Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Favourite ship

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

JameSpal wrote:
My favorite ship is the Python Class Cruiser. Simple, classic looks. Good cargo/speed/maneuverability ratio.

I had one for a while, then started over with a new commander and I so used to docking sideways with the PCC that I flubbed my first few dockings in the Cobby.
Ooh, that must've hurt! :lol:
As for the multiple lasers, bigger lasers thing, I'd like to see a cooling system "hack". Like you can take your ship to a shady ship yard somewhere and for some ridiculously huge fee, and at the cost of some cargo space, they will hack your laser cooling system into your cabin climate control system.

So with the hack, when you get your lasers too hot, they will continue to function at - or close to - full power and rapidity, but at the cost of cabin temp. If you keep at it for too long, your cabin will overheat and the next thing you know it's "Press Space" Commander.

I can imagine getting into a situation where you are getting cut up by a band of pirates, you have one in your sights, but your cabin temp meter is flashing in your face. One of the baddies is venting plasma, but one more shot might kill you.

Classic Elite drama, just updated and tweaked a bit.

In Oolite - just by the nature of modern computers - you have the opportunity to face down many more enemies at the same time than you did in classic Elite. It would be nice to have a little more ability to fight a few more before getting into the turning competition with them waiting for your lasers to cool down.
Interesting idea, but I think it best to practice your laser-fu.
Learn to fire in short bursts, then your laser won't heat as fast - or rather, your laser cools a bit between bursts. A hardhead drops shields, meaning less work for your lasers. When outnumbered, - and sometimes you do encounter dozens of pirates waiting to ambush you in a small area - slap the lot of them with an E-bomb, or failing that get out of dodge. Even the Elite knows when running away is a good idea.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Sniper python: Well, it would turn fast, but not move fast... Not a useful player ship, but an interesting NPC...?

And here's a technobabble reason not to do that, James:

Your laser is powerful enough to melt duralium, correct? Now how much heat does it dissipate on-board? Now how big and powerful is the cooling system for it? How big and powerful is your cabin cooling system on-board? How fast does your ship heat up near the sun or in atmo?

You do the math. It's useless.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

JameSpal wrote:
My favorite ship is the Python Class Cruiser. Simple, classic looks. Good cargo/speed/maneuverability ratio.
Can the Python Class Cruiser install Military Shield Enhancement and the Naval Energy Unit?
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
JameSpal
Competent
Competent

Post by JameSpal »

CptnEcho wrote:
JameSpal wrote:
Can the Python Class Cruiser install Military Shield Enhancement and the Naval Energy Unit?
MSE - yes.

NEU - I'm not sure actually. I don't have it on mine, but if it's something you have to go looking for (complete a certain mission or something), I may not have come across it or had money to buy it when I did. It has seven energy bars on the HUD though, so I've never wanted for more energy - OK maybe a couple of times, but far less often than I do in the Cobra.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

(Sorry to repeat myself and others.)

There are no multiple lasers for player ships, and there won't be laser coolers. Live with it.

And, as our current Grand Admiral likes to put it: For games that are different from Oolite, see: games that are not Oolite. (Read: if you want a bunch of un-Oolitey features, you'd better find yourself another game to play)
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

Commander McLane wrote:
(Sorry to repeat myself and others.)

There are no multiple lasers for player ships, and there won't be laser coolers. Live with it.

And, as our current Grand Admiral likes to put it: For games that are different from Oolite, see: games that are not Oolite. (Read: if you want a bunch of un-Oolitey features, you'd better find yourself another game to play)
I'll be sure to put the laser temperature hack thing in my next GM7-made cheesy topdown space shooter game then. Might even call it "Not Oolite" :P
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

i like the Frog space rickshaws because as i pirate the are good target practice,

but i also love the Falcon, but thats because im a huge starwars geek.

but the best is the "retro adder" in the assassins OXP, it is amazing, whoever made it is a genius.