Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Trumble

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

OK I like your story, 2 ideas come from it.

1) Trumble steam and clean service. lower cost but has a chance of screwing up your kit. You know, bandying around flame throwers inside a ship probably invalidates the warrantee.

2) The Trumble whisperer! Occasionally this dude will offer his services, double the price but your kit doesn't have to take a random breakage roll.

It's a nice idea, it gives people options other than popcorning your ship. As I see it trumbles were created to catch people out once, if they're going to be a regular hazard of space fairing then you've got to make them easier to clean.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Trumble whisperer could be Trumble Charmer, you hear some indian snake charming when you pay for his services and all the Trumbles head in the same direction out of shot.

I always thought it was a shame they didn't cycle colours when they eat narcotics :D
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ClymAngus wrote:
As I see it trumbles were created to catch people out once, if they're going to be a regular hazard of space fairing then you've got to make them easier to clean.
If they only had problems eating everything. If they would die from poison, then a trumble would make the best poison-detector available for feudal states: Feed a trumble with a bit of your food. If it dies, the food is bad. If it spawns another trumble, the food appears to be OK, but if requires to verify that the original trumble didn't create immunity to poison, thus it has to be poisoned, leaving it's offspring as the next poison detector :twisted:

If that would work, I could imagine that those creatures have been genetically manipulated to be the way they are!

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The only minor technical problem is that player.ship.removeEquipment("EQ_TRUMBLE") doesn't... :evil:
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
The only minor technical problem is that player.ship.removeEquipment("EQ_TRUMBLE") doesn't... :evil:
...and the same bug comes in with scooping up additional trumbles. The text is there, but nothing happens. Same for the flying dutchman.

Maybe that observation you made explains why I didn't get rid of the trumble with the repellant? I thought I might accidentally have selected the wrong option when it did stay, but maybe it's also due to the bug you mentioned.

Some other thing is strange, too: When all trumbles are dead, the save-file of the player still contains many lines for those beasts! The trumble count is set to zero, though.

Screet
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

*reads*
*laughs sinisterly*
Arexack_Heretic, wherever you are, those Super-Trumbles were worth the time to breed....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'm not sure it's a bug per-se, more that the coding was I guess created just with the inbuilt trumble "mission" in mind. So neither the possibility of multiple trumbles (other than by their inbuilt duplication) nor their removal by any other means than the BBQ were required considerations.

I was having an off-day and considering writing a "nice" OXP to give a trumble removal service, but as the above code singularly didn't do what it said on the tin it kinda stopped before it started, and I came back to my senses ;)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Screet wrote:
Funny...there really should be some predator out there, aside from that Commander Wyvern! I guess he could make more money as a trumble eating passenger than by flying his own ship.

Screet
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're probably right! Why pay for room and board, when I can be paid and roomed just to munch my fill of trumbleburgers.

Alas, there's two problems with that.
Trumbles multiply faster than I can eat them, and they're rather fattening.
And, unlike the other vermin of the Ooniverse, they're not much of a challenge to hunt and they don't fight back very well...apart from damage to the ship and cargo.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thargoid wrote:
I was having an off-day and considering writing a "nice" OXP to give a trumble removal service, but as the above code singularly didn't do what it said on the tin it kinda stopped before it started, and I came back to my senses ;)
Funny. I went through exactly the same once! :D
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

According to rumor, trumbles originated on some boghole planet in Chart 5.

There must be a natural predator on that planet, that can tear a trumble infestation to shreds. It would be big money for the commander discovering and distributing that predator.

Now trumbles and crime... In space, trumbles are a nuisance.
But if one was released on an agricultural world, even accidentally, it would doom the local ecology. GalCop may consider the deliberate release of a trumble on an ag world to be an act of malicious sabotage, or bioterrorism.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

this is a bit random, but i had a Trumble, how do you know how many you have, except for the one floating around on the screen, but i only had them for a short time.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thargoid wrote:
Is there anyway from an external OXP to change the temperature of the ship (i.e. as if it was flying close to the sun)? If yes then the trumble removal service could "bake" the ship safely while docked cooking the little blighters
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yes, player.ship.temperature is settable. Might have to give that a little try... :twisted:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

0235 wrote:
this is a bit random, but i had a Trumble, how do you know how many you have, except for the one floating around on the screen, but i only had them for a short time.
In that case you had only one. If you have more than one, they will all float around the screen.

If you feed your trumble well it will grow bigger, and eventually become two trumbles. And so forth. Your screen can get quite crammed eventually.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid wrote:
Yes, player.ship.temperature is settable. Might have to give that a little try... :twisted:
Have a look into FlyingDutchman.oxp.

Problem is that the cabin immediatly cools down again, read: the value decreases rapidly to normal. You have to set and reset it in a loop if you want it to stay high for a while.