Error messages in Terminal?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

greenco
Above Average
Above Average

Error messages in Terminal?

Post by greenco »

I just installed Ver 1.72.2 and when I start Oolite I get the following data in a Terminal window. I am running Ububtu 8.04 as my operating system. Does anyone know what all of this means. Other than getting this message, the game seems to work OK.

Configuration contains unknown keys - (GNUSTEP_LOCAL_LIBRARIES, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_DOC_INFO, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_LIBRARY, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_LIBRARIES, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_APPS, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_LIBRARY, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_WEB_APPS, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_LIBRARY, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ADMIN_APPS, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_APPS, GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_TOOLS, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_DOC, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_DOC, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_DOC_INFO, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ADMIN_APPS, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_USERS_DIR, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_TOOLS, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_LIBRARIES, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_DOC_INFO, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ADMIN_TOOLS, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_DOC, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_ADMIN_TOOLS, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_DOC_MAN, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ADMIN_TOOLS, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_APPS, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_WEB_APPS, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_HEADERS, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_WEB_APPS, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_DOC_MAN, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_APPS, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_DOC_MAN, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_WEB_APPS, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_DOC_MAN, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_USERS_DIR, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ADMIN_TOOLS, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_HEADERS, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_DOC, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_TOOLS, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_LIBRARY, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_HEADERS, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_DOC_INFO, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_HEADERS, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES, GNUSTEP_NETWORK_TOOLS, GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_USERS_DIR, GNUSTEP_USER_DIR_ADMIN_APPS, GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ADMIN_APPS)
2009-01-19 17:30:36.121 oolite[17787] File NSUserDefaults.m: 561. In [NSUserDefaults +standardUserDefaults] Improper installation: No language locale found

What do I need to do to correct this?
Thanks
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

If it runs, nothing.

The oolite autopackages come with a cut-down gnustep install which is as pared to the bone as possible and still runs. There are official Ubuntu packages but these follow the stable release.
greenco
Above Average
Above Average

Post by greenco »

Winston, I have another problem and don't know if it is related to GNUstep or not. When I am flying, under normal conditions, everything is great, however when I get engaged in combat, the whole world starts spinning. The only way I can stop the spinning is to exit the game. I have reinstalled version 1.65 and will use it until I find out what is causing the spins.
Thanks
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

How can you find out what is causing the spins if you have 1.65 installed? I mean, you need to be able to reproduce the problem to know when it gets fixed, right?
greenco
Above Average
Above Average

Post by greenco »

another_commander, I don't have a problem with reproducing the problem, it happens anytime I get into combat, with version 1.72.2. I am hoping someone else may have had the same problem and managed to fix it. I have looked at installing GNUstep in Ubuntu, but it is way above my level. I don't want to mess up my system and have to reinstall Ubuntu. I will fly with version 1.65 and keep looking for a fix.
Thanks
greenco
Above Average
Above Average

Post by greenco »

I read a lot of posts and found one that talked about spinning. The author said that his was caused by assigning a button, on the controller, to control the Roll/Pitch Precision Toggle. I installed version 1.72.2 again and tried a combat mission without toggling on the Roll/Pitch Precision Toggle. The world DID NOT spin this time. Now I need to find a key that toggles this feature because without it combat is a bad deal.

When I did this install, I did not uninstall version 1.65 first. I installed over it and now I have a different error in the Terminal window.

.:3: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
<plist version="1.0">

Does anyone know what this means or how to get rid of it.

Thanks
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

@greenco:
This is how to clean-up the mess a bit.
First uninstall 1.65, removing (i.e. Mark for Complete Removal)
"oolite" and "oolite-data" in Synaptic Package Manager.
Then, uninstall 1.72.2 through Desktop/Applications/System Tools/Manage 3rd Party Software.
Then install 1.72.2 again.

Note: A new package for 1.72.2 is soon to be released. If 1.72.2 currently works for you,
wait for the new package and then go through the clean-up process.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
greenco
Above Average
Above Average

Post by greenco »

Getafix, I will keep an eye out for the next release. The current version works ok, until I turn on the "Roll/Pitch Precision Toggle". I wish that there was an option to turn off (disable) the "YAW" axis.
Thanks for your help.