Ionics OXP

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Ionics OXP

Post by MKG »

Hi all

This is going to be difficult to avoid spoilers - but here goes.

I've tried for three days now with the second part of the Ionics missions. I have a Super Cobra with mil. lasers fore and aft, an energy bomb, four hardened missiles, shields and shield enhancements coming out of my ears - everything I can find. I've tried everything I can think of several times - but I'm still getting blown to smithereens.

Basic question, then - am I missing out on something, apart from skill?

Mike (slowly beginning to pull out my remaining hair)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Refresh our memory: what exactly do you have to do/destroy in the second part...
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

Hi Rxke

I've done the "deliver package to ..." bit. Now it's "go to XXXXX, meet up with the fleet and destroy the whacking great Ionics carrier" bit. But that carrier seems to be all but invincible.

Mike
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Been a while, but as I remember it the Weapons Platforms have a really short range. But your Military Laser has a range of 25km. Park up 15kms or so and give it a full blast from your front Laser. It'll overheat before the target is destroyed, so flip over and give it a blast with your rear untill it overheats. Rinse and reapeat swaping from Front Guns to Rear Guns as they overheat. The lasers are on separate cooling circuits so as one is fired the other is cooling. This way you can blast it with almost constant Mil Laser. You need to keep the fire sustained though as its shields will recharge if you leave it alone for a while.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

Thanks, LittleBear

Sounds very feasible. That'll teach me to go in gung-ho with everything blazing.

Right - back to the fray ...

Mike
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

MKG wrote:
Thanks, LittleBear

Sounds very feasible. That'll teach me to go in gung-ho with everything blazing.

Right - back to the fray ...

Mike
Or a combination of Q-bomb and Witch Fuel Injectors. Zip in, drop bomb, zip out, switch to rear view and watch the pretty blue circles.... :twisted:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Isn't there some ship, somewhere, where you fly at it at full speed then eject seconds before impact?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

LB's technique worked for me too :wink: