More details in this thread.

SNOOW!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

In addition, let's not overlook the fact that a small brickwall was traversing the gap, too. Perhaps one full side of the truck was still resting it's wheels on that wall, bringing the possible falling distance further down, and making it more of a tipping distance than falling already.

Gravity is overrated at such speeds - our brains evolved to make accurate guesses at running speed, and that one's max is perhaps somewhere at 45 km/h - if you are an olympia-level runner ...
Last edited by Lestradae on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Speaking of snow - how much snow did you actually get? Are there even snowplows in the U.K.? I hear you guys got 2 days off for about 6 inches of snow.. but here in the northern US, that's barely enough to slow anyone down.. :lol:
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmd. Cheyd Vlos'Olplyn wrote:
OT @ McLane:
Wouldn't happen to be around Lakes Victoria, Tanganika, or Malawi/Nyasa by chance, would ya?
The former.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

More snow - more chaos - kids' schools closed - wife can't get to work (and therefore as self employed at the moment - no pay :( ). I've been told to wait before deciding to go in. Utterly rubbish - oh how the rest of the world must chortle at our ineptitude... :oops:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

wackyman465 wrote:
Speaking of snow - how much snow did you actually get?
This much...

"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

That's ridiculous! This tiny little bit of snow is supposed to shut a whole country down? For more than let's say ten minutes??? :shock:

Shaking his head in disbelief... :roll:

CMcL
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

This morning was a fun drive to work. At about the half way mark there is a big steep hill that we foolishly tried to navigate until we skidded to a halt by a kerb in time to watch a little white van slide sideays down the hill and into another stuck car afte hitting a bench on the pavement. We turned round at that point and tried another route. Made it in though.

Here's what the view from my window is like:

Picturesque, innit?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

My car this morning. Not too much snow but two problems - I live on a 1:3 hill - the snow is sat up a layer of ice from yesterday - I fell on my @rse twice trying to get out of the back yard - heading off to work in a bit though - the gritters have finally been out...

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Star Gazer wrote:
I guess we kind of grew up to ignore weather, and closing schools when the heating failed meant less when you were used to ice on the inside of your bedroom window!
People must've gone soft. I remember waking up and seeing what looked like kiwi feathers on the inside of the bedroom window.

Now it's all double glazing. Not like in my day, when we used to live in a shoebox in t' middle of t' motorway... (not obscure)
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

mad, my school was closed again today! although im not that anoyed. i was even talking to the head teacher and they said closing the school was last resort because there is a parent teacher evening tonight.

snow where i am

and more

and how thick

sorry for the size, and slowness
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Commander McLane wrote:
That's ridiculous! This tiny little bit of snow is supposed to shut a whole country down? For more than let's say ten minutes??? :shock:

Shaking his head in disbelief... :roll:

CMcL
Try Northern Texas. A Texan simply cannot drive worth a damn if so much as an inch of snow falls. They shut the entire city down, as the roads become an instant hockey rink.
But I'll cut them some slack. It rarely snows in Texas, so they're not used to it there.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

It rarely snows in the south of England, either ... hence all the panic down there. Although it's getting a bit wearisome, now, on the news, hearing the London media going on and on and on about it. Especially since a) the snow they've got is hardly that bad and b) there isn't any here. Over the last couple of days the BBC's News 24 has consisted of blanket coverage about the snow ("The Snow! The Snow!"), occasionally pierced by a couple of snippets of information from the rest of the world ("Oh, and some city in India was apparently wiped out by giant locusts from space, RIP. Now back to your pixellated phone footage of people standing in ankle-deep snow and grinning."). Half the bloody newspapers seem to have published special pull-out snow supplements, with page after page of pictures of people staring in awe at what I would have regarded as a child as sorely disappointing amounts of snow, or skiddling about on patchy hillsides with big streaks of grass and mud showing through. Tss...
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

@Wyvern
I lived 15 years in Dallas, and am not THAT far north of there now... (200 miles-ish)... I also spent a few years growing up in northern Wisconsin. I know my snow. :P The problem for North Texas, and even here in Oklahoma isn't snow....

I was just 'snowed in' for 3.5 days last week. It was pathetic... Maybe 2.5 inches... The problem wasn't my ability to drive on snow. It's that we didn't get SNOW. We got ICE. When I cleared some off my storm shelter, I got a good look at it. It was a 1 inch layer of ice, clear as if you'd pulled it out of the icebox on your refrigerator. On top of that was another inch and a half of frozen rain that, once it got into the sun, the top layer melted and it too became ice.

Two years ago, we had a bad ice storm that left over a inch hanging on stuff. We lost trees that were 100 years old. One of the medical clinics I was the network engineer for then was without power for 3 weeks. And I'm not talking the building... I mean the CITY was without power for 3 weeks.

Snow we can deal with. ICE is what gets us in trouble.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Nice pictures, guys.

Selezen, 0235 - Without giving away any personal information, in which counties were those pictures taken?? (I know that DH is in Berkshire)
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »