Please help a wayward and lost commander

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Please help a wayward and lost commander

Post by kcallis »

Alright... I can remember playing Elite on an Apple ][e, for those who remember the days. So I jump on my Linux version of Oolite (Ubintu 8.10, and sporting 1.72 Oolite) and life is somewhat great.

Of course, there is a slight problem. It took me a few time to master making my way into a Station in Lave, but finally make it in. Life is great, I make some decent purchases on Lave (although 100 credits only goes so far) and I am off to my next run.
I fly to my next system run, find the nav buoy and do my 180 reversal to look for the station, and the only thing I see is a planet. Now, is there some trick to find the stations, because I drive I speed to the planet and never did find a station.
No problem... Because of a slight mishap, I had to start over. I decided to head to a different system. Still no station!!! A lot of Cobras, ConFed Vipers, pirates and Anacondas, but no station... So please give me points on finding the stations. I am not sure if there so something that I am missing on the 3-D screen, but I am lost... And out of fuel!!!
Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope! Sorry, wrong saga...
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Welcome aboard, kcallis.

Okay. Did you see the nav bouy *just after* you jumped in system? If so, this is the Witchspace Beacon (that your ship's navi-comp homes in on during Hyperspace). Point the sharp end of your ship at the planet and rack up the engines to full power. If your scanners are clear, hit the In-system or Torus Drive (press 'j'). Keep heading into the system, until you see a green 'S' in the bottom left hand side of your screen. At this point you will usually see the planet icon in your compass has shifted off-centre. This is because the ship's sensors have detected the homing signal of the navigation bouy that is located 25km from the space station. reorient onto that beacon and head to it. The station should rapidly come into view. All that remains is to remove several layers of paint and duralium from your hull dock.

If you have done the above and there is still no station....uhh, dunno.

On a sidenote, it has often been said that a Trumble helps with locating a space station as it soothing chirrps and purrs calm your frazzled senses. I can get you one for the lo, low price of Cr30. Interested?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Thanks for the info...

Post by kcallis »

I finally found my buoy and from there found the station... But it does take a good deal of time even at highest rate of speed to get to the station. Once I get a mass lock, I am pretty stuck, huh.
Captain Hesperus

Re: Thanks for the info...

kcallis wrote:
I finally found my buoy and from there found the station... But it does take a good deal of time even at highest rate of speed to get to the station. Once I get a mass lock, I am pretty stuck, huh.
Try, when you arrive in system, orienting your ship 90 degrees from the planet and engage the Torus Drive for 10-20 seconds. Then reorient so that the planet is dead centre on the compass, maintaining Turos Drive thrust. This should hopefully decrease your journey time.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

In addition to the Great Captain H's words - I'd add that some planets seem to mass lock you further out than others (i.e. early on Leesti - you get pretty close - Diso - loooong way away (at least with Diso.oxp installed - don't know if this is true for normal Diso system)

I often aim for the station while still under Torus drive once the station has been ID by the nav computer.

Also remember that sometimes the station is pretty much on the otherside of the planet so it can take a long time to get to it.

I've recently started again and Fuel Injectors are high on my list of purchases! :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Thanks for the info...

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Try, when you arrive in system, orienting your ship 90 degrees from the planet and engage the Torus Drive for 10-20 seconds. Then reorient so that the planet is dead centre on the compass, maintaining Turos Drive thrust. This should hopefully decrease your journey time.

Captain Hesperus
At this stage in your career, your ship is kitted rather poorly and your laser-fu is weak, so you won't stand much of a chance in an encounter with pirates. Pirates are everywhere, even in relatively safe corporate states and democracies, and they often upgrade their ships with at least a foreward beam laser.

Continue doing the abovementioned maneuver until you've got some decent combat kit on your ship.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
In addition to the Great Captain H's words - I'd add that some planets seem to mass lock you further out than others (i.e. early on Leesti - you get pretty close - Diso - loooong way away (at least with Diso.oxp installed - don't know if this is true for normal Diso system)
'Cos some planets are bigger than others, so their gravity well stretches further out ;)

Frame's Gas Giants (in solar system.oxp) have a reach almost as long as GalCop's!
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

DaddyHoggy wrote:

I often aim for the station while still under Torus drive once the station has been ID by the nav computer.

Also remember that sometimes the station is pretty much on the otherside of the planet so it can take a long time to get to it.

I've recently started again and Fuel Injectors are high on my list of purchases! :lol:
Ok, I must be missing something, because when I hit "R", it still takes forever to id a target. So when I make the witch jump into a system, I go pull throttle towards the plan. Is the scanner that sensitive to id a station from so far away?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

When you arrive in a system you are a long way from the planet and the station. Your basic compass can't see the station at this range, just the planet. However, as you move in closer (using the Torus "J" jumpdrive) you can usually spot the station visually long before your compass can. Look for a little rotating blob in orbit around the planet.

Your "R" key ident system can only identify things in your scanner range, i.e. when you can see a blob/lollipop corresponding to the object you are identifying. It won't be able to ID the station until it's on the scanner as a big green blob/lollipop: by that time you'll be inside the station aegis (there will be a big "S" beside the scanner) and the station will be too big to miss.

