Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ships cat.

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Old Parishioner
Poor
Poor

Ships cat.

Post by Old Parishioner »

My first post guys. Discovered Oolite the other day when pootling around the internet.

I bought Elite the first day it was out for my BBC. God I was excited, I can still remember the ad. So far ahead of everythin else... for years as well.

Anyway. I was wondering, I've been playing the game for a few weeks now and love the oxp's. The only thing that really get's irritating is the number of our furry stowaways I seem to pick up in cargo pods.

Could it be possible to buys a ships cat (only available at tech level 1 universes) Obvously a normal cat wouldn't do the trick, it'd have to be an expensive trumbler with a large appetite.

Oh, and it'd be neutered for good measure.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Good idea (a cat to eat the Trumbles).

Are there any cats available that can eat trumbles faster than the trumbles can reproduce?
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

CptnEcho wrote:
Good idea (a cat to eat the Trumbles).

Are there any cats available that can eat trumbles faster than the trumbles can reproduce?
The question is: Will the trumbles eat the cats first? Trumbles DO eat slaves the instant I get them on board!

I'd prefer a predatory spider crawling over my screen, hunting the trumbles! :twisted:

Screet
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I've been known to dine on the occasional trumble, though I'm not a felinid and I don't hire out as crew. <hint> BBQ the damned thing. </hint>

As for the felinids of the Ooniverse, most are known to despise trumbles with a passion and are willing to remove the pests with a handblaster, blowtorch, large wrench, or anything else that can be used as a weapon of trumble mass destruction overkill.
Only one felinid that I know tries to make a side business out of selling trumbles to unsuspecting commanders.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Of course everybody meant to say: "Welcome aboard Old Parishioner!"

:lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Aye, welcome aboard!

Maybe you could speak with Hesperus about joining your crew. I'm sure he'd be willing to bring eat a few trumbles...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Old Parishioner
Poor
Poor

Ships cat.

Post by Old Parishioner »

Oh, I know about the BBQ. That's not the issue.

The thing is I'm on a diet and apparently trumbles are bad for the old cholesterol.

Whereas a cat, nice soothing things, give em a stroke now and again.

I thought about a dog, but....they'd want too much attention when you're trying to polish a few pirates of an asteroid for example.

So: Wanted. Ships cat, must be cabin trained. low maintenance. Good trumbler. Anyprice within reason.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Old Parishioner, and first of all welcome to the boards, and of course to this great game! :D

I see one problem with your idea of a ship's cat: The most prominent feline in these regions of space is actually known for selling (and therefore spreading) trumbles, not eliminating them. Now, if this is an in any way representative sample, you won't see a trumble-eating cat soon, I'm afraid. :wink:
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Commander McLane wrote:
I see one problem with your idea of a ship's cat: The most prominent feline in these regions of space is actually known for selling (and therefore spreading) trumbles, not eliminating them. Now, if this is an in any way representative sample, you won't see a trumble-eating cat soon, I'm afraid. :wink:
How about my spider suggestion in that case? Wouldn't it be fun to have a spider hunt down a trumble and eat it, the trumble shrinking until it's dead and falls off the ship? :twisted:

You wouldn't have to see blood that way, as spiders are more likely to bite and then suck them dry. Could leave the famous trumble furs known from Elite!

With cats I would see the problem that the trumbles eat the cats. Spiders use poison which cats do not have...and trumbles can eat things much bigger and stronger than a cat (e.g. slaves)...but I bet they cannot deal with a horrible spiders bite that liquifies their interior :twisted:

Have you ever tried to tell a cat what (not) to do? I bet the results were horrible! Have you ever tried the same with a spider? I've found that it works quite often!

Screet, quite happy that he hasn't been trumbled for some days now!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Me, I just tell the trumbles to do some maintenance to repair my side mining lasers... :twisted:
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I actually like the idea of a ships pet (maybe a spider) or maybe some kind of carniverous plant, a "Vezadii Fly Trap" perhaps?

Although, I dont think we want to go too far down the oolite-tamagochi route :)
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

how about a robot. they have made one that needs to eat slugs to survive, so it could work with trumbles, and a robots cooler than a cat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

0235 wrote:
...a robots cooler than a cat.
Probably not anymore in the 32nd century. :wink:
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I dunno, it would have to be one cool cat to be as cool as my on-board butler robot....
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Trumble Cat. Close friends get to call him "T.C." :wink:
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers