Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Where does the fun live in Santaari?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Myrmidon
Poor
Poor

Where does the fun live in Santaari?

Post by Myrmidon »

I just picked this game up last week (and was a HUGE fan back on my C64). It is so nice to not have to compete with siblings for the TV, or have to deal with cassette drives.

I have built up my Cobra pretty well, extra energy, military lasers etc. I need to know where to go to make the best use of it. Where do the quests, and other missions located?

Thanks
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I take it you're still witchspacing and trading around Galactic Chart 1?

Keep on at it. Eventually, you'll be called by a military officer who wants to hire you for a special bounty hunting contract, then you're truely off for high space adventure.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Welcome back. Basically all over, but generaly the easy missions are set in G1 and the harder ones in higher Galaxies. Some missions are available in all Galaxies. Many missions will need you to have over a certain number of kills to trigger. Check the Wiki Page here:-

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Missions

For OXP missions you will need to have the relevant OXP installed. Follow the link for a download.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Where does the fun live in Santaari?

Post by Screet »

Hello and welcome to the board!
Myrmidon wrote:
I just picked this game up last week (and was a HUGE fan back on my C64). It is so nice to not have to compete with siblings for the TV, or have to deal with cassette drives.
I remember. My parents always tried to make me stop playing elite by taking a cable away ;)
Myrmidon wrote:
Where do the quests, and other missions located?
Take a look at the wiki: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Missions

There you get a pretty good overview concerning both built-in missions and oxp (AddOn) missions, as well as what triggers them.

You probably need to plan when to install/do which mission, as some missions will force you to use your galactic hyperdrive.

Please be aware that some missions require the current test release and that some missions will not work with the current test release as they have not been updated yet.

Be advised not to take too many missions at once, as sometimes you won't be able to fullfill all in time, especially if one mission leads you northwest and the other southeast of the galaxy...

Screet
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Aye, welcome to the boards! I never played Elite, having not been alive then, but just happened upon Oolite - luckiest thing ever!

Edit: Any relation to MyrmidonRPG?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Welcome to the boards!

One of the most fun OXP's (out of the many excellent OXP's) is Random Hits. It let's you fulfill to role of a hired assassin. Fun missions and always random. Featuring hilarious mission descriptions, great ships and models. And what happened today: I had killed the hit and a few jumps later I met the family of the hit!. They are history too 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Random hits is pretty fun. Once it gave me a mission in that unreachable corner of G7; only some lucky savegame editing got me my RH mission slot back... I mean, some lucky misjumps. :wink:
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

wackyman465 wrote:
Random hits is pretty fun. Once it gave me a mission in that unreachable corner of G7; only some lucky savegame editing got me my RH mission slot back... I mean, some lucky misjumps. :wink:
You could have used the galactic hyperdrive...then the contract's just cancelled, as I understand, without negative consequences.

In a previous release I was able to take any contract...every new one would replace the old one, it seemed. However, I found out accidentally...I read the board, and all those contracts have been very close to each other...I was happy until I noticed that one can only do one of these at a time. The best thing about RH are the mission descriptions...if I need a laugh, I fly to the next space bar!

The navy missions with Thargoid fleet action are fun, although the navy is so strong that it's not very difficult. When the Thargoids used cascade weaponry (which they still do, but more carefully), they typically destroyed both fleets...thus at that time I used injectors and a cascade missile myself. Guess that's what those weapons were built for :twisted:

The only time I had better fireworks so far was with the "Fair Wind" mission from Assassins...when I got frustrated about a fugitive status.

Screet
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

But i didn't want to leave g7...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Why not? Afraid of the black hole in g8? :wink:
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Black hole in G8? Where?
Naw, I was really doing some assassins missions.