Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How many kills do you have!!!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Kill counter

1-100
18%
101-500
8%
501-1000
8%
1001-2000
16%
2001-5000
18%
5001-10000
13%
10001+
11%
How do I check???
8%

Total votes: 38

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Yeah, maybe I should start playing Oolite in german for the cool words...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

wackyman465 wrote:
Now thats funny! I am german and I prefer the english version, as usual. I hate german translations, and for tech stuff german words often appear very funny or strange to me. For games I bought and which came in german only, I quite often did download the english original and used the german CD only for the copy protection/serial number. Sometimes even scientists make things wrong, for example the book "design patterns" also had all those code parts and names for the patterns translated into german, which says clearly that those "professionals" who translated it never understood the book. As you might guess, I went for the english version.

On the other hand, this seems to be some sort of international "problem", that words from other languages appear to be more "cool". Sometimes this leads to really funny things: mixing words of two languages into a new word is the most common (example: gedownloadet instead of download(ed) or heruntergeladen). Shortly after 9/11 there was a stupid supermarket who wanted to sell backpacks (rucksack in german, the same word also being used in english, as I understand). They did want to make it more interesting than a common german rucksack, failed to select the proper word and advertised "body bags" (yes, I do like black humour).

Screet
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

"body bags"? :shock: Might be useful how...?

It might get annoying after a while if I actually knew much german, but I would far rather have a Kaiserkurier than an Imperial Courier (This might be wrong/offensive, blame my translation software...).
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

re: "body bags"

LOL 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

German

Post by Alex »

Hi all,
I only know one word in german and it sounds like "Acht Tuoone" As far as i know it means "Excuse me sir, I do believe your musical insturment needs tuning" Quite clever they germans, a whole sentence in one word.

I loved the ruck sack-body bag. laughed a lot at that.

Danka for your attention
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: German

Post by Commander McLane »

Alex wrote:
Hi all,
I only know one word in german and it sounds like "Acht Tuoone" As far as i know it means "Excuse me sir, I do believe your musical insturment needs tuning" Quite clever they germans, a whole sentence in one word.
Oh, you've seen nothing yet. There is even another one that translates into "I don't want to be overly rude, sir, but your knowledge of our beautiful German mother tongue really sucks." :wink:

Nah. Just kidding. :D
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Wouldn't it be father tongue, if we're talking about german? or is that just the fatherland... :D
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

wackyman465 wrote:
or is that just the fatherland... :D
No ... that is back in history and better stays there :wink:
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

aye!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Lestradae wrote:
wackyman465 wrote:
Oh, indeed!
The Germans, bless 'em, have tried very hard to put that insanity behind them. They're not happy with being reminded of it.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
wackyman465 wrote:
Oh, indeed!
The Germans, bless 'em, have tried very hard to put that insanity behind them. They're not happy with being reminded of it.
<off-topic>
I do believe it's somewhat illegal to display swastikas and/or use Nazi slogans in Germany now. Anyway 'nuff said on that, really.
</off-topic>

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

Screet wrote:
wackyman465 wrote:
Now thats funny! I am german and I prefer the english version, as usual. I hate german translations, and for tech stuff german words often appear very funny or strange to me.
(...)
On the other hand, this seems to be some sort of international "problem", that words from other languages appear to be more "cool".
Speaking from a Dutch perspective, when it comes to technical translations I often prefer the German ones over the English ones even though my German is far worse then my English (fortunately it is just a dialect of Dutch :P )
Even "Datei speichern auf ihre Festplatte" somehow seems cooler then saving data on your harddisk :mrgreen:

(although I have the impression that the more people talk about something, the more they are inclined to use their own language. Ten years ago, here it would be "Data naar je harddisk saven", but now our locals are fast reverting to "Bestanden op je harde schijf opslaan". I find that amusing)
Last edited by Erai on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Funny, that. My mother tongue is german, and I prefer the english version, because it sounds cooler to me 8)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but at one point, wasn't it illegal to even make jokes about nazis?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
<off-topic>
I do believe it's somewhat illegal to display swastikas and/or use Nazi slogans in Germany now. Anyway 'nuff said on that, really.
</off-topic>
Not 'somewhat'. The use of Nazi symbols is a criminal offense in Germany, as is denying the holocaust, by the way. Which is why German neo-nazis have come up with symbols that bear a striking resemblance to nazi symbols (everybody gets the message at once) without being actual nazi symbols, so it's legally safe for them.
wackyman465 wrote:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but at one point, wasn't it illegal to even make jokes about nazis?
Guess I'll have to correct you here. Making jokes about nazis was certainly never illegal (except if you mean between 1933 and 1945, of course; where it would equal certain death). Which doesn't mean that there couldn't have been lawsuits about any particular joke. I could imagine that German prosecutors would get interested if lets say a neo-nazi group would start using jokes as camouflage for transporting actual nazi ideology. Thank heavens most neo-nazis would be too dumb for that anyway, though. ('Subtlety' is not what one would particularly attribute to nazism in general.)