Check out this illustrated tutorial for more info (and frankly a better explanation than the one I've given here...). :)
Captain Hesperus

kcallis wrote:
Ok, I must be missing something, because when I hit "R", it still takes forever to id a target. So when I make the witch jump into a system, I go pull throttle towards the plan. Is the scanner that sensitive to id a station from so far away?
The 'r' button is for the Target System Memory Upgrade and it only functions on objects you have previously stored in the ship's targeting computers. When you get in-system, as I say, fly for ten-twenty seconds at right angles to the planet to get you away from the major shipping lanes, then use your Torus Drive ('j' button) this should move you at a great rate of knots, with a minimum of mass-locking. If you find you are still getting mass-locked by ships but still a long way from the planet, just fly further out of the space lanes and ty again.
Do you have the Advanced Space Compass or the basic model? With the basic model you should only have the option of the planet (a solid green circle when approaching or a hollow red ring when moving away from) and the sun (a yellow-filled green ring for approaching and a yellow-filled red ring when moving away from).

Captain Hesperu
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
kcallis wrote:
The 'r' button is for the Target System Memory Upgrade and it only functions on objects you have previously stored in the ship's targeting computers. When you get in-system, as I say, fly for ten-twenty seconds at right angles to the planet to get you away from the major shipping lanes, then use your Torus Drive ('j' button) this should move you at a great rate of knots, with a minimum of mass-locking. If you find you are still getting mass-locked by ships but still a long way from the planet, just fly further out of the space lanes and ty again.
Do you have the Advanced Space Compass or the basic model? With the basic model you should only have the option of the planet (a solid green circle when approaching or a hollow red ring when moving away from) and the sun (a yellow-filled green ring for approaching and a yellow-filled red ring when moving away from).

Captain Hesperus
Sorry Cap, the "R" key activates the ID system.

From Ye Olde Oolite Reference Sheet:
Kcallis, you'll find this reference in your ship's glovebox. (In the game directory or as a link in your menu.)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

And for whatever more questions you have:

It is always a good idea to consult the Oolite-section of the Elite-Wiki, which provides you with tons and tons of in-depth information. Good starting points for finding the answers to general questions are the Frequently Asked Questions-page (the 'how do I get to the station fast' question is in fact answered there) and the Oolite Instruction Manual. From there you will find your way through the links.

There is also comprehensive information about the available Ships, the Equipment that can be bought and fitted to these ships, and the different types of Stations you may see in the game.

Or, if you are interested in the backstory of Oolite and the events and powers that shape the Ooniverse you could start on the Powers & Organisations-page.

Everything about the possibility to expand Oolite with Oolite eXpansion Packs (OXPs), including a quite comprehensive list of all available OXPs and their download locations, can be found on the OXP-page. There is also a page that deals especially with the available Missions in Oolite.

Last but not least, the Oolite Index page provides you with quick links to all articles in the Wiki.

And if you still have questions that are not answered in any of these places, feel free to ask them here, on the friendliest board this side of Riedquat. Chances are that somebody is around who knows--and is happily willing to provide--the answer. :wink:
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

station

Post by Alex »

Hi and welcome to the ooniverse
I found it quicker to angle away from the planet at 45 degrees. easily maintained by having the planet on your radar half way from the centre dot to the out side range. after a wee while pull up till you see the planet, if it's still a long way angle down again. A quick way to find the station is to put the edge of the planet just in view to port or starboard then pull up gently while turning to keep the planet edge in view, you will either see the station come up or show on your radar as a green square if in front or red square if behind.
My first purchase was to get a bigger hold. Advanced compass. then military laser for the front. I used this approach to avoid contact with pirates till I could get a real laser. Then I had to learn how to use it. It's a sharp learning curve, coz to fail any encounter usually means trying to hold your breath for a very long time.
DaddyHoggy

Re: station

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Alex wrote:
Hi and welcome to the ooniverse
I found it quicker to angle away from the planet at 45 degrees. easily maintained by having the planet on your radar half way from the centre dot to the out side range. after a wee while pull up till you see the planet, if it's still a long way angle down again. A quick way to find the station is to put the edge of the planet just in view to port or starboard then pull up gently while turning to keep the planet edge in view, you will either see the station come up or show on your radar as a green square if in front or red square if behind.
My first purchase was to get a bigger hold. Advanced compass. then military laser for the front. I used this approach to avoid contact with pirates till I could get a real laser. Then I had to learn how to use it. It's a sharp learning curve, coz to fail any encounter usually means trying to hold your breath for a very long time.
Holding your breath for a very long time isn't in fact possible - since the air in your lungs is at a very high pressure compared to the outside vaccum - you would tend to explode - of course as your blood boils - you'll tend to scream a lot which will quickly empty your lungs and remember to squeeze your eyes very tight otherwise the pressure of the fluid inside them will squeeze them out of your head before they too go pop.

Human beings and the vaccum of space is not a good mix.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: station

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Holding your breath for a very long time isn't in fact possible - since the air in your lungs is at a very high pressure compared to the outside vaccum - you would tend to explode - of course as your blood boils - you'll tend to scream a lot which will quickly empty your lungs and remember to squeeze your eyes very tight otherwise the pressure of the fluid inside them will squeeze them out of your head before they too go pop.

Human beings and the vaccum of space is not a good mix.
It's only a difference of one atmosphere. You wouldn't really explode, and your eyes wouldn't pop out, any more than your lungs or eyes collapse inwards if you take a deep breath and swim down to 10 metres underwater (also a pressure difference of one atmosphere). You might damage your lungs a bit if you hold your breath in a vacuum, although probably not much, because they're surrounded by blood, guts etc. which are all pressurised. Your blood won't boil either, because it's inside the skin. It's not a great place to be, but it shouldn't be instantly lethal.

Of course, come of us have our own internal oxygen supply and carbon scrubbers ... 8)