Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Someone with a Mac interested in helping with an OXP?

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Someone with a Mac interested in helping with an OXP?

Post by Lestradae »

Hi to all Mac users,

I am working on the successor to my Realistic Shipyards oxp - Oolite Shipyards Extension - and I need someone who likes the oxp and would like to beta-test the betas of the upcoming version (details about that in the Expansions Forum in the OSE dev. thread).

I also need someone who can help translating legacy script into OpenStep and error-check the result via a Mac. Ahruman suggested, I cite, to "... find a collaborator with a Mac, get them to install the developer tools (included on OS X installer DVDs) and use Property List Editor or plutil to convert the files. These tools will also point out syntax errors in the files"

Something like that would be very helpful, so if anybody is interested ... :D

Cheers,

L
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

i would happily beta test. one caveat: i am currently moving, thus for the next 2-4-ish weeks, i'll be insanely busy.

i already have the dev tools installed, and would be willing to learn how to use the plist editor, especially as i someday would like to output my own oxp... starting with the dyson sphere-if i can ever get it working, and depending on wether it would blast everything out of existance or not. ^^

working on another oxp will help me learn the ins and outs more rapidly, or so i hope. ^^

so you have one volunteer... beta testing is definite yes, oxp'ing is a willing to try! =D

edit: oh, and if you find someone else, they might be faster than i am. ^^ i'm pretty slow sometimes.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi nijineko,

then welcome aboard! :D
one caveat: i am currently moving, thus for the next 2-4-ish weeks, i'll be insanely busy.
No problem, I am also taking it slow. Oolite Shipyards Extension will probably be done in summer 2009. The very first beta to test will perhaps be ready in 2-3 weeks.
i already have the dev tools installed, and would be willing to learn how to use the plist editor, especially as i someday would like to output my own oxp... starting with the dyson sphere-if i can ever get it working, and depending on wether it would blast everything out of existance or not. ^^
Very cool, that. If you could do the "translate into OpenStep automatically" thing Ahruman suggested and also use the "find errors automatically" feature, that would be extremely useful. Ahruman`s tip seems only to be possible with a Mac.

I have one Mac beta-tester already, but four eyes see more than two and the dev tools thing is extremely useful. And OSE V1.0 will be much more of a team effort than RS was ...

If the Dyson Sphere could really be made to work, I might have a singular use for it. There will be a single Tech Level 16 system in the OSE Ooniverse ... what better place for a Dyson Sphere. But it would have to get blasted at a certain point in the story :(
working on another oxp will help me learn the ins and outs more rapidly, or so i hope. ^^ so you have one volunteer... beta testing is definite yes, oxp'ing is a willing to try!
I say it again: Welcome onboard and to the small team that is starting to assemble :)

Cheers 8)

L
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: ...

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
Very cool, that. If you could do the "translate into OpenStep automatically" thing Ahruman suggested and also use the "find errors automatically" feature, that would be extremely useful. Ahruman`s tip seems only to be possible with a Mac.
RS is to large for me. With my ISDN connection I consider everything larger than 5MB to large to download.

But on the Mac tools to use: The plist editor allows you to save in any format. Only drawback with it that it will only open files with the correct syntax.
To get the syntax right you must read the file in with the "Project Builder". It's mend for C-code but has an option to check syntax of a file (or part it) as if it was a plist file. With this you get errors info back.
Once all errors are solved you can read it in, in the plist editor and save it in open step format.
Both files are on the Mac installation disk but not installed by default.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
To get the syntax right you must read the file in with the "Project Builder". … Both files are on the Mac installation disk but not installed by default.
Note, however, that Project Builder has been called Xcode since OS X 10.3. :-)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
Note, however, that Project Builder has been called Xcode since OS X 10.3. :-)
Am I using such old stuff? My original install was Jaguar. Later updaters probably skipped this file.
EDIT: Installed X-Code from the Tiger DVD. I see plist syntax error checking of a text selection is removed.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Eric,

thanks for the tip.

If there only was a legacy script -> OpenStep translator to translate forwards & backwards for Windows ... :(

That would be extremely practical. I wonder why (and if indeed) none exists.

The plists of RS (and also the successor beta slowly taking form) should be error-free, as I check them with the WC3MarkUp Validation Service. But, that one doesn`t work for OpenStep.

Anyways, "Oolite Shipyards Expansion" is going to be in OpenStep when ready. Just sad that the translation has to be done indirectly by someone who helps me. Thanks in advance, nijineko! :wink:

Cheers

L
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

hi.
I'll gladly test RS if you like?
I've been loving it so far!
I have noticed a couple of NPC ships where the 'jet flume' has appeared too large for the ship, and one where it started in front of the ship (!?)
it may well not be to do with RS, but is that the sort of thing you want people to look for? with pics?

I witnessed this the other day.
the idiot didn't survive the attempt!

I'm running a minimac 1.66ghz duo, 512MB 667MHz.
not a large computer, but it seems to cope fine with RS and a fair few other oxps.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I have a Mac, can beta test, and do the converting whatchamacallit. Just tell me what I should do..
*shuffles off in confused, non-knowing embarassment*
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

You have PN :D
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I would assume you mean PM? You misspelled it in the PM, too.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.