Creator Of Worlds!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

I tried uploading my first HD planet to TinyPic because the file is 8MB in size... and I think the site shrunk it down a bit. It's only 1600 by 800 on the site.

http://i43.tinypic.com/68ty03.png

The original is 4096 x 2048, and around 8MB in size. I need to find somewhere that allows free online file storage for a file or a image that big.

{a few minutes later}

OK, I have a free account at FileFactory. Files on this site have a shelf-life of 15 days only. So if anyone wants any planet I create in full high resolution, they need to snap it up fast! I recommend you save these planets, PAGroove... we might have the start of a massive Hi Res Planet OXP in the works here!!

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS PLANET0001 -- download using » Download with FileFactory Basic by entering the 4-character code shown on screen.
Last edited by Pangloss on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

pretty sure box.net allows single file size of 10MB - I know I've got a 9.3MB mp3 file up there on my account.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Pangloss wrote:
I tried uploading my first HD planet to TinyPic because the file is 8MB in size... and I think the site shrunk it down a bit.

http://i43.tinypic.com/68ty03.png

The original is 4096 x 2048, and 8.6MB in size. I need to find somewhere that allows free online file storage for a file or a image that big. Any suggestions (and note: FREE)?
@Pangloss
For which of the planets in the sectors of Galcenter, Teread region or Pulsar worlds (or any other ) you want your planet to be placed in?

We have then 2 guest contributions for the next FP-release. Also you can situate it in the Iron Stars sector. FP is not far of I need 4 textures and then the whole route Lave to Tianve is flyable with completely custom planets and more

See the map:

http://www.snabbtorkande.com/fotos/mapupdate.jpg
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

pagroove wrote:
@Pangloss
For which of the planets in the sectors of Galcenter, Teread region or Pulsar worlds (or any other ) you want your planet to be placed in?

We have then 2 guest contributions for the next FP-release. Also you can situate it in the Iron Stars sector. FP is not far of I need 4 textures and then the whole route Lave to Tianve is flyable with completely custom planets and more

See the map:

http://www.snabbtorkande.com/fotos/mapupdate.jpg
Zadies looks good. Look at my altered post above for a link to the hi-res Zadies (a.k.a Planet0001).

And as I say: the file will be gone in a few days, so snap it up quick!!

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Pangloss wrote:
The original is 4096 x 2048, and around 8MB in size.
:shock:

More! More!
Stromboli
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Stromboli »

Hey guys! Anyone remember me?

Anyway, I think these are some pretty good textures. However, I think some of the continents could use a little more texturing and the color choices could be changed a bit. Water should be darker.

Otherwise, looking good!

Also, I'm gonna be honest and say that you don't need an expensive program to get all this done:

I made this by messing with the magic wand tool and a sandy texture or something, and later overlaid some other stuff.
Space Pirate, and a proud Mac Us-arrr!
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Pangloss »

Lestradae wrote:
Pangloss wrote:
The original is 4096 x 2048, and around 8MB in size.
:shock:

More! More!
There's a description that has always made me smile in the game...

"The planet Lainisri is most famous for its pink oceans..."

"Ceteri is mildly famous for its pink oceans and its exciting sit coms..."

Pink oceans, containing a sizable concentration of bismuth subsalicylate. As a derivative of salicylic acid, bismuth salicylate displays anti-inflammatory action and also acts as an antacid. So nobody on these planets has problems with heartburn, upset stomachs, indigestion... the seas are processed to remove the pink bismuth, and it's sold all over the galaxies in pharmacies (the locals just take a trip to the seaside and buy the stuff in bulk). Because eating nothing but Lave Fried Trumble when you're a trader can be murder on your stomach, these Pink Ocean planets quickly became colonized.

Pink Ocean planet in Hi Def coming right up...
Last edited by Pangloss on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

8) :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

I've been thinking: which of the three pink ocean planets in Galaxy 1 should have this Hi Def treatment? The three contenders are...

# 19. Azaqu = up-map from the Old Worlds. The planet Azaqu is most famous for its pink oceans and Zero-G cricket. But a little too remote for my liking.

#148. Riraes = part of the Devil's Triangle. The world Riraes is fabled for its weird rock formations and its pink oceans. But people go there to die at the hands of pirates, so sod that.

#172. Esveor = just up-right on the chart from the Xexedi Cluster, on the way to the Rexebe-Inera Consortium (I just made that up... but come ON: two worlds with that high Tech Levels just HAVE to be part of a trading partnership for that region). Esveor is mildly famous for its pink oceans and Zero-G hockey.

This is the place. Esveor.

People from the Xexedi Cluster go to Rexebe on holiday, if they can afford it, because Rexebe is mildly famous for its hoopy night life and its exotic cuisine. And if you'll be enjoying a little too much exotic cuisine and spending a little too much time in those hoopy night clubs (kids today, playing their crush-polka music too loud with the bass and the screeching, thinking the can just barge in front of you when you're docking at the ConStore, they don't know they're born...), stop off at Esveor and stock up on some of that Peptoo Bismol at the station.

Plus: we already have a Zero-G Hockey ad on the ConStores!

Uploading planet now. Please stand by...
Last edited by Pangloss on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Esveor. High Resolution, over 14MB, 24-bit PNG. Download here, use FileFactory Basic to download. And remember... it'll be gone in a few days.

You saving these, PA?

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

+

Post by Lestradae »

Pangloss wrote:
You saving these, PA?
You do have them backupped, have you? :shock:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Out of general interest, has anyone seen libnoise before?

http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/index.html

"A portable, open-source, coherent noise-generating library for C++

"libnoise is a portable C++ library that is used to generate coherent noise, a type of smoothly-changing noise. libnoise can generate Perlin noise, ridged multifractal noise, and other types of coherent-noise.

"Coherent noise is often used by graphics programmers to generate natural-looking textures, planetary terrain, and other things."
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Pangloss wrote:
Esveor. High Resolution, over 14MB, 24-bit PNG. Download here, use FileFactory Basic to download. And remember... it'll be gone in a few days.

You saving these, PA?
Downloading as we speak.

Zadies was already done. So may I propose Inonri or Qurave (enroute L4) for your now Zadies- texture?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

libnoise is the very library dajt had used back in the days of 1.65 to make his textured planets version (remember, the one with the Earth- and Mars-like planets?)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Stromboli wrote:
Hey guys! Anyone remember me?

Anyway, I think these are some pretty good textures. However, I think some of the continents could use a little more texturing and the color choices could be changed a bit. Water should be darker.

Otherwise, looking good!

Also, I'm gonna be honest and say that you don't need an expensive program to get all this done:

I made this by messing with the magic wand tool and a sandy texture or something, and later overlaid some other stuff.

Good work!
Do you add an atmosphere or are this airless planets? :shock: