Wish towards the Devs: Higher passenger transport fares

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ZygoUgo wrote:
Opening up the passenger contracts to be effected by OXP's is a good idea, I'm liking these suggestions. Here's a couple more for stories..
Mr. Hesperus asks you to transport him to Xeer as his ship is currently being repaired there and he had to leave to get some special equipment.

Before he leaves, some of his pets escape...

Ahhh....and...maybe....if the player has a trumble, a passenger comes to like it and asks for the price of it? :twisted:

Of course, if it's not a Hesperus, but a Wyvern, it would just eat the trumbles, maybe you only notice after the fire alarm starts in his cabin and when you have a look, you are invited to BBQ ;)

Screet, who had to press "submit" for over 20 times in order to make it accept the text
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Mr. Hesperus asks you to transport him to Xeer as his ship is currently being repaired there and he had to leave to get some special equipment.
'I have to fetch a...erm..package.. (catnip :D ) My ships been temporarily waylayed.. There might be a spot of bother, but I'll pay well..' (He never does :wink: You just end up with a ship full of trumbles)
HueijRevisited
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by HueijRevisited »

ZygoUgo wrote:
'I have to fetch a...erm..package.. (catnip :D ) My ships been temporarily waylayed.. There might be a spot of bother, but I'll pay well..' (He never does :wink: You just end up with a ship full of trumbles)
Why would the good captain leave you with a ship full of trumbles when he can get 30 credits a piece for them? :D
Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
And notifying the next of kin
Once again...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

HueijRevisited wrote:
Why would the good captain leave you with a ship full of trumbles when he can get 30 credits a piece for them? :D
1) You had some edible cargo on board (includes escape capsules and other passengers).

2) They did eat before he brought them aboard and was unable to take care of them all.

Screet
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Here's a side thought

Post by KZ9999 »

I was just wondering about the passenger cabins themselves.

It would be nice feature if when the commander ejected, that the ship also eject the passenger berth as well. I would function like an escape pod and which you could scoop it up and deliver it to a station. If you were a pirate you could ransom off the passenger for cash, and as a hero you would get a insurance reward for saving them.

If there was the implementation of the multiple passengers system, then there would be multiple berths to scoop up.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

HueijRevisited wrote:
ZygoUgo wrote:
You know the insurance papers you signed to waver accident costs to you that Mr. Hesperus gets you to sign before getting on board. get a VERY powerful micro scope and I believe you will find you will be billed for all the coddly critters at the end of the journey. normaly to the vaclue of CrXXXXXXX+
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The chart below gives a better picture of how the passenger market works. The straight blue line represents the situation as we had it up to now. Higher prices are now paid with reputation greater than 5. See that up to 6 jumps more or less prices are comparable. After the 7th jump, the difference begins to show, so if you want the big bucks, go for longer than 7 jumps. The prices here are what is directly calculated by the algorithm that accounts for the number of jumps. Further adjustments are made by Oolite to give you the final price you see on the F8 screen, but these are not too far away from what is shown here. Anyway, you get the idea.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
The chart below gives a better picture of how the passenger market works now.
That does look good!

I'm not sure if it's an easy and desireable enhancement, but maybe you like it:

The high distance transports give a substantially higher income because the ship is required to transport a single passenger over a long range.

Short range contracts thus won't give much, as the player doesn't have to sacrifice much.

Now...if short distance contracts typically would have a big chance to have more passengers, they could provide a higher income. I believe that makes sense as it's more likely to have more people interested into reaching a nearby system than one that is long away.

Thus, people might want to install more cabins and transfer themselves into a passenger liner...but if more people do want to reach a distant target, the player is going there anyway, thus the increase there should be much reduced.

A result would be that short-distance multi-passenger contracts would provide a much nicer income, while those lucrative long distance transports would not benefit too much, as they are already highly paid.

It's like if you run a transport company...one cubic metre of sand is almost as expensive as two, as the sands cost is almost irrelevant, but the time of the truck and driver isn't.

