Calling all Spam Assassins!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Calling all Spam Assassins!

Post by LittleBear »

Bah! I found Spamers had breached my e-mail defences (23 messages from):-

Email address deleted by mod

Once again thats Email address deleted by mod

Please don't post their e-mail address on any forams you vists as it would be awful if a spam bot picked up Email address deleted by mod and they were to be sent a lot of spam.

Perhaps the Spam Assassins would also like to send Email address deleted by mod some choice comments!

GRR!

Oh once again thats Email address deleted by mod
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Calling all Spam Assassins!

Post by Gimi »

LittleBear wrote:

Please don't post their e-mail address on any forams you vists as it would be awful if a spam bot picked up Email address deleted by mod and they were to be sent a lot of spam.

Perhaps the Spam Assassins would also like to send Email address deleted by mod some choice comments!

GRR!

Could someone who knows more about this explain to me why I should not post Email address deleted by mod anywhere. I don't understand why posting Email address deleted by mod is wrong. It is an Internet e-mail address ( Email address deleted by mod) and posting it on the Internet like this, Email address deleted by mod, should be ok. Could you please exlain why posting Email address deleted by mod is worng.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Calling all Spam Assassins!

Post by ClymAngus »

Where did I put my mail command hooked up to a cron? I know it's in my cshell folder somewhere.
Gimi wrote:
LittleBear wrote:

GRR!

Could someone who knows more about this explain to me why I should not post Email address deleted by mod anywhere. I don't understand why posting Email address deleted by mod is wrong. It is an Internet e-mail address ( Email address deleted by mod) and posting it on the Internet like this, Email address deleted by mod, should be ok. Could you please exlain why posting Email address deleted by mod is worng.
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

LittleBear wrote:
Bah! I found Spamers had breached my e-mail defences (23 messages from):- *@*.co.uk

the e-mail from or sender field is regularly spoofed by spammers.
the e-mail header MAY contain more useful server addresses.
Google for that e-mail shows no real spam activity yet.

strongly suggest moving this thread to " what the f... were we thinking ? "
followed quickly by deletion.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I have been unable to find any information indicating that this address is the source of unsolicited email activities. Therefore I believe that Solas is correct in his assessment. Plus, I consider it somewhat politically incorrect using the board to route spambot traffic from each individual's personal inbox.

Locking and deleting references to email addresses until confirmation of the contrary.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I agree. However, since I once posted a quite similar message, I’d like to point out a distinction: in that case, the address had been used as a contact address in an advert for spamming services.