Docking Computer Stratagem revisited

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Docking Computer Stratagem revisited

Post by Lestradae »

I do have a problem and no solution. It's like this.

In my WiP oxp, there are police, navy, pirate and trader ships you can dock at. And sometimes you might attack a pirate or get attacked by one. It might even be that due to some unfortunate misunderstanding you get into a battle with a trader, police or navy carrier who mistook your good intentions and think you are a pirate.

At the moment, it is very easy to defeat such an opponent. You target them, ask for docking permission via SHIFT-C and immediately you hack their computers. They stop fighting, and turn their most woundable side to you so that you might dock. And you can. They will even give your ship a repair service if available.

That makes no sense.

</funnymode>

So, how can I see to it that if players are in a battle with carriers, this docking action doesn't stop the carrier in its tracks? Anyone an idea or two?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You can't. The only thing you can do is launch the player immediatly, before even arriving at the status screen.

Which is a weak substitute, as I am the first to admit. But for the time being it's all we can do.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Commander McLane wrote:
You can't.

:(
Commander McLane wrote:
The only thing you can do is launch the player immediatly, before even arriving at the status screen.
How do I do that? That's a bit better.
Commander McLane wrote:
Which is a weak substitute, as I am the first to admit. But for the time being it's all we can do.
The real problem is that they stop fighting and can become sitting ducks in such a situation. I remember reading that you had a similar problem with the Thargoid Carriers for your Cataclysm.oxp. If they also react to the docking computer, that's not so good. Well, just won't use this when I have reached the 5400 rank and galactic sector 7.

OK, if nothing can be done about that, then that's that for the moment.

Will put in the launching trick at least if you tell me how.

Thanks

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Just wondering if you could do something with a clever AI and a linked JS. Use the AI to catch the docking request and signal the script to check the combat status, and if it's at red alert or has something aiming at it then to refuse all dockings.

One for guru Walch to give his wisdom on perhaps?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

This is a bug in the game. Therefore, topic moved to Bug Reports.

Oh yeah, by the way, as of 1.73 hostile autopilot targets will not be issuing docking instructions.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

another_commander wrote:
Oh yeah, by the way, as of 1.73 hostile autopilot targets will not be issuing docking instructions.
VERY well :D

Does this mean that manual docking with a hostile carrier will also be impossible, or will I still need McLane's fix for this?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You will need McLane's fix. But you have to be a really awesome pilot if you can dock with a carrier which is trying to avoid you, shoot at you and launch fighters at you at the same time ;-)