Rookie first Upgrade Ship?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I used the RoC as a step to get the Pcc. Found they were both well worth it. though haven't tried a BCC, Recon I'll away and look for one. Though did find it quite hard to keep the pcc's hold full without doing constant contracts. I also keep a super cobra with all the bells and whistles for the days I just want to blast some stuff.
Good thing to do is save your game before buying the new ship. Get new ship then save under a different name. That way you can have a ship to suit every mood.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Alex wrote:
I used the RoC as a step to get the Pcc. Found they were both well worth it. though haven't tried a BCC, Recon I'll away and look for one. Though did find it quite hard to keep the pcc's hold full without doing constant contracts. I also keep a super cobra with all the bells and whistles for the days I just want to blast some stuff.
Good thing to do is save your game before buying the new ship. Get new ship then save under a different name. That way you can have a ship to suit every mood.
About the names: I did the same in the past. It really helps!

About the trouble to fill a PCC or BCC cargo hold:
1) If you install RS (not OSE!) you get the shipyards in many systems close to the stations, effectively doubling the amount you can trade.
2) If you install Thargoids planetary landing capability, you can do the same as you could with RS by landing on the planet. Since OSE won't allow the type of trade named in 1, Thargoids oxp would be the choice for future gameplay.

Furthermore, the large cargo hold is nice when you encounter a system with bad prices: You won't have to sell, but can continue trading, even load more...and often have still a little bit of space left for scooping up things.

Screet
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

My Boa Class Cruiser cargo manifest of items purchased at Lezaer in Galaxy 3...
55t Luxuries
57t Computers
41t Machinery
With several tonnes of cargo space remaining available for additional items.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hi CptEcho,
Err, what's OSE??
Think I came across a few ship yards, Looks like a lot of parking bays at one end then a few spinning bits in the middle and a normalish looking docking bay at the other end? If so I flew right into the normalish looking docking bay, only to see 2 ships parked just off to the left. Turned around and came back out. Went to other end of yard and went right into one of the bays. Had to flip and back out?? Nothing happened. Am I missing something about docking with the bestie?
:?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Alex wrote:
Hi CptEcho,
Err, what's OSE??
Think I came across a few ship yards, Looks like a lot of parking bays at one end then a few spinning bits in the middle and a normalish looking docking bay at the other end? If so I flew right into the normalish looking docking bay, only to see 2 ships parked just off to the left. Turned around and came back out. Went to other end of yard and went right into one of the bays. Had to flip and back out?? Nothing happened. Am I missing something about docking with the bestie?
:?
Yes, same as with salvage gangs: You enter into a big area, can look around (better not turn around, large ships might be destroyed, a Merlin's typically safe to turn in a bay, though) and best proceed straight ahead, as there's finally the dock. You have to fly some distance through it, unlike a station's dock which is right at the outside.

Screet
P.S.: Oolite Shipyards Extensions, successor to Realistic Shipyards and currently is work in progress
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Screet wrote:
2) If you install Thargoids planetary landing capability, you can do the same as you could with RS by landing on the planet. Since OSE won't allow the type of trade named in 1, Thargoids oxp would be the choice for future gameplay.
Just to be clear, not every planetary location has ship-selling facilities. There is a shipyard on the surface of most planets which does though, but it's random as to whether that's where you land.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
Screet wrote:
Just to be clear, not every planetary location has ship-selling facilities. There is a shipyard on the surface of most planets which does though, but it's random as to whether that's where you land.
I didn't notice that yet...but I was more talking about "abusing" the SIRF station as another trading post in order to be able to buy/sell twice as much as usual...and that's exactly what I found your oxp to do...did I miss something there?

Screet
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

How can a boacc be half empty??

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Narcotics
Computers
Firearms
Luxuries
Machinery
..purchased in that order, for the sake of earning potential, is nearly always in excess of 175 tonnes. I only get to machinery when either the narcotics are overpriced (> ¢35, say) or the market is depleted.

Python CC very stylish, though, well suited to a clergyman.

Alas, I have not been ordained.