My engine makes other ships glow

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Ahruman wrote:
For some reason, Oolite is not finding the file Shaders/oolite-default-shader.fragment, or the file is damaged. The correct version of the file (for 1.72.2) can be found here.

A quick skim seems to indicate that the standard make-sure-all-copies-of-Oolite-are-uninstalled-then-reinstall approach hasn’t been suggested yet…
...and I just did it recently when I moved in onto my crash problem, until I noticed that Vistas behaviour with VirtualStore had to do with it. Kept copies of outdated oxp's plist files in a VirtualStore folder.

The good thing about that is, that I finally got oolite to be highly stable, even when playing for some hours non-stop!

The oolite-default-shader.fragment file had been in my installation to be found in the following path:
C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\Resources\Shaders

I replaced it though, in hope that the file was somehow messed up. The strange thing is, that this bug doesn't always appear, but from time to time.

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Screet wrote:
The good thing about that is, that I finally got oolite to be highly stable, even when playing for some hours non-stop!
If you say that you managed to somehow stop Vista from always putting the dynamic files into that folder and got more stable afterwards, I for one would be curious as to how exactly you did that!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Well, based on this, posted by Solas in another thread, just installing to a folder like C:\oolite instead of C:\Program Files\Oolite should be enough to avoid having Windows Vista virtualize any game created files. The folders that are virtualized in Vista for legacy applications are %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramData% and %SystemRoot%.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
Screet wrote:
If you say that you managed to somehow stop Vista from always putting the dynamic files into that folder and got more stable afterwards, I for one would be curious as to how exactly you did that!
Well, the first big problem was to notice that Vista created a VirtualStore AddOn folder. That was causing immense problems!

After I did clean up things, I removed all oxp's and then did add a few at a time, I've not all back in, but almost.

To stop Vista creating the VirtualStore-files...that's not so easy, I'm afraid. Vista internal editors just fail when editing in the real folder, while the Notepad++ which I use falls victim to Vistas VirtualStore without any notice. I found out that, if I move the file from VirtualStore back to it's proper location, any further editing attempts did not re-create a VirtualStore copy. Other people suggested to install to "C:\oolite" instead, which might be the more safe approach.

Finally, I installed a test release of oxpconfig, which keeps the RAM usage down. Oolite now typically runs with 500megs, goes up to around 900 and as soon as I jump falls back to 500 megs. If you ever did the Assassins mission with the Thargoids...I was fighting the Thargoids for two hours non-stop in that system, then jumped out of it without any crash!

With few OXPs and all those fixes, I only had one crash so far...and it was one I never had until now: The game just didn't respond anymore. No log info, no stderr info, just an inactive window. The CPU load did not increase, nor the RAM usage, almost as if the program encountered a state of infinite waiting for something without caring about any other messages in that time.

However, the sad point is, that I noticed the current WIP OSE test causes immense RAM usage and sometimes caused an "out of memory" crash within seconds after launching the game. I'm not sure what's causing this behaviour. I've made some other observations to that test release but haven't gathered them into a nice feedback file yet, as it was my priority in the past days to solve some of the non-OSE general problems I was experiencing.

Screet
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Screet wrote:
Finally, I installed a test release of oxpconfig, which keeps the RAM usage down. Oolite now typically runs with 500megs, goes up to around 900 and as soon as I jump falls back to 500 megs. If you ever did the Assassins mission with the Thargoids...I was fighting the Thargoids for two hours non-stop in that system, then jumped out of it without any crash!
For any user around who wants to test it I've uploaded a new (and rescripted) version of this tool. See: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=67293#67293

But read all docs carefully - we have to discuss these things too, specially the filter criteria.