An introduction, thanks and a small problem.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Muzzman
Poor
Poor

An introduction, thanks and a small problem.

Post by Muzzman »

Hello Commanders,

Just a quick post to introduce myself and to thank the growing development team for such a great game.

I'm currently running Oolite v1.71.2, I haven't made the next step up yet because of the discussions surrounding v1.73, I'm in a dilemma to wait or just get on and download the next upgrade (which I might have a problem with, more on that later).

I have a Dell Dimension 4550
WinXP SP 2
Pentium 4, 2.53GHZ
512MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6600

It's quite an old system, about 7 years old but seems to run Oolite fairly well, I have a number of OXPs installed and it does get kinda choppy but nothing to serious. I had to remove Realistic Shipyards though because that OXP really slowed the game up for me.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is with .exe files, I just can't download them for some reason, I can download zips and extract the .exe files that way, I just can't download these files direct. I think it's a problem I have with my firewall but I'm buggered if I can work it out. I would like to try out the latest version of Oolite though. Is there a .zip file out there that holds the most recent version of Oolite that I can download?

Thanks for your help!

Murray.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hi Muzzman, and welcome to the friendly boards! :D

Not being able to directly download an .exe file, isn't that a security 'feature'?

I have little Windows experience, but I seem to recall having run into that problem with a friend's computer... I wish i could remember what the workaround was. but I'm sure other Oliteers will know more about this than me.

BTW: are you running XP or Vista?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Welcome Muzzman.

The exe problem definitely sounds like an issue at your end! I run Oolite under both Ubuntu and XP SP2 and have had no problems downloading the exe. I've just redownloaded and zipped up the Windows exe but not unexpectedly it only zips by a few tens of K and I can only host up to 10MB files on my box.net - so I can't help you get hold of a zip I'm afraid. :(
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

@DaddyHoggy: Try www.terrastorage.com. It's still under development and sometimes it's acting up but has no limits on the files you upload.
Muzzman
Poor
Poor

Post by Muzzman »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes. It does seem to be a 'security' issue on my side, I've tried everything I can think of to work around it but still windows denies me the facility to download .exes.

I'll have another go at it tonight but right now my PC is heading outta the window :lol:

Without taking liberties and on a completely different note, I'm currently gallivanting around the Ooniverse in a FalconS. I love this ship, it flies well and looks great in black but I'd prefer to have a different HUD then the one it is supplied with on purchase. Is there a way I can change it out for one more to my liking?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If you're at work, I suppose you could download it on work's computer drop it to a stick or e-mail it to yourself and get round it that way. Sounds like some nannying by Windows or your firewall though. Maybe even Admin settings.

If you open up the shipdata .plist for the Falcon (Notepad will do), then change the hud to read to the name of the one you want to use (hud.plist will change it to the default one you have installed) that'll do it. After making the change though you will need to hold down the SHIFT key whilst Oolite loads up for the first time, so that your changes are updated.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

LittleBear wrote:
If you're at work, I suppose you could download it on work's computer drop it to a stick or e-mail it to yourself and get round it that way. Sounds like some nannying by Windows or your firewall though. Maybe even Admin settings.

If you open up the shipdata .plist for the Falcon (Notepad will do), then change the hud to read to the name of the one you want to use (hud.plist will change it to the default one you have installed) that'll do it. After making the change though you will need to hold down the SHIFT key whilst Oolite loads up for the first time, so that your changes are updated.
Two of my email systems (i.e. my work one and my tesco.net one) limit the file size I can send to 10MB - practically this means about 7MB by the time a file is suitable encoded for transmission via email. And to work in a place that allows memory sticks to be used is growing rarer by the day - the UK MOD has just introduced a blanket ban on them...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Ahh. My virgin media account allows up to 20Megs, so I can at a push e-mail a big OXP or exec to myself, but I have to delete it as soon as I've grabbed it as otherwise the box is too full. My works system refuses to recoginse my laptop so I constantly have to drop word files to stick whenever I want to print anything out. :roll: Can see why the MOD might not be too keen on people sticking sticks into their network though. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

I can help, you can send up to 20meg through google mail, and it's free.
If you PM your email to me I'll post it you.
Welcome by the way
:D
Muzzman
Poor
Poor

Post by Muzzman »

LittleBear wrote:
Marvellous! Thank you, that worked a treat!
ZygoUgo wrote:
I can help, you can send up to 20meg through google mail, and it's free.
If you PM your email to me I'll post it you.
PM on the way. What an extremely helpful bunch you guys are!
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Had to resort to a file host so if there's any one else out there with the same problem, here's the link..
http://www.mediafire.com/?2mmnzhd2lnm
Muzzman
Poor
Poor

Post by Muzzman »

ZygoUgo wrote:
Had to resort to a file host so if there's any one else out there with the same problem, here's the link..
Thanks so much, I now have v1.72.2, good job I've got nothing to do for the rest of the day :lol:
"Smoke me a trumble, I'll be back for breakfast!"
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Muzzman wrote:
ZygoUgo wrote:
Thanks so much, I now have v1.72.2, good job I've got nothing to do for the rest of the day :lol:
A few things...although the email-question is solved already, just to be prevent trouble in the future:

1) email often is restricted, too...like not allowing to open or save exe files unless you hack the registry. Outlook is one of those...

2) if you use Vista and edit files, but have Oolite installed to program files instead of c:\oolite, you do not actually change that file, as Vista creates a copy in virtual store!

Hopefully, you don't need neither of these tips...but it's always good to be aware of such potential problems.

Screet