whichspace jumps

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

steviel
Poor
Poor

whichspace jumps

Post by steviel »

is it possible to increase the distance of the jump? i remember in elite you could add a fix that could cover 50 light years in one jump instead of 7
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I don't think so, no... AFAIK the 7-light-year limit is hard-coded.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Nope, it's (deliberately) hard-coded into the game that 7 LY is the max for a jump.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

A 50 LY jump would take to much time. Witch-jumping does strange things with time that even Einstein didn't know of. A X LY jump takes X^2 hours time. A 7 LY jump takes 49 hours (about 2 days). But a 50 LY jump would take 104 days. With such big jumps you would miss every appointment in space.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Plus it would just miss the point of the game.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Apparently it is quicker to make multiple short jumps as opposed to one long one as the time is proportional to the distance (something like x2 or x4, I can never remember). This can be shortened by buying things like Fuel Scoops to negate the need to visit stations for refueling and Witchfuel Injectors for those times you have blips on the scanner preventing your Torus Drives.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

As previously stated, the time for a witchspace jump is distance * distance = time in hrs.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Apparently it is quicker to make multiple short jumps as opposed to one long one as the time is proportional to the distance (something like x2 or x4, I can never remember). This can be shortened by buying things like Fuel Scoops to negate the need to visit stations for refueling and Witchfuel Injectors for those times you have blips on the scanner preventing your Torus Drives.

Captain Hesperus
Yeah, I always wondered about that. I had a consignment to take 20 l.y to another system, and I could do it in 3 jumps and j-u-u-s-t make it in time. Or hop for 2 or 3 hours at a time by taking local star routes and I had two days left to complete my assignment.

And weren't the areas around suns meant to be crawling with pirates? Because I almost always get a straight J-jump to the star's mass to refuel.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

which space are we talking about here? :lol:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Pangloss wrote:
And weren't the areas around suns meant to be crawling with pirates? Because I almost always get a straight J-jump to the star's mass to refuel.
You could always try the Deep Space Pirates OXP...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Pangloss wrote:
One solution is to add deep space pirates oxp.

Someone also wrote an oxp which adds additional trade routes (w-sun and w-n), which could also help with your experience. I didn't give that one a try yet.

Screet
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: whichspace jumps

Post by DaddyHoggy »

steviel wrote:
is it possible to increase the distance of the jump? i remember in elite you could add a fix that could cover 50 light years in one jump instead of 7
A 50ly jump isn't a "fix" it's a "break" - it would break the game utterly. 7ly is just perfect - B&B knew what they were doing.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here