Taranis OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Taranis OXP

Post by MKG »

I wondered if this is the correct forum and decided it was - but feel free to move it if it ain't.

OK, I'm examining OXPs in an effort to understand how they work. So, I've looked at the Taranis mission and played it. I've achieved the stated objective several times, but each time it's resulted in a mission failure. I've read all the plists and the AI and, for the life of me, I can find no reason why this should happen. As far as I can see from the mission briefing AND from my reading of the OXP contents, the criteria for success have been met.

Does anyone know anything about this OXP that I'm completely missing?

Mike
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Taranis OXP

Post by Commander McLane »

MKG wrote:
I wondered if this is the correct forum and decided it was - but feel free to move it if it ain't.
Methinks that the Expansion Pack-forum would perhaps have been even a tic more appropriate, as your question is about an Oolite eXpansion Pack :wink: , but never mind, we are generally not very dogmatic here.

As to the question itself: It is ages since I installed Taranis.oxp and played the mission. IIRC without digging too deep, it contains only one starter mission on which its author wanted to expand, but he never did. So it may be that you didn't actually fail, but it just doesn't continue.

Two questions: What exactly do you mean with "fail". And what does your save-file read? If you have the lines

Code: Select all

<key>mission_taranis_one</key>
		<string>TAR1_COMPLETE</string>
in it, you have completed the mission successfully, as far as it goes.
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

Thanks for the reply, Com. McLane. I wondered about the Expansion Pack forum, but decided that it was more about WIPs than older OXPs - now I know better.

My question was meant to be about the OXP logic rather than the mission itself. Here we go again trying to to avoid spoilers! As far as I can see, there are two and only two conditions which have to be met to consider the mission successful - one for time and one for a kill. And there are two "Thanks and goodbye" messages depending upon success or failure. I met both conditions but got the "Stupid Boy - sod off" ending rather than the "Yay, Superhero" version. My problem is that I cannot see anywhere in the scripts how that message could possibly be given if both success criteria are met.

So, ... IF A AND B THEN "SUCCESS"

IF NOT A OR NOT B THEN "FAILURE"

That seems to me to be what the OXP says, but it isn't what it does. I have to be missing something somewhere.

Mike
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Moved to Expansion Pack for good measure.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

OK, I'm examining OXPs in an effort to understand how they work. So, I've looked at the Taranis mission and played it. I've achieved the stated objective several times, but each time it's resulted in a mission failure. I've read all the plists and the AI and, for the life of me, I can find no reason why this should happen. As far as I can see from the mission briefing AND from my reading of the OXP contents, the criteria for success have been met.

Somehow you still arrive to late. When arriving in time the oxp will add the target ship in the target system. When you kill that ship you have succeed. No further conditions are necessary from than on. The killing of that ship itself sets the conditions in a "death_action" scripts. I just tested it by adding the targetship near my ship and killing it (a tough one). On my next docking at the main station I got the success message incl. a music play.

The code is correct. Just remember that the script restarts every 10 seconds. Over and over again.
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

I'm pretty sure that I arrive within two days - the time limit is three days. And the ship does appear - once right in front of my nose on exiting witchspace, and I do destroy it.

Oh hold on - just thought. Does an old Mission Failed flag stay sitting in my savefile, by any chance? Have I missed something that obvious? (EDIT - forget that one - I went back to a previous save, so the OXP can't have put anything in it).

So what are the chances of two absolutely identical ships in the system, only one of which is spawned by the OXP?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

MKG wrote:
I'm pretty sure that I arrive within two days - the time limit is three days. And the ship does appear - once right in front of my nose on exiting witchspace, and I do destroy it....
So what are the chances of two absolutely identical ships in the system, only one of which is spawned by the OXP?
As far as i remember the ship is added far away from the spacelane. It will definitely not be waiting for you on entering the system. To find it, it transmits a beacon signal for your advanced space compass. I am afraid you killed the wrong target.
(and make sure you have enough fuel when arriving near your target)
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

Thanks Eric - that explains everything. Wrong ship. Now I can stop banging my head and tearing my hair out.

Mike
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

hi

sorry to throw up an old thread but i arrived at the system with the ship i am meant to kill, docked, baught fuel, saved but on launching i cannot find it anywhere.

what shoould the ship look like on my advanced compass? or have i messed it up by saving?

accoirding to my log i have 1 day left?

if i have messed irt up, and i cant find it, will the mission reset for me to have another go?
c
cherrs
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

bigmike20vt wrote:
hi

sorry to throw up an old thread but i arrived at the system with the ship i am meant to kill, docked, baught fuel, saved but on launching i cannot find it anywhere.
Correct, this is one of those oxp's that only adds ships on entering a system. So for meating the ship you must jump out and in again. (Hope you can do that in the "one day left")
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just got this log error regarding this OXP.

19:03:51.307 [station.launchShip.failed]: Cancelled launch for a Python with role trader, as it is too large for the docking port of the Taranis Corporation HQ.
The problem is self-explanatory, and I know it's an old OXP.
So really just a warning to anyone out there flying a Python...
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Smivs wrote:

19:03:51.307 [station.launchShip.failed]: Cancelled launch for a Python with role trader, as it is too large for the docking port of the Taranis Corporation HQ.
It is not so old anymore. It is now updated with JS scripting. Hopefully no bugs slipped into the process :lol:

At least could I play all the options without problems. The station was amazing. About 300 flashers to bring an old computer to a standstill.

About above error: I hope Smivs did edit the file, as a player should be excluded from size detection.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Not a problem for me in fact. The Commander in question flies a Cobra III.
P.S. The flashers on the station are quite nice.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
Smivs wrote:

It is not so old anymore. It is now updated with JS scripting. Hopefully no bugs slipped into the process :lol:

At least could I play all the options without problems. The station was amazing. About 300 flashers to bring an old computer to a standstill.

About above error: I hope Smivs did edit the file, as a player should be excluded from size detection.
It's not the player, but a random trader whose launch was cancelled. I guess the Taranis station has (1) has_npc_traffic set to "yes" and (2) a non-standard dock slightly too small.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
It's not the player, but a random trader whose launch was cancelled.
:oops: I seriously read : "with role Player". I think I am getting old.
The dock it a bit less smaller than a standard dock. I don't know why the trader launched as I never witnessed a trader launch during testing. Also should the auto-launch of npc-traffic only happen with rotating stations.

It is a nice oxp for starters. And now it is in JS, it will also run more efficiently and it will be less of an problem if you leave it installed while not doing the mission.