Which way to Witchspace?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

You’re covered in misplaced thetans! Here, this cute little trumble will help. Oh, no charge, we do this to help our fellow manoid.
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

An low did the Holy Braben speak, "For thy Thargoids are the most blessed ones, for thy many and thy weapons are awesome. For thy deadly aim, kew fighters, and funky colours, no other can match thy selves."

And as he hovered above the masses making third-person-shooter and theme park sims, but not his most holy of works he spake, "Have faith in me, for my works art many and my dream is to release it bug free this time. If the trumble of fear naws at you, strike it down with the mighty breadbin. For I am the Braben, have faith in me and you shall be rewarded in the holly gamers bliss of geekdom."

An so art the words of the the Holy Braben.

This message brought to by the Holy Church of Elite - Thargoid Orthodox.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

KZ9999 wrote:
An low did the Holy Braben speak, "For thy Thargoids are the most blessed ones, for thy many and thy weapons are awesome. For thy deadly aim, kew fighters, and funky colours, no other can match thy selves."

And as he hovered above the masses making third-person-shooter and theme park sims, but not his most holy of works he spake, "Have faith in me, for my works art many and my dream is to release it bug free this time. If the trumble of fear naws at you, strike it down with the mighty breadbin. For I am the Braben, have faith in me and you shall be rewarded in the holly gamers bliss of geekdom."

An so art the words of the the Holy Braben.

This message brought to by the Holy Church of Elite - Thargoid Orthodox.

HERESY!

HOW DARE YOU invoke the name of the Braben in this most sacred place of the Almighty Giles the Creator! I shall pray for your immortal savefile that The Great Creator does not smite you down for befouling his holiest of places with your vile imprecations!

For it is said, verily in the Book of Giles (Unabridged Copy, Chapter 2, Verses 1-6):
"Thou shalt speaketh not the name of Braben for, yea, though he didst create a form of the Ooniverse in the Time before Time, known to the sages and mystics as 1984, he didst turn from the true light and cast off his gestalt-brother Bell. He went forth into the vastness of beyond and didst there forge for himself an alternate Universe. But it was not good, for the interstellar depths were blue, not the black that we know and he didst cast away those worlds that were familiar to the followers of Bell-Braben, so that man couldst not navigate as he once did."

Book of Giles (Unabridged Copy, Chapter 3, Verses 15-22)
"But lo, as the hopes of the masses dwindled in the empty promises of the false creation, Elite IV, there camest a ray of golden light. from within that light stepped one who was at one man, god, prophet and Holy Programmer. His name was Giles, to be know as Giles the Creator, or The Great Creator and He used His mighty Device, the Mackintosh, for he was also the Mac-Daddy and conjured from within the immensitude of his mind, the true Ooniverse, where the stars had proper names and space was black as black could be and all was good.
And he spake unto the masses, 'Sod this for a lark, you lot can sort out the bugs.'
And it was done."

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Poobah of the Church of Giles the Creator
(All donations to the church will go toward good charitable causes. Please name Captain Hesperus as recipient of all Credits donated)
The truth, revealed!!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Amen!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I think it should be Bell & Braben the Creators,

and

Almighty Giles the Resurrector and Ennobler.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Nay! There is no god but Giles, and Ahruman is his prophet!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

wackyman465 wrote:
Hey..

We have the setup for an OXP here. Religions and sekts. Good counter weight to Commies and further expansion on the idea of Black Monks.

Brabenites and Gileites, with the former being purists adverse to progress and only flying plain stock ships, and the latter being progressive and flying Griffs ships.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

But Giles made the Oolite stock ships…
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Ahruman wrote:
But Giles made the Oolite stock ships…
Hmmm..

Suppose he did, but I would give B&B the credit for their design though. And original game idea came from B&B, so some credit is due.

However, I am eternally grateful for Giles and Your effort for bringing us Oolite, and I don't expect much in the way of Elite stuff from anywhere else in my lifetime.

(With the exception of FFED3D and it's like, but I have already played through FFE and Oolite offers something new.)
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

I appolise for my heresy

Post by KZ9999 »

Oh forgive my utterances in the temple of Giles. I shall let a score of trumbles nibble on me as penance.

As for ships for the religious wars, why not use the ships featured in Archimedes Elite. There is the was the Hognose ship featured in the game used by monks of a religious order so they could spread the word. The ship wasn't even as fancy as an escape pod, since it was actually a target drone sold off by the Navy.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Praise be to Captain Hesperus, for such an in-depth knowledge of the Book of Giles.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Captain Hesperus

Re: I appolise for my heresy

Post by Captain Hesperus »

KZ9999 wrote:
Oh forgive my utterances in the temple of Giles. I shall let a score of trumbles nibble on me as penance.

As for ships for the religious wars, why not use the ships featured in Archimedes Elite. There is the was the Hognose ship featured in the game used by monks of a religious order so they could spread the word. The ship wasn't even as fancy as an escape pod, since it was actually a target drone sold off by the Navy.
There are missionary ships in Oolite, the Church of Giles the Creator is represented by an Adder, the Happy Eye Preachers are represented by a Shuttle, the maniacal Wichspace Lobster Worshippers are rusty old Worms and the Zenarchy Monks are a Transporter. They are available on the Wiki, just search for missionaries.oxp

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I appolise for my heresy

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
KZ9999 wrote:

There are missionary ships in Oolite, the Church of Giles the Creator is represented by an Adder, the Happy Eye Preachers are represented by a Shuttle, the maniacal Wichspace Lobster Worshippers are rusty old Worms and the Zenarchy Monks are a Transporter. They are available on the Wiki, just search for missionaries.oxp

Captain Hesperus
I thought the Happy Eye preachers scooted about in customized escape pods?
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I'm pretty sure they do.

Mayhaps we could have small fringe cults, like the Wackites, of which I am the 465th?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Gimi wrote:
wackyman465 wrote:
Hey..

We have the setup for an OXP here. Religions and sekts.
Which already exists for ages. Or do you think Hesperus invented the Church of Giles the Creator (CGC) here on the spot?