Real Shipyards

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Real Shipyards

Post by Alex »

HI,
Was wondering if there is a way to disable some of the oxp's in RS. Really getting bored blasting they damn preachers and taxis out of the way! Otherwise it's great.

Funnily enough I'm running it on half the recommended PC needs.. 1.2Ghz cpu 1Gig Ram and ATI graphics card, only problem I've seen is no background stars and nebula.

Happy flying 8)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Real Shipyards

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Alex!

Happy to hear that you have fun with RS!
Alex wrote:
Was wondering if there is a way to disable some of the oxp's in RS. Really getting bored blasting they damn preachers and taxis out of the way! Otherwise it's great.
There is.

But, it involves fumbling around with the shipdata.plist a bit. Make a backup copy of the unmodified one first, just in case something goes wrong. And this is a quick and dirty hack, it might produce error messages because some subentity information stays in unreferenced but this should work.

The quick RS How-To get rid of unwanted ships:

1. You make a list of the in-game names of the ships you want to remove from the game.

2. You open the Realistic Shipyard`s shipdata.plist and search via search function after those names.

3. At each name, you write down the plist name: It´s at the beginning of each shipdata & shipyard.plist entry and says "<key>shipname</key>". Write down those plist names also.

4. Delete the entries of the ships you don`t want in the shipdata.plist. Keep in mind that many ships have different versions, some player and some NPC, and if you want them completely gone, you have to take all of them out. You should already have found them all in step 2.

5. After editing (and saving) the shipdata.plist, open the shipyard.plist.

6. Search for the plist names of the player versions of the ships you want to remove (you won`t find their in-game names here).

7. Remove the entries corresponding to the ships you don`t want.

8. Save your new shipyard.plist.

9. Next time you start the game, remember to press SHIFT while starting so that the game recognises the changes you have made. After that, at every game start you have the oxp without the ships you don`t want.
Alex wrote:
Funnily enough I'm running it on half the recommended PC needs.. 1.2Ghz cpu 1Gig Ram and ATI graphics card, only problem I've seen is no background stars and nebula.
This can lead to stutters and low FPS - but it can also work with lower specs, sometimes.

The "no background stars and nebula bug" is an ATI graphics card bug. Have a look into the PC board, there are big discussions about this problem and I think also one or two solutions available.

It's a problem that has neither to do with RS nor the game Oolite itself but with developers who don't care that their graphic drivers don't give full OpenGL support or somesuch.

Happy flying to you too,

L