Ring Racer OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Ring Racer OXP

Post by Thargoid »

As an offshoot of something else I'm working on, I'd like to take the opportunity to introduce the Galaxy One Corporate States Ring Racer League.

But enough from me, allow me to pass you across to the President of the League:

Boornie Eccles-Cake wrote:
Greetings Ring Racer!

Welcome to the Corporate States Ring Racer League, the fastest and most challenging race league in Galaxy One. All you need is a racing ship with fuel injection and an advanced compass, and your stake money. For a mere 10,000 2000 Credits you can buy a pass to the races at any Corporate State system in Galaxy One.

The first race is in the Zaonce system, with the others distributed all around the galaxy. Once you complete a race the location of the next one is marked on your ships long range chart, and also notified in your ships manifest screen.

Racers are encouraged to post their best times, and to have fun!
Full instructions are in the readme file in the OXP. At the moment it's hosted on Box.net as my webspace seems to be having a Thursday. But if I've got it set up right, you can download the thing from the link below:

- = = Download Ring Racer OXP from Box.net = = -

Requires Oolite v1.72 or above to run.
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Well done thargoid !! :D
One small observation: isn’t the size of the oxp a little bit small comparing the original made my Aegidian. Why?
Also one more question, Leesti is a system that low end machines can barely cope with it if you have asteroid storm installed because there is a lot of traffic due to the extra asteroids that the script from asteroid storm put. Unless that choice was intentional for increasing the difficulty of the race challenge :?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The rings that my OXP uses are different to his, and much simpler in design. His ringpod texture is almost 700KB, mine is 50KB (like his solid hoop, which is more what mine is). I didn't see the need to make it too fancy in an application like this (yet) and wanted to keep things small and simple.

As for Leesti, no particular reason for its choice. If it's too much for people, I can easily move it to Zaonce or somewhere like that ;)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
As for Leesti, no particular reason for its choice. If it's too much for people, I can easily move it to Zaonce or somewhere like that ;)
When you upload a new version, also fix the syntax error in shipdata. There misses a semicolon at the end of the plist. (line 83) As it is now, the rings will probably not be added on a mac.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, updated v1.01 now available (same link as in the first post).

First race moved to Zaonce, and the pesky rogue ; added.

So for those who have downloaded v1.00, please update to v1.01.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Mere 10,000 credits? I sense this is simply entertainment for ridiculously rich people in Swifts?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

wackyman465 wrote:
Mere 10,000 credits? I sense this is simply entertainment for ridiculously rich people in Swifts?
As far as I remember Formula-1 racing was always exclusively for the rich.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Eric Walch wrote:
wackyman465 wrote:
As far as I remember Formula-1 racing was always exclusively for the rich.
Still is, isn't it?!?

:wink:
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You mean you can't afford a mere 10,000 credits?

Come on, let's see some times posted and see whose fastest... :twisted:
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Eric Walch wrote:
When you upload a new version, also fix the syntax error in shipdata. There misses a semicolon at the end of the plist. (line 83) As it is now, the rings will probably not be added on a mac.
oh boy!! i hate those "only for mac needed missing semicolons" things. Even the oxp verifier can not trace them when you work on Windows or Linux :x
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ark wrote:
oh boy!! i hate those "only for mac needed missing semicolons" things. Even the oxp verifier can not trace them when you work on Windows or Linux :x
I do not know the exact reason for this, but plist is a native format on the mac. In the oolite log I see, word by word, exact the same error message as other mac tools generate. So I assume the compiled mac version uses a library function from the mac for its syntax check. Mac oolite uses that for testing at startup and when it contains a syntax bug it just does not load the plist. I often had it during testing when I changed something on a plist and after starting Oolite the ships just didn't appear. Or when the syntax bug is in the AI, it uses a nullAI.plist for that ship.

On linux and windows that syntax test is not that easy and would have to be written by ourselves. On these systems oolite just uses this plists and hopes the errors are not that serious. In most cases it still works or just affects a single ship. But you still have the risk that the plist structure is interpreted wrong and leads to other oolite bugs during gameplay.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Eric Walch wrote:
I do not know the exact reason for this,
Ahruman wrote:
Ark wrote:
But why only in Macs?
Because Macs use Cocoa to parse property lists, while other platforms use GNUstep. Their parsers work differently and are sensitive to different errors.
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

OK FOLKS!

First time in for the 'Cobra MK III' class.

G.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Sadly I'm now in the NE quadrant far from Zaonce. But I will race back to race :) 8)

Nice surprise this OXP Thargoid! :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

gogz69 wrote:
OK FOLKS!

First time in for the 'Cobra MK III' class.
Just did my first run in 1m 38s. And that in a Boa MK2. Almost the whole route on injector speed. For real records we probably need to buy one of those fancy ships. That will cost more that the low starting fee of just 10 000 cr.

And the second course in even 1m 24s. I just noticed I didn't really aim for the ring centre and also dove into almost flat oriented rings to not lose time by moving into a position with a better angle. I never touched a single ring. With ringpods I almost always touch half of the rings. For one is it that I did ringpods with a Cobra III (130 meter wide) and now used a Boa II (65 meter wide). But a screen shot told it all:

The rings are rather wide. I think it would be more challenging when the rings were much smaller. Than you really had to turn for an optimal passing angle.[/img]