making a purring sound! It's in the top left corner of this screenshot, but it floats around randomly.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Weird floating rectangle

Post by Screet »

PhilHibbs wrote:
I have a truncated yellow blob floating round my screen making a purring sound! It's in the top left corner of this screenshot, but it floats around randomly.
If it's purring, I bet that you either bought or scooped up a trumble and got some problem with your graphics driver.

Have a look at the image in this thread, if it's a trumble...then you'll know how it should look and what happens if you feed it well:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=15

Screet
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

I don't remember buying it, I bet I scooped it up by accident. I don't remember scooping anything, although I did collide with a shuttle, maybe that was it. I haven't started fighting yet.

I've stopped trading in food.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

PhilHibbs wrote:
I don't remember buying it, I bet I scooped it up by accident. I don't remember scooping anything, although I did collide with a shuttle, maybe that was it. I haven't started fighting yet.

If it's a broken image of a trumble, that won't help...they basically eat EVERYTHING (aside from machinery, computers, weapons, gems, gold and platinum)!

I've seen them eat slaves, inhabitants of scooped up escape pods, textiles, liquor, radioactives, furs and the like. They are very fond of narcotics - a single trumble can eat a ton of them, and it doesn't die, but reproduces instantly!

If it's a trumble, you surely sooner or later will get "trumbles have eaten a cargo pod of...." and then there are two of them.

Cmdr Wyvern's suggestion on how to deal with them is correct: "Trumbles. Best served flame broiled in BBQ sauce."

You could also check your savegame if it has any entries for trumbles in it...if so, better do what Cmdr Wyvern suggests, heat your ship up in the flames, but be careful not to barbeque yourself!

As to why it's just a yellow blob, I fail to understand. Purring and random movements indicate that it's a trumble.
Screet
HueijRevisited
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by HueijRevisited »

Screet wrote:
As to why it's just a yellow blob, I fail to understand. Purring and random movements indicate that it's a trumble.
Screet
Oh my god! Hesperus finally did it. Genetically altering trumbles so they look like a yellow blob... :(
Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
And notifying the next of kin
Once again...
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

Screet wrote:
PhilHibbs wrote:
If it's a broken image of a trumble, that won't help...they basically eat EVERYTHING (aside from machinery, computers, weapons, gems, gold and platinum)!
I only trade in computers, gems, gold, and platinum.

Would a single trumble jeopardise a cargo contract?
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

This is in my save file:

Code: Select all

<key>mission_trumbles</key>
		<string>TRUMBLE_BOUGHT</string>
so it's definitely supposed to be a Trumble.
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

The graphic is fixed now - I tried to get rid of my Trumble by flying close to the sun, but I mis-judged it and blew up, and on re-loading the graphic looks like a cute big-eyed yellow alien now. I had already tried re-starting and re-booting.

*Update:* Got it! Fried trimble for breakfast.
Last edited by PhilHibbs on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Don't forget the suntan lo.. heat shields! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

PhilHibbs wrote:
*Update:* Got it! Fried trimble for breakfast.
Congratulations! I hope it did taste well!

An alternative to the sun is - probably only for ships fast enough - to fly very low through the atmosphere of a planet just after launch. Then it's easy to keep the temperature in the desired range for perfect barbeque and it's quicker than a flight to the sun, but has the disadvantage of crashing onto the planet if the altitude is being misjudged.

Screet
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

To be precise, it’s a trumble using the blur texture instead of the trumblekit texture. <Spock>Fascinating.</Spock>
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

HueijRevisited wrote:
Screet wrote:
Screet
Oh my god! Hesperus finally did it. Genetically altering trumbles so they look like a yellow blob... :(
<rubs paws together, then strokes the head of a white fluffy humanoid>
Just as planned.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!