game crash at station at purchase ship

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

mrflawed
Poor
Poor

game crash at station at purchase ship

Post by mrflawed »

hello. i recently switched back to version 1.65. (had issues with text disappearing in version 1.72) and now i have run into another problem.
when i dock at stations with a tech level higher than 11ish.
the station loads fine. i can access the equipment bay fine. and when i try and access the ships menu (f3 twice) the entire game shuts down. is this an issue with any particular oxp i have installed?
i dont know how to use the debug console. so i would need some walking through to help me.

thanks!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It probably is OXP-related, yes. Unfortunately, the debug console and various other debugging facilities did not exist in 1.65. Neither did numerous tests to find errors in OXPs and avoid crashing.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Could it happen if an OXP is installed that needs Oolite v > 1.65? Don't remember how sophisticated the version testing was back then. (And, perhaps even more important, if all OXPs actually support version testing.)
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

There was a relative bug in 1.65 with shipwards but the game did not crash. You just did not see the shipward screen by pressing the F3 button twice in high tech systems. If i remember correctly it has something to do with the cobranjx.oxp
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
Could it happen if an OXP is installed that needs Oolite v > 1.65? Don't remember how sophisticated the version testing was back then. (And, perhaps even more important, if all OXPs actually support version testing.)
Oolite 1.65 supports version requirements in requires.plist, but displays the wrong message when there’s an incompatibility.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

My question would be: What if an OXP that needs Oolite > 1.65 doesn't have a requires.plist? Could that lead to a crash?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
My question would be: What if an OXP that needs Oolite > 1.65 doesn't have a requires.plist? Could that lead to a crash?
I think it could be. e.g. I don't think 1.65 already understood shipdata in ascii format. Only script in ascii was supported. And it are on average the less good written oxp's that miss a requires.plist plist. I know that on a mac a wrong shipData mend the ship was not added at all but on a window machine oolite did try to add something and often it worked.
mrflawed
Poor
Poor

Post by mrflawed »

well i fixed this issue. i deleted the cobra nj add on.. ( at least i think it was the nj addon. either way i am smooth sailing.

thanks... now if i could just get a better computer so i can play the newest version =/