Fugitive vessels due to Hatchling BoyRacers?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Fugitive vessels due to Hatchling BoyRacers?

Post by Screet »

Hi,

I thought all the time that all those fugitives (even Navy Condors) which do not believe themselves to have done any wrong, that they did accidentally cause friendly fire.

I am not so sure about this anymore: I just had an encounter with such an annoying creature...and was having a look at a Dredger Trader (my previous ship type)...funny thing is that my current ship is much more tiny than a single engine of that colossus. Well...I miss the ramming capabilities, but the Merlin really handles better ;)

However, that annoying Creature did attack the Trader, which did cry for help. Police came...the trader returned fire to the attacker and became offender, was shot at by the police and became fugitive, yelled for help. I did help the police...the poor trader really did not understand what was going on. That would well explain all those fugitive system vessels, IF the HBR attack everyone and not just players. Indeed, the HBR did not even care to insult me anymore or attempt to attack me....seems he was satisfied that a big freighter was shot down due to him.

I suggest that everyone who buys such a vehicle either has to pay for his own permanent navy nanny or become fugitive as soon as being alone...and can I pay for an assassination of the person responsible for building those ships? :twisted:

Screet, who was leader of the assassins in a MUD.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Screet,

do you have an older version of Realistic Shipyards perhaps?

Months-old versions had a problem with sometimes fugitive system vessels.

You should by all means, if you use this oxp, use the newest version, V3.02b! This one is free from such unwanted ship behaviour.

There are fugitive carriers and capital vessels with RS, that is intended behaviour. But they are no system vessels! In the next version of RS - Oolite Shipyards Expansion - such ships will be marked what they are - their designation will be i.e. "Navy Condor (Reported Stolen)" - so it will be obvious at first scanner glance that this is no friendly-fire police, but a deadly-fire pirate who got his tentacles on a captured capital ship ...

Cheers

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
You should by all means, if you use this oxp, use the newest version, V3.02b! This one is free from such unwanted ship behaviour.

There are fugitive carriers and capital vessels with RS, that is intended behaviour. But they are no system vessels! In the next version of RS - Oolite Shipyards Expansion - such ships will be marked what they are - their designation will be i.e. "Navy Condor (Reported Stolen)" - so it will be obvious at first scanner glance that this is no friendly-fire police, but a deadly-fire pirate who got his tentacles on a captured capital ship ...
Hi, and thank you for the reply. Yes, I do have the mentioned version installed, and never had an old one before. It's just that my attention was pointed to this game very short time ago, I played with the non-test release until I decided to want more fun and then installed the current test release of the game in order to be able to run some nice AddOns.

I've definitely seen VERY differently designated capital ships, many also are a result of Deep Space Pirates, as they have (ds) or (ds)(ds) info.

The different designations however add up to quite many encounters with non-clean capital ships....and some of them really don't talk as being system vessels while others do...and those are the ones which made me curious as how this happened to them.

Maybe one further explanation is the "anti fighter guns" of big ships - they probably can hit a clean or system vessel accidentally and thus lead to chaos? Thargoids, as already reported by someone else, can have this pretty easy during combat. Typically it's a terrorizer frigate that get's hit with those slower "bullets" and then start to shoot with the source, a battleship. Sometimes I've even been able to "use" a terrorizer as a sort of mobile shield against the battleships - and then had to hurry in order to get the bounty for the terrorizer myself, after it had some shooting with the battleship ;)

Screet
Pegleg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Pegleg »

I have found the problem to be more with the Boy Racers than with Realistic Shipyards, having played both OXPs with the same results. I get attacked by the racers and I return fire... only to find that I am now an offender and the racer is still "Clean". Your only recourse is to be sure that there are no police around, or to sit tight and don't return fire until he pops off a shot at you in front of the cops. Either of which just chaps my butt down to the core of my soul, but is safer than fighting GalCop.
Shoot first and pick up the goodies later...
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I´d say, it is expected behaviour.

Without even having boy racers installed, I speculate that these do not use Oolites standard roles of pirate, but a unique custom role.

Only ships that have a bounty are valid targets, if a boy racers does not have a bounty, then he is not yet an offender. So its really a matter of keeping an eye out for the police.. The Status Quo actually tells you how this works.. when in aegis range or when police is in scanner range.. do not fire at ships that are clean..

In the Law´s eyes, the first one who fires a shot in front of any police is the attacker and the target, the victim... We can´t very well have court sessions in Oolite to find out who fired the first shot... ;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Divas Kind Imps
Average
Average

Post by Divas Kind Imps »

Hhhhmmm...

I'm not running the "Realistic Shipyards" and I've not had a problem with Boy Racers- yet.

Just the other night I had a Boy Racer identified as a red-threat on the IFF. After an exchange of words, I began taking pot-shots at him to warn him off. My aim was good - he begged to "lets be friends" and my next shot destroyed him.

My first thoughts were "oh crap, now I'm a fugitive.", but my record remained clean and I got the kill recorded in my kill-list.

Did he have a record? I don't know. Were any GalCop Vipers around? No.
As for the user name...

It is what happens when Thargoids become identity thieves and having ravaged an account to fund their war-efforts, leave your empty coffers and account profiles with re-engineered and totally Thargodized (a new verb?) name.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Pegleg wrote:
Your only recourse is to be sure that there are no police around, or to sit tight and don't return fire until he pops off a shot at you in front of the cops. Either of which just chaps my butt down to the core of my soul, but is safer than fighting GalCop.
Other ways to deal with them (except running away):
- run them over, as their ship is almost incapable of suffering any damage! That's also much easier than aiming at those little military laser pods...and you will probably suffer less shield damage than you get from a single shot!
- fly towards a big ship and take it as a shield, as I reported. The big ship will become hostile towards the racer and you can run away as the racer will go for the big ship. This also works in order to make a trader fugitive and than shoot him down for his cargo if the police is around :twisted:
- if you've got the cloak, they won't annoy you as they do not re-target in the brief amount of being visible (some ships can!)

...and once I got things solved with administrations in RL, I'll relax and write up some nice random hits additions concerning those racers, in the hope that they can/will be included :twisted:

Screet
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Just wanted to welcome you to the Forums Pegleg, as nobody else has done so, as of yet.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
I´d say, it is expected behaviour. .....In the Law´s eyes, the first one who fires a shot in front of any police is the attacker and the target, the victim... We can´t very well have court sessions in Oolite to find out who fired the first shot... ;-)
I also assume that though the racer fired first, he was still out of scanner range of the police. Can happen when that ship was at the other side of you than the police was.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Yeah, I've been fired upon by Hatchlings before. I used to make he mistake of engaging them, then choking on my coffee when a Viper suddenly pops on screen. I wonder if the Hatchling has a special Cop-scanner so it can detect with unerring accuracy where the nearest Vipers are so they can screw your legal status....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Pegleg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Pegleg »

Thanks DaddyHoggy! I seem to have kicked over an ant hill. LoL

Maybe we can have special bounty hunts for those vermin... after so many kills they start calling you Bwana. LoL

Anyhow, I love this game and am working on contributing back into it with a Space Truckers OXP. I just need to dust off some new programming skills. I've worked with all of the Basic languages over the last 23 years... it figures that no one uses them anymore... I just need to learn the differences is all.
Shoot first and pick up the goodies later...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Pegleg - looking forward to your contributions - all mine are Ads for Your Ad Here and a few ideas in Suggestions which eventually run out of steam... :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here