cascading

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

cascading

Post by Commander McLane »

What are the things that are supposed to cascade?

It seems to me that in 1.72.1 ordinary asteroids cascade as well, if in the vicinity of a blue-sphere-of-death. Probably even floating alloys. That can't be right!

Can somebody countercheck this?
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Yup, asteroids cascade to. they should just be vanishing...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

So it's a confirmed bug.

Please, go smashing, somebody...
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Oh man, I knew we shouldv changed ShipEntity.becomeEnergyBlast (like I said https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... highlight= ) Ill take a look at it, I think it should be easy enough to fix.

Edit: OK, can we go back to the initial question, what things should or should not cascade? Can we get a clear set of rules sorted out, so that we can get a proper fix, not just exclude asteroids?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Wasn't it said in diverse stories that the quirium reaction affected witchdrives, so it should affect ships, NPC and player alike, also thargoids, but no stations, no asteroids, no cargo, no advertisement billboards and no shipwrecks.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
OK, can we go back to the initial question, what things should or should not cascade? Can we get a clear set of rules sorted out, so that we can get a proper fix, not just exclude asteroids?
I think everything that can contain fuel as it is a chain reaction of fuel explosions when I am right. To me that are only ships and stations. (ships refuel on stations)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Interesting -- what about ships with fuel = 0 ?

I was going to make changes based upon scan class, but maybe it should be based upon fuel level or something.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

What if you could dump all your fuel very quickly, becoming safe to the Q-wave?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Nope, except for stations (which are immortal, due to erm.... some good reason that I cant think of right now), planets and stars everything is still destroyed by mines, they just do not cause a further "cascading" blast.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Arg. Well I guess you could dump your fuel by hitting the "i" key and thereby becoming safe from the blast...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

wackyman465 wrote:
What if you could dump all your fuel very quickly, becoming safe to the Q-wave?
I guess the fuel would be floating in space, close to you, and thus cause another cascade.

Anyway, the deadly thing is not having fuel aboard, but being in the blast range, and that could happen with zero fuel?!?

However, have you ever observed the flying dutchman? He causes such explosions regularly and can fly through them, obviously unharmed! Oh yes, and he typically has a trumble for me...

Screet
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Well mayhaps there could be a ridiculously expensive, one-time use ablative ship shield that protects you from Qwaves - we're talking maybe 75,000cr?
Big credit sink for all you rich folks out there.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
Interesting -- what about ships with fuel = 0 ?

I was going to make changes based upon scan class, but maybe it should be based upon fuel level or something.
Better not use the real fuel property but still use scanclass. But I still think stations should be included. (MainStation has a special exclusion) But for me it would be logical when a Rock Hermit would also cascade. (and that has scanclass rock)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Mayhaps main stations shouldn't be invulnerable - just hard to kill. Give them turrets, defense ships, shields - that'd be fun.
Of course, their fuel tanks are shielded against radiation, so they don't cascade, and are immune to q-bombs.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Yeah, the thing is, main stations kind of need to be immortal due to some "limitations" in oolite. A few things dont work properly if they get killed.