Screet
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

The 5 ton passenger cabin has equipment to accomodate various, and different, species specific environmental requirements (multi-species life support) and offers entertainment options sufficient for long voyages.
Reducing the 5 ton volume/mass subtraction from cargo capacity might involve compromises.

The passenger berth may only accomodate one type of species, or may have reduced accomodation features (smaller berth volume and minimal entertainment options, similar to the "coffin sized" hotels found in Japan).
However, passengers may not want to pay well for cramped quarters and a single issue of "What Ship?" magazine to read over a period of several days.

For Captains/Owners of ships to entice passengers, certain standards of comfort must be met. Additionally, certain standards must be met to meet spaceworthiness certifications of passenger berths (perhaps multi-species life support is a non-negotiable requirement?).

I suggest that the 5 ton volume/mass requirement remain in place. And, that in order to attract passengers with larger credit balances, upgrades to the passenger berths could be purchased.
This means the player spends more money, in order to make more money. If a player wants to earn a good reputation and a good living transporting passengers, they'll have to provide above-average accomodations.

Possible berthing upgrades...
~Theme suites
~Luxurious baths/pools/hot-tubs
~Massuse robots
~Escape pod feature: the berth (or a portion of it) is a self contained escape pod
~Systems or materials designed to "self-clean" a berth. (Possible story scenario: a business document gets "eaten" by self-cleaning featues of the berth and the passenger becomes upset.)
~Additional features yet to be named

Because the F5 equipment screen is already crowded, perhaps berthing upgrades could be viewed via the "double F5" status screen for listing cargoes, missions and passengers.

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
CptnEcho
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

CptnEcho wrote:
What are your thoughts?
This entirely makes sense - and having an escape pod for passengers also goes well in accordance to the random hits level 2 missions, where the victim typically hides in a passenger cabin but can eject!

Screet
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

CptnEcho wrote:
The 5 ton passenger cabin has equipment to accomodate various, and different, species specific environmental requirements (multi-species life support) and offers entertainment options sufficient for long voyages.
Reducing the 5 ton volume/mass subtraction from cargo capacity might involve compromises.

The passenger berth may only accomodate one type of species, or may have reduced accomodation features (smaller berth volume and minimal entertainment options, similar to the "coffin sized" hotels found in Japan).
However, passengers may not want to pay well for cramped quarters and a single issue of "What Ship?" magazine to read over a period of several days.

For Captains/Owners of ships to entice passengers, certain standards of comfort must be met. Additionally, certain standards must be met to meet spaceworthiness certifications of passenger berths (perhaps multi-species life support is a non-negotiable requirement?).

I suggest that the 5 ton volume/mass requirement remain in place. And, that in order to attract passengers with larger credit balances, upgrades to the passenger berths could be purchased.
This means the player spends more money, in order to make more money. If a player wants to earn a good reputation and a good living transporting passengers, they'll have to provide above-average accomodations.

Possible berthing upgrades...
~Theme suites
~Luxurious baths/pools/hot-tubs
~Massuse robots
~Escape pod feature: the berth (or a portion of it) is a self contained escape pod
~Systems or materials designed to "self-clean" a berth. (Possible story scenario: a business document gets "eaten" by self-cleaning featues of the berth and the passenger becomes upset.)
~Additional features yet to be named

Because the F5 equipment screen is already crowded, perhaps berthing upgrades could be viewed via the "double F5" status screen for listing cargoes, missions and passengers.

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
CptnEcho
Would be fun if implementable. Thinking about passengers. For Famous Planets I added liners. Maybe you have to first buy a 'liner' class ship to implement the bigger cabins.

So small traders ships: Basic upgrade(only life support and Escape capsule not muli passengers)
Anaconda Class: More Berths and some luxury upgrades. Up to 10 passengers
Liner Class (like the Strelka Cruiseliners) > Specialized upgrades
Cruirseliner Class> Tycoonlike options: Malls, entertainment centers etc.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@another_commander

Post by Lestradae »

@another_commander:

Just wanted to remark that I like where you are taking this. I think this implementation makes passenger transports part of the actual game again and am completely happy with a fulfilled request :D

Cheers

L