So when was your First Encounter (fnarr, fnarr) of Elite

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

I first encountered Elite (or one of its derivitives) on a...

BBC/Acorn
35%
Spectrum
12%
C64
26%
Amiga/Atari ST
7%
PC
8%
another 8bit machine I have failed to mention
5%
another 16/32bit machine I have failed to mention
2%
There was something else before Oolite?!?
5%

Total votes: 121

KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I lost my copy of E:TNK when a PC died and I discovered my backup of the HD for some reason didn't include TNK...
There are copies of E:TNK still floating around on independent file sites if you are still after it. I downloaded it last month, just to have a look. Try here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jynhmqvnxyj
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

8) thanks - it ran on my old lappy - it'll be nice to have a copy of Elite with me on my travels.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

This seems like an appropriate thread to stop my forum lurking in.

1985(I think), Acorn Electron( the BBC and CM64 were for the posh kids :-)). Even playing probably the most basic, stripped down version of Elite it still felt immense. The first computer game that had a truly epic feel. I loved the way you could do what you want. Be who you want. Hero or villain, the choice was yours.

I must of played it for thousands of hours over about a year.

Then something happened and I stopped playing. Maybe I lost my copy of the game, I cant remember. I suspect that discovering a new species, the female , was the cause as I would have been about 14/15 at the time :-).

Forward 20+ years and after trying and being disappointed by demos of games like Freelancer and The Threat I was beginning to pine for my first love. Then one day, a few weeks ago, I was looking at videos of some 1980’s games on Utube when after viewing an old Electron Elite clip I read the comments. Oolite was mentioned.

I’M HERE!!! HELLO!!!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hello Azathoth! Welcome to the forum. We can always use some more mindless chaos around here. :D
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Welcome Azathoth - that's another 80s throw-back we've sucked in! Enjoy - we're very friendly here!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Disembodied wrote:
Hello Azathoth! Welcome to the forum. We can always use some more mindless chaos around here. :D
And I thought that was the one commodity we have abundantly here. :wink:

Oh, and: Hi Azathoth, and welcome to the boards (the friendliest this side of Riedquat), an of course to this great game! :D
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

what the hell, ill join in, and bring back an annoying joke, welcome aboard to the boards
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Welcome to the Friendliest Boards This Side of Reidquat™, Azathoth!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

Disembodied wrote:
Do I detect a familiarity with my username :wink:?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :D.

I’ll just be skimming through old posts for the next while to find out all this great tribute to my all-time favourite computer game has to offer. I have nothing much to give this board atm so I wont be posting much. But you never know, maybe one day I will stand on the shoulders of giants and make my own OXP.

One thing I’ve noticed from looking at hundreds of threads, I’ve yet to see a flame or abusive comment. Very rare for the Internet.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Welcome to the Friendliest Boards This Side of Reidquat™
Just out of interest: What are you claiming the trademark for? The typo? :wink:
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

Azathoth wrote:
1985(I think), Acorn Electron( the BBC and CM64 were for the posh kids :-)). Even playing probably the most basic, stripped down version of Elite it still felt immense.
Yes!! Another Electron user. We are not many and we had the snot 'kicked' out of us for having it in the my computer is better than yours fights on the schoolground, but we are proud of the little creamy box.

I've been on a bit of a retro kick lately having found Acorn Electron World http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/index.html. It's fun running the old games (under emulation) on my laptop. Damn if Snapper is just as addictive now as it was back when I was 13. :D
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Azathoth wrote:
1985(I think), Acorn Electron( the BBC and CM64 were for the posh kids :-)).
Second-hand BBC here, disk version, about '84ish… I found the Spectrum version a bit lacking, probably due to having played The Original Elite.

C****** bread-boxes were for the (shall we say) seriously misguided. A Hognose missionary who I bumped into a while ago asked me to pass this on to you lot, unfortunate enough to own these excuses for computers: "REPENT! REPENT! REPENT!"
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

First intro was on a BBC at work, Only portable computer in the place at the time. BAA at the time. Early 80's. Then it was a rush between the tech's and appreticeshipers (I was 2nd yearer then) to see who got to use pc. after a wee while the rest got board with it, probably coz they never learned how to fly properly. We had no manual or literature on the game at all. So I started borrowing pc at night and over week ends, was totally hooked, took a couple of weeks to figure out all the keys. Then 6 months to get to elite, played every night, some times all night.

Some years later my older brother got Frontier on his pc, proper pc by then, mid 90's I think. I had a go at it and hated it coz they took Newton way to serious.

Last year my younger brother e-mailed the web for Oolite 1.65, with the stern warning "Don't go loosing your heed in this wan anaw!"

Err, well, Tis like this wee bro... Too late.
Matt2001
Poor
Poor

Post by Matt2001 »

First played 'the greatest game ever' on the Acorn Electron in 1986, upgraded to a ZX Spectrum a year or so later and got that version too, never really got into it the same way as I did the Elk version though.

Few years later got an Amiga and a copy of the game from a friend, unfortunately it was cracked and didn't allow saves, needless to say that version only got limited play lol.

Another few years later I got a Nintendo NES purely to play Super Mario Bros 3 (my vote for 2nd best game ever) and was amazed and delighted when I found out that 'Elite' was coming out on that system. Played that version more than any other as technically it was the best I had encountered up to that point.

Later years spent on various Playstations/X-Boxes thinking I'd probably never play 'Elite' again, till I got into PC's and finally after all those years discovered 'Oolite' a couple of weeks back and am delighted to say it's the best version of the best game ever, no question about it :D
-- Matt --
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

@Matt2001 - Welcome the the friendliest boards this side of Reidquat! Glad you found your way into Oolite.