Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

RFC: Fancy classics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Simon B wrote:
I'm thinking that the bulk of the ship is the main body, with the smaller craft/detachable command section as a subentity... but also as an ship in it's own right. I can specify it as an escape pod so an NPC can eject in it ... though I'd need to script leaving a partial-ship model behind - doable?
You can specify an escape pod with the escape_pod_model attribute (which takes a role, not a model file name), and you can remove a subentity using something like this in the escape pod’s ship script:

Code: Select all

if (self.owner && self.owner.subEntities[0] && self.owner.subEntities[0].primaryRole == "neoboa_skiff") // 0 == first item in list
{
    self.owner.subEntities[0].remove();
}
Note: if a ship’s has_escape_pod property is set to a number greater than one, the first (crew) pod will use the escape_pod_model, and the other (passenger) pods will always use escape-capsule.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@Simon B - given that not everybody has shader capable gpus then perhaps it would be worth getting an oxp out with the new shaped ships and "standard" textures and then spend a little more time playing with the special features of glows and other fancy shader stuff.
As I mentioned earlier, this is the wrong mindset. It is much easier to think in terms of effect maps from the start, and composite a single-map version in Photoshop or the GIMP, than to turn a single texture map into effect maps.

Also, I intend to support glow maps without shaders at some point in the future.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

While I'm here ... if I don't worry (much) about polygon limits, this sort of thing can happen:

[BEFORE]

[AFTER]
... which was the original concept for (my) Cobra Mk4 ...

1260 triangles - phew! But if you google about you'll see that's still considered "low poly".

IIRC I get up to six entities with 512 faces each. So, I'll need to cut that model into three and watch the vertex count.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Nice, I'v wanted to make a cobra mk 4, but I could never learn how to make models. So sad :cry:.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Yup. I've wondered whether there's a way to convert sketchup files to an oolite-supported model?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The "before" model is available from my oolite page... along with a previous "lets replace the entire shipset" attempt.

I havn't replaced the thargoids, moray, mission ships, stations or asteroids.
The "after" model is trickier - to work best, it needs the smooth property - but that can put a crease at the cut-lines (because it's smoothed the corner). I have to fiddle the cuts so the crease is incedental - as with the arachnid.

BTW: the arachnid also started life with a lot more polygons.

Progress: blank skins have been completed. I'm putting special effect areas on one texture. It strikes me that I should have put thu skiff on the same texture as the body of the neoboa - so the scales will be the same. I'll have to see what happens when I paint it.

The python and anaconda skins are next.
Now I know what you are thinking - why don't I just make an oxp with the existing python and anaconda skins - then you can get stuck in? Well... I'd like to do it right. However, I too want to see these ships fly so I'll put out a "preview" oxp before the end of the week.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Simon B wrote:
IIRC I get up to six entities with 512 faces each. So, I'll need to cut that model into three and watch the vertex count.
As also mentioned earlier, there will be no vertex or face limit in 1.73, and using a single entity is more efficient than splitting it up.

Otherwise, the limits are 320 vertices and 512 faces up until 1.69, then 500 vertices and 800 faces. Each model may use up to 7 materials. I don’t know of a limit to subentity count.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

wackyman465 wrote:
Yup. I've wondered whether there's a way to convert sketchup files to an oolite-supported model?
According to this, you can import KMZ files (which SketchUp can export) into Blender, which can then export OBJ, which can be converted with the Oolite mesh converter scripts.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
wackyman465 wrote:
According to this, you can import KMZ files (which SketchUp can export) into Blender, which can then export OBJ, which can be converted with the Oolite mesh converter scripts.
The potential for conversion-cock-up is legion... :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Simon-B. Could you also add the ships to the Wiki page of Oolite ships? (if ready?)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Simon,

the issue with the missing ship parts (textures, sweta witch engine or somesuch etc.) is still the case on my system.

Just asking if you are going to do something about it, as I quite like your ships :oops:

Cheers

L
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The images in post #1 have been updated to the final versions - and I've deleted the pics of the prototypes, which means some images in previous posts are broken.

Now the skins are done, the oxp ain't far behind.
Here's a comparison shot:

@Ahruman - re: poly limits.... now he tells me! All the models are under 800 polys. The neoboa main body was about 600 so I cut it and didn't need to!

But that's good news for those fancy designs - I can easily disguise the cut at the nacelle intersection ... giving three entities. Errr... I suppose I'd better finish the current project first...
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

This shows scale in a great way - I still like the python the best.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The Python was always the best ship of the three anyway.

The preview OXP is ready :neolite.oxp.tar.gz 1.6MiB - flat textures only, no special effects. However, there is a sources directory in there, containing the wavefront files.

Caveat: in keeping with previous announcements - the neo-ships replace the present ships, with slight improvements to stats (usually about x1.5, and concentrating on the feel of flying the ship rather than the usual speed and power.)

The standard ships are still there, with reduced chance of appearing, and a higher price, labelled "Classic" and represent an enthusiasts restoration job. Suggest this OXP be added alongside Second Hand Ships.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Simon B wrote:
@Ahruman - re: poly limits.... now he tells me!
Oi! I told you last week. :-)