Calling all Graphic Designers!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Wait a second. What needs skinning? I can't write OXPs or make models, but I can make skins if you want. (sry if this has been asked before, but I haven't really been paying attention to this thread)
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@wacky - just go to the very first page first post and see all the race teams - those with names above them have been skinned, the rest have not, go look at the wiki (if its up) and look at the race teams - then find some suitable sponsors (usually from YAH) and slap them on your newly skinned ships...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

I'm going to go off on a few weird tangents. It all ties in with design, honest.

At the moment, we're getting the artwork to look outstanding. Griff's shading on the Outposts, coupled with the model complexity, blows away the former boxy Con Stores. I'm pleased my little designs are going down so well, so I'm going to keep contributing.

But it's bump-mapping that is getting me all happy, because it will turn the game into something that looked like Quake 2 into something that looks like Quake 4.

And here comes the old man rambling part.

I've always been a fan of sci-fi, and books in the 70s and early 80s had a very specific look for the future. Geometric icons, artwork by Ralph McQuarrie (he would also work on the original Star Wars). Stuff like this.

In the late 80s and to the 90s, I was influenced by the designs of DR (Designers Republic). They did album work for Pop Will Eat Itself, and later worked on the PlayStation game WipEout.

If you remember what the game originally looked like on the PlayStation in the 1990s, and compare it to what newer versions of the game look like...

...the ComOonity has followed a similar evolution in art complexity.

Together, we're taking a good game and creating something incredible. So all get stuck in. I'll start designing a team or two after I get the lights off this fecking tree!

Shawn, a.k.a Pangloss.
Last edited by Pangloss on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

OK, I'm in for Ichihara S-Pulse.

There's a city in Japan called Ichihara. Spelled 市原市 ...but that is Ichihara-shi (meaning Ichihara City), so I removed the last shi-chi Hiragana symbol to get 市原.

Writing S-Pulse in Katakana can be done, but I like the combination of Hiragana and Romaji (Western letters).

More to come... including, possibly, a t-shirt store at Cafepress of my logos. But for now, for RIGHT now, #33 is in the paint-shop.

Last edited by Pangloss on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Krait and Mamba to follow...
Last edited by Pangloss on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

It's really great to have you back Pangloss - we've missed you!
Selezen wrote:
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
It's really great to have you back Pangloss - we've missed you!
Ditto.

P.S. Edited list, 13 teams still wanting for skins!!

Captain Hesperus
Last edited by Captain Hesperus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The truth, revealed!!
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Awwww, you guys!!!

I just thought... the stripes won't join if I put them going around. I have the image in layers, so I can either rotate the stripes to go down the ship, or chop off the sides of them.

Coming soon... Image adjusted. Refresh your page to reload the image.

As I work on the Krait and the Mamba, some details about Ichihara.

Many companies manufacture parts for the RemLok (There For You™) emergency space suit. Ichihara Corporation is the sole manufacturer of the Scream Pulse unit. The S-Pulse unit is described in the award-winning Holomovie "The Dark Wheel" (segment of V.O from the holomovie © Ooniversal Studios, error corrected in The Director's Cut) as follows...
In space, everyone can hear you scream . . .

As long, that is, as you're equipped with a RemLok survival mask.

An instant after Alex Ryder hit the hard vacuum, a skin of plasFibre had been shot across his body from nozzles on the face piece, keeping him warm against the cold, tightening and protecting him, securing him against the void. The oxygen flow in his body was cut off to all but his heart and brain. Needle-doses of adrenalin and somnokie were held ready, just within the skin area of his mouth, ready to alert or depress his body functions according to circumstances.

And the RemLok screamed through space for help.

It was a standard survival device, an instantly recognisable distress call indicating that it was being sent out from a small, remotely located, dying body. The alarm screeched out on forty channels, shifting wavelength within each channel four times a second. One hundred and twenty sixty chances to catch attention...
The S-Pulse uses a small power unit to generate a series of microscopic wormholes, large enough for the radio waves to traverse, in order to send a distress signal. These wormholes are directed using the same technology that goes into detecting Witchpoint / Navigation / Constore beacons for a Nav display. The wormhole is generated, and a data pulse is transmitted in a fraction of a second that identifies the sentient in need of assistance, their x/y/z location in the system, and their current biometric status.

Messages from ships to the planet, its ring of Coriolis stations, and system Constores are abruptly broken as the split second message comes screaming through. HoloTV programmes are interrupted, the projection dissolving into a permanently recorded display of the space-grid location of the RemLok. Every advertising space module changes its garish display to flash, in brilliance, the same information.

Recent negotiations with the former sole owners of the S-Pulse trademark have been completed, and S-Pulse (in relation to the RemLok connotation) is now a separate trademark, not to be confused with the Shimizu S-Pulse (清水エスパルス) Sport Company that have no ties to the Ring Racing League. As part of the agreement, Shimizu S-Pulse retain their distinctive and historic yellow-black scheme and Ichihara S-Pulse agrees to use red-white.

Historic image of Shimizu S-Pulse sport player in action (right). Date and location of 2D rendering unknown.

Racing Team S-Pulse is proud to be a member of the RemLok family, and is proud to have RemLok as the sole sponsor of their race team. Ichihara S-Pulse: In space, everyone can hear you scream.
Last edited by Pangloss on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

The Krait has just finished drying. Hope the rookie pilots we have for this new team don't frig up the paintwork.

Last edited by Pangloss on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

The Ichihara Mamba has finished its overhaul, and the Sidewinder has been taken in for another respray.

It's felt that the newer, vibrant paint jobs on the other ships make the Sidewinder look... well, drab.

Stay tuned... 8)
Last edited by Pangloss on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Old Sidewinder...

New and improved Sidewinder.

Last edited by Pangloss on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

in the spirit of Pangloss's passionate call to arms post above, he's shown us his, now i'll show you mine
when i was looking for other peoples ideas to copy inspiration for the coriolis station above i found this book cover image using google search,
cor, i really wish i'd made the station look more like that, the lovely orange glow against the blue instead of the grey thing i made
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Pangloss - fabulous work - and that team description should definitely go on the wiki (when its up properly) - don't you agree Cap'n H?

Why did you stay away so long!!!

@Griff - ah, the great AC Clarke - Childhood's End, Sentinel (the premise for 2001), Rendevous with Rama and the 10 Billion Names of God - a true master of SF - between him, Asimov and Doc Smith I had the most fabulous childhood (I started reading the Lensman and D'Alembert series when I was 9, and I read the Foundation series before I went to "big" school - I miss having the time to read!)
Selezen wrote:
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Foundation = nearly as good as Ender's Game.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hi Wacky - I 'fess that I'm not a great fan of O S Card - to each there own - however, from memory you're just a young 'un so to have read both these series and to have given your preference - I say well done!
Selezen wrote: