Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Damage Indicator

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Myrmidon
Poor
Poor

Damage Indicator

Post by Myrmidon »

There should be a way to check my damaged systems in flight. I was just in a pretty good furball and took some hits. Afterwards I went hunting again and found some more pirates. I fired up the Witch Space Fuel Injectors to close range and they simply did not work. They dont show up on my inventory list either.

I have no problem with gear breaking in combat, but it would be nice if I could pull up a list of damaged equipment instead of having it fail when I need it.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Press F5 ;) Damaged kit is marked in orange rather than yellow, and has (n/a) appended onto it (not available).

And if you want to fix it in-flight, repair bots can be your friends.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Damage Indicator

Post by Eric Walch »

Myrmidon wrote:
There should be a way to check my damaged systems in flight. They dont show up on my inventory list either.
The damage is mentioned briefly but often overlooked in the heat of the fight. And you are playing strict mode. That resembles old elite the most. But better forget strict mode. Than equipment does not destroy, but gets damaged and stays visible in your list.
Myrmidon
Poor
Poor

Post by Myrmidon »

Not sure what mode I am in, but damaged equipment just seemed to not appear on my list. Maybe I missed something. Will check after my next big fight.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

For me, sometimes, what happens is my fuel scoops get damaged, but even a TL 15 system won't let me repair them...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

wackyman465 wrote:
For me, sometimes, what happens is my fuel scoops get damaged, but even a TL 15 system won't let me repair them...
Could it be that you are flying a ship which cannot use scoops and had a salvage gang to do the impossible custom work by slicing your ICs hull open and adding it in a non-conventional way so that no official technician understands how to repair it? ;)

IIRC the IC cannot use scoops?!?

If the damage comes from an oxp during scooping, this might be interesting: I had problems with the random generator. My scoops got destroyed everytime before I could fill the tiny cargo hold of a Merlin! I finally did end up disabling the scoop-damaging routine. The chance was properly low, but somehow it happened all the time to me.

Screet
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

In case of the Imperial Courier there is a small inconsistency between the legend and the truth. The backstory does indeed say that it can't fit scoops. The real thing, however, can. (And I think they are even a standard equipment; at least they were in v1.)

As far as Myrmidon's disappearing disabled equipment is concerned: Which version of Oolite are you on? Probably still 1.65? In that case I would suggest upgrading to the current test release 1.72.2. It's much superior to 1.65.