Sidewinder with wingfolding system concept.

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JameSpal
Competent
Competent

Sidewinder with wingfolding system concept.

Post by JameSpal »

Not sure the point.

Just something I scribbled out to see what it might look like, thought I would share.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Interesting.

Having ships change shape, for example based on their AI status could be quite cool. Get effects like the X-wing opening its wings to attack, or like the F14 changing geometry at a certain speed. although its hard to see why you would do that in space/vacuum.

Do any ships (in fact even the x-wing) in oolite do this? I dont remember seeing it, and I am not sure if its currently possible?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmdr James wrote:
Do any ships (in fact even the x-wing) in oolite do this?
None, no (and I know them all).

But it would be a very cool feature for sure.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Looks very Cool! I like how fragile it makes the ship seem, especially if the cockpit bubble was made of glass and you could see the pilot sitting inside similar to Scarecrow's 'Seraphim' model! you'd basically be sitting in something like a hangglider strapped to the front of a huge rocket :shock:
Some basic animation is possible, but nothing keyframeable, I'm not sure if a ships altitude property is bindable to a shader, but if it is you could model all the unfolding panels as seperate subentities and give them a vertex shader that rotates them depending on the ships current altitude value, that way they could gradually unfurl as they move into the planet atmosphere, add some heat glow and it would look pretty cool i reckon.
Last edited by Griff on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Griff wrote:
I'm not sure if a ships altitude property is bindable to a shader, but if it is you could model all the unfolding panels as seperate subentities and give them a vertex shader that rotates them depending on the ships current altitude value, that way they could gradually unfurl as they move into the planet atmosphere, add some heat glow and it would look pretty cool i reckon.
If only someone really competent could be motivated to produce a prototype of that ... :wink:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I have a vertex shader already written that rotates polygons based on engine power, i was going to make some of the vents on the ships animate depending of how fast the ship is moving, i might go back to it - it was a bit fiddly, everything had to be subentities and the rotation pivot had to be a 0,0,0 in the model and then shifted back into place in the shader, a bit of a pain to sort out
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Cmdr James wrote:
although its hard to see why you would do that in space/vacuum.
Opening Fuel Scoop, extending missile pylons from internal storage, uncovering E-bomb.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Looks nice! :) Reminds me of one of the vessels in Tron. The one that flew (or was pulled?) along these energy lines.
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

ooh, is nice, shiny shiny.

that would be a very good idea, mabey also as an enging cool off after long periods of fuel injector use
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I asked about this once in suggestions under "animated ships?" The answer from ahruman was a pretty confident no.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Nice, in a "that looks cool, but it increases the ships size in someone else's targeting reticule" sort of way.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers