Malfunction of Advance Space Compass on Upgrade

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lysander
Competent
Competent

Malfunction of Advance Space Compass on Upgrade

Post by Lysander »

Hi guys and anyone with patience!

Following advice given I upgraded as a noob from 1.65 to 1.72.2 9to enable loading of OXPs; all worked well and my saves came in with one strange exception, I can no onger get the Advance Space Compass to function (i.e. using the \ key to toggle between beacons / planet / sun)

I have tried various things including loading a new ship (same effect), saving the ollite Saves folder elsewhere, then uninstalling the complete Oolite system and reinstalling from Berlioz and then re-inserting the retained saves folder into the new download after removing its saves folder , as kindly suggested by one expert in a PM All to no effect Advance space compass still will not function. He suggested my original mistake may have been failing to get rid of 1.65 first, definitely my mistake, which may have caused the snag

Any suggestions appreciated, for example is there a different key function for the ASC in 1.72.1 (if so I have not found it by trial and error). Or is there a way of flogging off an existing ASC and buying a new one (probably will not work as it won't work on a new ship as well!!

Reluctant to do without as it is such a useful tool for locating beacons etc.
If there is a fix i will be hiugely grateful

Thanks, Lysander
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I had that problem, the issue isn't the ASC but your keyboard.

What I did to fix mine is to change the key mapped for the ASC from "\" to "x", as that's just as convenient and not used by Oolite by default.

Best way to do that is to make a folder within your Addons folder called "Config", and then copy the file keyconfig.plist from your resources/config directory into the new one. You can then change the Addons/Config version to suit your wishes (I've moved a few other keys and functions, such as swapping "D" and "d" over to save accidentally dumped cargo when I should be auto-docking).
Lysander
Competent
Competent

Post by Lysander »

Thanks Thargoid, keyboard reconfirured, works beautifully on x as suggested. star turn commander!!

Just found out that I seem to have also lost capacity for the scoop to take in cargo, still takes in fuel from the sun. Cannot continue to rely on yiou guys so will try and find a way around that one too!

Lysander
Lysander
Competent
Competent

OOOPS

Post by Lysander »

Now check out how thick I can be, cargo not loading from scoop simply because the hold was full. Idiot? Yes, not half, sytem now up and running on all cylinders on 1.72.1 thanks to Thargoid!!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OOOPS

Post by Screet »

Lysander wrote:
Now check out how thick I can be, cargo not loading from scoop simply because the hold was full. Idiot? Yes, not half, sytem now up and running on all cylinders on 1.72.1 thanks to Thargoid!!
Hehe, at least you found out yourself ;)

Be sure, that confusion will most probably arise from time to time for a brief period until you notice that you scooped up so much, that your cargo hold is full. I typically only notice that the icon changed red when the next cargo container crashes into my shields instead of being brought aboard.

The strange thing is, the more space I leave in my hold, the less likely it appears that I find much to scoop...and when I leave only few tons free, I typically end up finding several pirates with much cargo. Maybe cargo attracts pirates, I don't know.

It's always a good idea to keep a bit space free: Everything you scoop up is 100% profit, and sometimes you can be as lucky as to scoop up a lot of gems, gold or platin. Pirates often have more of that stuff aboard than a common station has for sale! Furthermore, that doesn't cost space in your cargo hold, but you need to have enough space in order to scoop it in. One day, I had more than a screen full of messages for rescued/captured pilots, which gave a few thousand credits reward from insurance and police!

Screet
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

A tip: dump food when you scoop it, because its far better to have the extra cargo.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
tomsk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tomsk »

wackyman465 wrote:
A tip: dump food when you scoop it, because its far better to have the extra cargo.
Not necessarily. Some places will pay 100cr/tonne for food. ;)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Where? I want!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Constores in Rich Agr. sometimes pay over 100Cr/TC - I guess everybody jumps out loaded with their cheap food and that leaves loads of starving slaves/cons at the constore...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Constores in Rich Agr. sometimes pay over 100Cr/TC - I guess everybody jumps out loaded with their cheap food and that leaves loads of starving slaves/cons at the constore...
I would rather guess an overflow bug in the constores' commodity.plist. :?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I think so - but that's fine - it makes for some interesting trading opportunities for the young Jameson and it doesn't happen all the time...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here