Tionisla Orbital Graveyard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

OK, before I go off to bed, one last screenshot and report:

http://www.hughesd.co.uk/elite/oolite/m ... reen01.jpg
- another view from inside the graveyard.

I now have a graveyard with 200 ships in it (all shuttle types). I'm using witchspace beacons as perimeter beacons now, but they're a little small. A_H, maybe you should make the beacons about 200m in size. It would be nice to be able to see them from the main Tionisla Dodec.

Well, 200 ships, 1 dodo and 6 beacons, and the frame rate didn't dip below 30fps except for once when it went to 21. I dunno how my pc measures up to your macs, but given that the frame rate dropped to about 4-6 using the oolite monument model, it should run OK.

I've uploaded (or am about to at least) the latest planetinfo.plist to the shared area.

Night all.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

ok, willl do..tomorriow. having trouble even loggin in now...uhh.

Am bit confused about the reference to the shipyard_basic....does this relate to the (totally unrelated to GY) shipyard model that crashes selezen's (or rykes?) system?

ps sorry I drunk to much toinite, typing is a chore. :p :oops:
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Selezen could you please also upload your Ais, Textures and Models folders?

ATM I'm totally unsure what's in there at your side...

A_H: shipyard_basic is 'cruft' I forgot to delete, was part of your shipyard model, I tested. Seems I uploaded the wrong graveyard.zip... with all that moving around to new places in cyberland...urg.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

:shock: Oolite automatically kills unwanted sloppily modified stations! 8)

679 Oolite[417] DEBUG Universe removeEntity: ENTITY IS NOT IN THE RIGHT PLACE IN THE SORTED LIST -- FIXING...

2005-06-26 10:29:38.679 Oolite[417] DEBUG Universe removeEntity: ENTITY IS NOT IN THE SORTED LIST -- CONTINUING...

That was after, say 30sec, one minute ingame, so I happened to be right next to the station, which self-destructed! Cool, verily, but why?
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Booble! :lol:

Was this one of my 'advanced' stations, the ones with rings?

More importantly: What do you all think about the buoy-skin?
Should I go for the missile launcher with red rockets poking out or the other with only the launchtubes?
Maybe should lose the black/yellow stripes?

todo:
-It will become darker, when the 'shade layer' goes over it. I liked how the dark2 skin looked, especially with the reddish lights. :) So use that one if you are also going to use them as substations for patrolls.
-Generate a *wings-file with a 100m D octagon.

-New grave-roids
a)with multiple headstones on rock.
b)with coffins in a ring around a central 'roid, maybe a small pyramid/church+landingpad. (Make this one spin, guys!)
c)With the crashed Boa model attached.

-New monuments
a) The spiky monument from TDW.
b) A hollow dodec.
c) a Pyramid

-Finish some skins.

Question:
When flying through the GY, you get a text notifying you of your targets or the name of near objects right?
Do you then get names like: Monument_1, Test_Dodec, rusty_python, etc?
Is there a string in-game to generate (random) ship identifiers?
If so, maybe we can cobble together a string that assigns a random entry from a list to every generated monument? like: Commander_Jameson's_Grave, Estartes_Family_Crypt, Commander_Bell: Hello? I'm marooned on this stupid monument! help!,
(that would be a GY-mission idea). Maybe keep it generic though: Crypt, Monument_to_an_Elite, Sarcophagoid, A_very_ancient_tomb, derelict, etc.
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

I'm going to sit back from this for today, was working on my robot, and it's collecting dust since this started, want to do some stuff on it today, really want to.

that self-destruct had something to do with me mixing up too much things, I guess. Not with elaborate models.

buoys- looks like they're temporarily gone for the moment, judging from Selezen's pics.

flying through GY: 2 options: your advanced scanner, when you 'aim' it at objects, it says what they are, so you can let a buoy come up as buoy, or graveyardwarden or... whatever you see fit. Frobably randoomizable, not 100% sure, but should be possible. (note to self: to do or rather: to figure out, heehee.)
or you can have objects 'automatically' send out signals to you, but in such a massive GY, that could lead to *a lot* of messages goming in at you from all directions.... might be cool, in a way... (note to self: to try out...)

