Music to view the galaxies by...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Music to view the galaxies by...

Post by Pangloss »

The Mac version of Oolite comes with iTunes support (and I believe there's an OXP out there that allows you to play your own soundtrack when you're flying around the eight galaxies).

As far as the iTunes support: it lets you select the music to a degree, because you make playlists for use when docked, or in flight, or in combat.

So I thought I'd start the conversation going. What music would you pick in those three categories? Here's my choice.

Docked: you can't beat the classic docking music in the game, but you CAN make it sound better by using the orchestra version of Johann Strauss II's best-known waltz, "An der schönen blauen Donau (On The Beautiful Blue Danube)" when you're heading for some Lave Fried Trumble at the Food Court (tastes like chicken).

If you've not seen the original part of the film "2001: A Space Odyssey" which has this music in it, click here and then click on the option to watch it in HD. And remember: this was made in 1969. Some of the computer control graphics were designed frames, made by hand, and put in sequence to make it look like computers in the year 2001 would be able to do that (they were, and so much more). And top marks for forecasting wide-screen TV on the backs of airline seats too!

In flight: This is the future, and so I tend to gravitate towards futuristic tunes. Dance remixes, industrial, techno, but nothing too driving. And I tend to find songs to do with space too. Here are a few I have on my playlist for normal flight.

Viperdrive - P.A.Groove (yes, OUR P.A.Groove. Check out his MySpace page) to hear the tune.

Pure Thrust (Nu NRG Remix) - Basic Dawn. I downloaded the extended version for free from TranceAddict, but if you want to listen to it quickly, click here for it on YouTube.

Outer Space Girl - The Beloved. I have the 9 minute Space Cadet mix, you can see the radio mix video here.

In combat: now we 'up' the tempo a little. Throw in some more guitar, so I know when things have started to heat up. But I still like to keep the remix element in there. Here are two of the tunes I have for combat situations...

Ace Of Spades (CCN Remix) - Motorhead. Hear it here. Once this comes on, you just KNOW the shiiiit's going down.

Torn Apart - Stabbing Westward versus Wink (click here to listen). From the film 'Spawn' soundtrack.

So: what do you have on your Oolite soundtrack?
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Docking: The Blue Danube that is already in the game's distribution. I really like this synth version, it has a certain futuristic and calming feeling to it.

In-station: Shopmusic, by Machinae Supremacy. I'd love to include this piece in our distribution, but unfortunately it already belongs to the soundtrack of Jets 'n' Guns, so we're out of luck. It's definitely in on my personal installation, though.

Combat: Supermoves, by Overseer. Hard-core electro adrenaline pump up. It's the music that plays during the war scene in the Animatrix's Second Rennaisance video.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

another_commander wrote:
Docking: The Blue Danube that is already in the game's distribution. I really like this synth version, it has a certain futuristic and calming feeling to it.

In-station: Shopmusic, by Machinae Supremacy. I'd love to include this piece in our distribution, but unfortunately it already belongs to the soundtrack of Jets 'n' Guns, so we're out of luck. It's definitely in on my personal installation, though.

Combat: Supermoves, by Overseer. Hard-core electro adrenaline pump up. It's the music that plays during the war scene in the Animatrix's Second Rennaisance video.
I've added Supermoves to my combat playlist. It reminds me of Dylan Rhymes "Naked & Ashamed", which you can hear here.

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Music to view the galaxies by...

Post by pagroove »

Viperdrive - P.A.Groove (yes, OUR P.A.Groove. Check out his MySpace page) to hear the tune.
Thank you Pangloss :),

---
I mostly listen to the ambient or progressive or other electronic channels of:

http://www.di.fm/
or to
www.friskyradio.com

I find some creepy slow and empty sounding ambient the perfect soundtrack for space.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

For me, its generally:

Monty Forester - Taste for space http://www.elite-games.ru/music/

Bluemars http://www.bluemars.org/
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Docking: Turn the damn radio off. I'm concentrating on fitting a large object through a small rotating door, thankyouverymuch. I manual dock always BTW, I don't trust my paint job to the quirks of an often-goes-wrong docking computer.

In flight: Any classic rock will do, whatever takes my fancy.

Combat: Hard and heavy and cranked to 11. Megadeth, Manowar, Saxon, Metallica, Motorhead, WASP, Twisted Sister, the tracks on a Quake 2 CD, you get the picture.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Benson, Arizona.
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Megadeth, Manowar, Saxon, Metallica, Motorhead, WASP, Twisted Sister.
God! That takes me back. :)

OK.

Docking: Bladerunner love theme soundtrack.

Flight: Shivers by Armin Van Buuren.

Combat: Bye bye beautiful by Nightwish.

G.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Docking: The old favourite, Strauss's Docking Waltz.

In-flight and combat tend to be Babylon 5 soundtracks. If I could pick songs to use, then combat would be the season three titles (or the Battle of the Line music as it's also known) and in-flight would be the music from Chrysalis.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Was it just me or when viewing the Space Odyssey clip, did anyone else subconsciously start trying to realign at 1:30-ish?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Was it just me or when viewing the Space Odyssey clip, did anyone else subconsciously start trying to realign at 1:30-ish?

Captain Hesperus
I did too! I was thinking "oh crap, we're going to crash into the station... DOCKING COMPUTER ON, DOCKING COMPUTER ON, I CAN HEAR THE MUSIC!!"

Just power down, rotate a bit, fly until you see the opening fully on your Port Side, and...

oh, it's just a film.

FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

What ever is on my ipod. And I turn it off to hear the docking computers music. I like to listen to "Assassins" By Muse when I'm on my way to an assination ever.

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I got out of the habit of using DCs after I launched from a station with 70 TC of narcotics on a trade contract. Not only that, but I don't like the music. But mostly I listen to my ipod or use itunes compatibility.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.