IFF Screen Questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

greenco
Above Average
Above Average

IFF Screen Questions

Post by greenco »

Here are a couple of newbie questions.

1 .. When a space craft appears on the IFF screen, a verticle line is attached to the icon. Some are above the icon and some are below it. I am guessing that these lines represent the direction and or speed of the craft. I found this a few days ago and now I don't know where I read it.

2 .. I have tried flying to one of the unpowered craft (white icon), to find out what they are, and I can never find one. What is the procedure to fly to anything, that shows up on the IFF screen?
Thanks
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Those lines as you call them... we refer to as lollipops...

you read the IFF like this, the line it self represents how much above you or how much below you the ship are

the end of the line that is slightly larger represents where the ship is...

like this

Code: Select all

__ <-------------- the ship is in the direction of up from you
  |
  |
  |<--------- this is how far in the direction of up the ship is
  |

Code: Select all

|
  |
  |<--------- this is how far in the direction of downwards the ship is
  |
  __ <-------------- the ship is in the direction of down from you
So the IFF screen is a 3d representation of everything around you
try launching from the station, fly a bit away from it, downwards up, what you like.. now roll, and watch the station how it moves according to your scanner... then you get the hang of it...

Regarding the white dots, these are usually dropped cargo, or asteroids...
cargo pods are really small but you can zoom in your IFF with the Z key, a number indicates the magnification, when you reached maximum magnification the next press on Z will return to normal...

here is a link to the wiki, which i just found regarding the IFF system

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/IFF_system
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
greenco
Above Average
Above Average

Post by greenco »

Frame, thanks for the info!

I think I understand it now and I will try the tip about rolling after launching. I have looked at the link several times and several more, but I did not find an explanation of the "Lollipop". I found it once and it might have been while I was looking through some of the "Elite" documentation.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this game!!!
I flew "Elite", when it was first released, and did achieve the rank of Elite before it fell by the wayside. It is like finding an old friend again!!

Thanks