I liked the black/yellow stripes.
It will become darker, when the 'shade layer' goes over it. I liked how the dark2 skin looked, especially with the reddish lights. Smile So use that one if you are also going to use them as substations for patrolls
Liked the way it looked, too. 'bout the lasertubes etc: depend on how much complexity it adds. Again, (starting to sound like a pain in the ass record that got stuck) keep stuff as simple as possible, it's ( the GY) bound to become a huuuge cacaphony of objects, so we'll have to be careful for bloat...
Arexack_Heretic

It's just a texture. nothing complex there.

About complexity:
The 'roid with crashed boa is 283+vertices, I was planning on a ring of debris, but judging from the size of the asteroid the ring would be huge, a miniature GY. Probbably 2K+verts (at minimally 4verts per coffin (8more likely))
So I'll just add a bit more debris to the roid and make the ring a separate model.

edit: 320verts is the max for ships.....I have some pruning todo. :(

edit2: OK, pruned. Uploaded the wings file to the group.
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Let's not worry about big complex monuments at the moment - I thought the drive was to get the smaller monuments done so that they could be generated and placed in bigger numbers first. Something like an asteroid-based tomb should be left til later as one of the custom jobs.

OK, now to try and remember the rest of the posts.

Rxke, the models, ai and textures I am using are the ones from the zip file you uploaded to the hughesd shared area.

I've taken the beacons out for the moment and replaced them with the witchspace beacon models - they are actually too small. Something about 2 or 3 times the size of the witchspace buoy would be ideal.

I love the idea of custom messages - there is a line in the shipdata.plist that has the text shown by the id routine. Maybe the fancy messages shouldbe reserved for the custom monuments. Generating them randomly will mean that the same momument may not get the same text on consecutive runs.

I like the thought of having the missile tips poking out of the beacons. Keep the black and yellow stripes! They are cool!
Arexack_Heretic

As you are the only one to respond to that question I'll go for that...And do the alternative tubes also. :)

*resizing, doodling texture*
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

A_H Hey, I was not ignoring you!v :wink:
In fact me too said the stripes looked cool, but was not sure about tubes (complexity) and you said it was just textures. So we all agree. 8)

Selezen re: custom messages in shipdata.plist: that was eggs-actly what i meant! 8)
Now it's a string, but I guess we can make a subroutiine for certain monumentclasss that generates a varitey of strings...

from the hughesd (sp???) group. Should be ok then, I guess (last one i uploaded to you "graveyard.zip) 99% sure was mixed up w other things, maybe better to take that off again)

I'm off, drilling holes..
Arexack_Heretic

Ok, I now considder the model and texture for the Tionisla_Graveyard_Buoy/Gravekeeper complete, will upload it to the TionislaGY group shortly.
Riding the Rocket!
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

Gentlemen,
While I applaud your efforts to put together the TGY, I do feel you are forgetting a most important facility found at all major tourist destinations...

:D :D :D

Now if only I could figure out how to position a dock on the thing I could make a fortune selling T-shirts and fuzzy dice...

Seriously though, how do you get the positioning of a dock right? :?
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

:lol:
Sacrilege!

I love all the lights, though.

'bout the dock... isn't it too small for that?
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

How much is it worth if you blow it up? :twisted: :twisted:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

Rxke wrote:
:lol:
Sacrilege!
Ever been to the US? You'll start running into these things miles (oops, kilometres) before you get to the tourist destination... I drove my family to DisneyWorld recently. We saw signs for a souvenir shop by the highway selling Disney junk a good 300km's before we got to DisneyWorld.
Rxke wrote:
'bout the dock... isn't it too small for that?
Perhaps. There is room for a dock on the underside, but it wouldn't be terribly "realistic" - the inside of the dock would take up almost the entire souvenir shop. Of course the regular stations and rock hermits are also kind of small to accomodate many of the ships in Oolite, but work well nonetheless. It would be fun to do though - I was thinking of writing a script where you could "buy" souvenirs when docked. This is/was mostly an excercise on my part and not necessarily a suggestion for inclusion in the TGY. I have some ideas for how to use similar things in missions, but need to get the dock right.
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.