Noob wanting shiner graphics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Tekkani
Poor
Poor

Noob wanting shiner graphics

Post by Tekkani »

Hi all,

I've just started to play Oolite and it's great. Just like the good ol' days. I saw some amazing screenshots in one thread and wondered what I had to do to get stations and things that looked like those.

My version of Oolite is the 1.72.1 version on Mac OSX 10.5.5

I can't read the Wiki as it seems to be broken.

Thanks in advance,

Crispin
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Check in the "Suggestion Box" topic thread.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Noob wanting shiner graphics

Post by Thargoid »

Tekkani wrote:
I've just started to play Oolite and it's great. Just like the good ol' days. I saw some amazing screenshots in one thread and wondered what I had to do to get stations and things that looked like those.
Firstly some belated greetings, saluations, welcome and hiya. Where's your manners gone Cap?

First step in getting "improved" graphics is to check whether your system can support shaders, and if so that they are turned on (by default they aren't). When you're docked, press F2 and then go into the game options selection and if you can set shaders on to full. Alternatively you can do it whilst in-flight by pressing P to pause the game, and then F2 etc as above.

Next you'll need to add a few OXPs to the game to get some of the improved/upgraded/new ships and shiny graphics. Those are normally obtained via the wiki, which as you say is currently down (give it a few days). Some threads here have direct links to downloads so you can get some of them anyway now.

Wander around the Expansion Packs section and see what takes your fancy. The OXPs should all have readme files in them, which should explain how to install them (it's not difficult, just decompress them and move the contained folder ending in .oxp to the addons directory within your game set-up). If there's a direct download link it'll be in the OXP's thread, where you see the graphics that caught your eye. Alternatively PM the author if you want more info.

Editted to add - I should probably say that most of the fancy looking stuff (such as Griff's masterpieces) usually require shaders to have their full eye-candy feast.

Last edited by Thargoid on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Aye, belated greetings to you! Welcome to the only boards worth posting on! The question you have to ask when you want fancy graphics is how much can your computer support?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Tekkani
Poor
Poor

Post by Tekkani »

It's a 2.4GHz iMac. I don't see it having any problems. I'll get the packs when the Wiki wakes up and go for it.

Thanks for the help and welcomes!

Crispin
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

With that you should pretty much be able to run any OXP you want, then.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Tekkani
Poor
Poor

Post by Tekkani »

OK. I thought I'd just add a quick question - I know it is basic...

I have just bought a fuel scoop, and I've used it to pick up some stuff from a ship I destroyed, but how do I use it to get FUEL? I'd look this up on the Wiki, of course, but it's down.

Thanks

Crispin
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

As standard you scoop fuel from the sun, just take extreme care as they're known to be rather hot ;)

Or for the OXP side of things, you could grab a copy of Frame's fuel collector OXP to slowly do it in normal flight or from wrecks.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Oh and before we forget. Welcome to...

The friendliest board this side of Riedquat.
Tekkani
Poor
Poor

Post by Tekkani »

Thanks - sun. Worked a treat! :)
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Tekkani wrote:
It's a 2.4GHz iMac. I don't see it having any problems. I'll get the packs when the Wiki wakes up and go for it.

Thanks for the help and welcomes!

Crispin
I'm on a 2GHz iMac Intel running 10.4.11, so you're in for a treat. System_Redux is one OXP to put on your initial list of downloads.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Noob wanting shiner graphics

Post by CptnEcho »

Thargoid wrote:
... Where's your manners gone Cap?
Hmm... must've been temporarily out of service due to fatigue. Tone of message wasn't intended to be hostile, just intended to point suggestions to the 'correct' forum location for discussion of said suggestions.

Welcome to Oolite, Tekkani. No worries.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Tekkani
Poor
Poor

Post by Tekkani »

Is there any way to get some OXPs without the Wiki working? *impatient* :)

Thanks.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

You can get Random Hits 1.3.275 here http://www.box.net/shared/k7tcre7dt4. It requires Oolite V1.72.1. Head to your nearest anarchy system to find a space bar. (B on your Advanced Space Compass will locate it). Missions can be accepted when docked at the bar. A trawl of the expansion packs thread will find direct links to quite a few OXPs. Normally you can get them all on the Wikki OXP page.
Last edited by LittleBear on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Some OXP authors (like Thargoid, above) have links to their own OXPs in their signatures. Some of these are hosted on the wiki but others are direct links to files on sites like box.net or on their own web pages.