Shipdata-set bounty sometimes ignored

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Shipdata-set bounty sometimes ignored

Post by Lestradae »

While playtesting OSE I noticed that shipdata-defined bounties sometimes work as intended and sometimes a random "normal" bounty is set. Is this intended (wouldn't make a lot of sense to me)? Is this a bug?

Triple-checked this - a new sort of OSE ship, that has a fixed bounty if it appears as a pirate, sometimes appears with this bounty and sometimes with another, random one. It's not an oxp problem.

Didn't observe this before 1.72.1, I think.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Shipdata-set bounty sometimes ignored

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
Triple-checked this - a new sort of OSE ship, that has a fixed bounty if it appears as a pirate, sometimes appears with this bounty and sometimes with another, random one. It's not an oxp problem.
When added by the system, traders are always clean and pirates always have a random bounty. The value in shipdata is ignored in those cases. Its a feature, not a bug. This way a ship than can be both pirate and trader has always the correct bounty.

What is a bug in my opinion is that when a script adds those roles, it does use the shipdata for bounty, resulting in offender traders or clean pirates.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Shipdata-set bounty sometimes ignored

Post by Lestradae »

Eric Walch wrote:
When added by the system, traders are always clean and pirates always have a random bounty. The value in shipdata is ignored in those cases. Its a feature, not a bug.
While I would agree on the trader part (that makes sense, to not accidentally have a fugitive trader), I'm not so sure about the pirate part. For example, for OSE I let the game choose pirate capital vessels which are really hard to kill. But if you do, you can expect to be paid out a Random Hits - level bounty. With this feature for pirate ships, this means that after an enormous, resource-wasting and long battle all you get are 40 Cr :?
Eric Walch wrote:
This way a ship than can be both pirate and trader has always the correct bounty.
This was an error I actually made in the beginning of RS, and I also think, as already mentioned, that "cleaning" traders is a good and useful core game feature. But why take the shipdata bounty away from pirates? That makes no sense, imho.
Eric Walch wrote:
What is a bug in my opinion is that when a script adds those roles, it does use the shipdata for bounty, resulting in offender traders or clean pirates.
Why not treat script-added pirates and script-added traders the same as core game - added ones in that respect?

Perhaps I am (again) being naive here about how easy this is or not, but why not make traders clean anyways and leave pirates shipdata bounty (if there is any) to be set via shipdata? Just asking.

Would my suggestion be a solution or is there a reason against it I don't know about or overlook?