Pirate Coves killing me?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Pirate Coves killing me?

Post by Cmdr James »

It seems that every time I destroy a pirate cove (a rock hermit, with 100Cr bounty), at exactly the moment it is destroyed, I get instantly killed.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am using trunk on OSX, this occurs when I have full health, nothing attacking me etc.

Cheers.

Edit: I put this here, rather than in expansion packs, as I doubt this is an OXP problem, but rather something awry in recent changes.

Edit (again) pirate coves does not seem to have a version, number, but the file timestamps are all 26 Jan 2005
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

looking at the same version and I cant find anything with-in the pirate cove scripting or plist files that would destroy a player.

Could you list your installed OXPs, preferably the first 50 lines of the latest.log found in oolite.app/logs/

at least until it has listed the OXPs... ANy warnings / errors should also be included...

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Thanks for the help. Im sure I can sort it out myself, I was just wondering if anyone else was seeing the same behaviour.

I have a theory that it might be debris from the explosion that killed me, due to hanging around too close to stuff I was killing.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
I have a theory that it might be debris from the explosion that killed me, due to hanging around too close to stuff I was killing.
The pirate cove should act in no way different as the rock hermit. Its ship definition is almost identical. It also should not fall apart in debris. A rock hermit is basically made of rock and not from metal. As far as I know there was always special code to let a hermit break into boulders instead of alloys. It was the scanClass that did the trick.

Code: Select all

- (void) becomeExplosion
{
    //  deleted code	
	if (scanClass == CLASS_ROCK)	// ie we're a rock hermit or similar
	{
		// set the role so that we break up into rocks!
		[self setPrimaryRole:@"asteroid"];
		being_mined = YES;
	}

// finally bite the bullet
	[super becomeExplosion];
Explosion in station entity fists turns the whole station into an asteroid and that calls the becomeExplosion in ship entity.

When you are hit by something it should be boulders.

But are you sure is was not a special station with death_actions that let is become a q-bomb explosion? I have never seen it, but it can be done with a death_action. When you look inside cargo_wreck.oxp you will se that when a NPC ship scoops up a bad fuelpod (the red one), the quirium inside the pod explodes with a script_action. With the player scooping it, it just causes a fuel leak.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Could it be that this is somehow related to the things I've spotted when we (Eric + I) have made the last version of BuoyRepair?

There I've seen that if a ship collides with the station and the player is nearby (means close to the bounding box), sometimes the player gets a momentum - as if HE has collided with the station. It doesn't happen very often, but from time to time. The momentum is not so big, but enough to move the ship a few seconds.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I have been testing the new q-mine code and have seen that it is certainly possible to die from StationEntity instances being killed. I have seen it with RockHermits and some stuff in witchspace (behemoth and giant ray, I think).

It can happen either when the stationentity is destroyed by laser fire, or by q-mine, and I expect anything else.

Nothing interesting is written to the log.

My best guess, and that is all it is so far, is that something nasty is happening when the carrier checks to see if the player is docked, and tries to launch you. I was thinking maybe the docked ships are destroyed and that they are either not properly initialized, or that they may for some reason have the same ID as the player, but I cannot see any code which might exhibit the behaviour seen.

Ill try to set some breakpoints, and maybe add some logging to see if we can see what the cause of death is.