Still invisible ships with shaders

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Still invisible ships with shaders

Post by Screet »

Hi,

Ahruman wrote that the shader problem should be gone by now...and it's really better than in the previous release, however, I still had another encounter with an invisible ship due to shader usage, this time it was a thargoid terrorizer.

Ahruman asked to post a screenshot, which proves difficult, as there is nothing at all to be seen. If the problem comes up for a ship, there is only the exhaust visible, and with thargoids, there is no exhaust at all.

Test version is 1.72.1 with full shaders run on Vista32...

Screet, happy about the texture bug solution but still experiencing boxed-nebulae
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Screet,

could it be that it was an actually cloaked thargoid ship from the SecondWave 1.1.oxp?

Cheers

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The cloaked ship from Second Wave should still be intermittently visible (cloaked ships are drawn around 1 in 10 frames iirc), and it's a Thargoid Warship, not a Terroriser Frigate.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
The cloaked ship from Second Wave should still be intermittently visible (cloaked ships are drawn around 1 in 10 frames iirc), and it's a Thargoid Warship, not a Terroriser Frigate.
Yes, and when fired upon, this terrorizer was surrounded by the red of the laser, but the ship itself kept black, it was looking similar to a font that only uses an outline but doesn't show the characters displayed itself.

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

I think I know what's causing this problem! Sometimes, the ships I encounter do not have a texture, especially after playing a long time without crash.

Continuing my flight, I also had an invisible warship and thargons. After quite some time I managed to move into a position where a very dark grey side of the warship became visible - without any textures on it.

Thus I guess that the missing texture problem, which causes ships to be almost white without shaders, causes them to be black with shaders...

Screet
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

if this is a missing texture problem.

your logs should indicate it... latest.log found in

oolite.app/logs/
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Still invisible ships with shaders

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
Ahruman asked to post a screenshot, which proves difficult, as there is nothing at all to be seen. If the problem comes up for a ship, there is only the exhaust visible, and with thargoids, there is no exhaust at all.
Try: pause, press B, unpause. All ships should have a box around it now.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
Screet wrote:
Try: pause, press B, unpause. All ships should have a box around it now.
Hmmm. Guess I did hit the wrong key: got the message that collision debug has been switched on, there were no boxes, but the system became extremely slow, although the cpu load did stay low. Had to restart, which wasn't a big loss. I tried switching that thing off again by pressing the same key, but that was no help. Guess I should copy certain information from the wiki when it's accessible again...

Screet
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Screet wrote:
Hmmm. Guess I did hit the wrong key: got the message that collision debug has been switched on, there were no boxes, but the system became extremely slow, although the cpu load did stay low.
Try 'x' while paused to enable the bounding box mode. To disable the debug things 'n' while paused.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Svengali wrote:
]Try 'x' while paused to enable the bounding box mode. To disable the debug things 'n' while paused.
Thanks! I'll try with the next encounter. I did not find anything in the log about failing to load textures, even though I had another encounter with an invisible Mamba in between.

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Hmmm. Just some new shader problem:

I encountered a Hydra and a Condor. Both ships were visible as to be expected, however the laser-pods of the Hydra and the blue rings around the condor were completely black.

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Maybe this can help to track the problem. I now had two different encounters as to those mentioned above:

A Hydra2 during flight, where the pods had normal lighting conditions, but the ship itself was black.

When I was docked and did look at the ships, there was a completely black Anaconda and two Zorg edition Anaconda, where the mounted Sidewinder did display properly while the Anaconda part of it was completely black, too.

The log did, as usual with this problem, not reveal ANYTHING. The game was also not running low on memory.

Screet