Military Anti Scanner Countermeasures

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Little Bear wrote:
Your can use fireMissile in an AI attack state to get it to realease a barrage, with fireMissile, fireMissile, fireMissile
The question was quite the opposite: Not to fire as many missiles at once. That's hard coded. Or to be more precise: When in performAttack state, the ship regularly checks if it has more than a certain minimum amount of missiles. If yes, it is very willingly to fire them by itself. This is just part of the performAttack code. When the amount drops below a certain level he keeps the last few missiles for emergencies. One of those emergencies is energy low.

All internal ships are balanced in a way they have an amount close to that minimum value so they never fire that many. But when a ship has many on board, he is more likely to also fire many. This even makes some sense.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Lestradae wrote:
Thanks LittleBear, didn't know that, and have yet to understand Java script :oops:
What LittleBear wrote has nothing to do at all with JavaScript. He was giving information about AI-scripting.

Anyway, the point is moot, as Eric pointed out above.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
All internal ships are balanced in a way they have an amount close to that minimum value so they never fire that many. But when a ship has many on board, he is more likely to also fire many. This even makes some sense.
Maybe the internal code should have an upgrade then ;) For most opponents it does not make sense to fire many times more missiles thean they could survive, even ECM won't help enough. As I said, such behaviour drains the reserves too early and when it's needed, they're not there anymore. Of course, Thargons are a different thing, with the exception of fearing an energy bomb to clean the sky, there it's best to release them as soon as the enemy comes into weapons range, probably even earlier if they are faster than their mother ship.

BTW: A rogue constitution that attacks can be "tamed" by pressing shift-C. They will then even do a proper high-level maintenance for very few credits ;)

I haven't tried to tame a condor this way by now. Maybe it is because it's so much easier to shoot em. However, the Condors appear to have some strange positioned dock (at 45 degree angle, so it's not possible to dock while the ship is moving). I have not managed to get in there manually and when I press shift-C on a friendly condor, they do create the proper messages for docking (wait, finished uploading,...) but my docking computer appears not to be able to dock and the condor moves on?!?

About juggernauts: There's a specific variant where the construction restricts the width of the dock. Everytime I tried to dock there without prior shift-c and then disabling the computer, I crashed?!? However, recently I managed to dock manually after disabling the computer. I had an asp dock there right in front of my eyes, though....the width of the dock was so small that I was afraid the asp might explode, but it just vanished inside, as shortly afterwards I did.

Concerning that, the dock of the constitution is really the best, even dockable while the ship is hostile (without the above mentioned taming). However, it's just my personal thing not to like SW/ST stuff like wing-fighters or those ships in here. I guess the Imperial Courier is as much into ST ship building style as I can like. I really wish they were theme pack OXPs that could, but do not have to be bundled with RS. BTW: What kind of bomb is it within the constitutions dock? It reminds me a little bit of the first of earth's nukes...maybe it's even the tzar bomb?

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Screet wrote:
BTW: A rogue constitution that attacks can be "tamed" by pressing shift-C. They will then even do a proper high-level maintenance for very few credits ;)
That's an RS bug, thanks for finding another one :)

You will receive a PM answer soon, my RL hasn't let me do anything Oolite in two weeks :(

Cheers

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
Screet wrote:
That's an RS bug, thanks for finding another one :)
Are you sure that this is from RS only? Some OXP add's the naval reserve duty to the game and has random "missions". There is one with a pirate base that needs to be destroyed. I did not attempt to force dock, however, when I shot the sky clear, they did respond to my docking computers request, which I instantly aborted for lasering, though?!? Thus I expected it to be a "feature" of the game, as they probably did want to allow players to force-dock at a systems station after (accidentally) becoming fugitive and disabling the docking computer temporarily...

Screet
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

RS is named zzzzz for a reason. It means its entries overwrite those of any other OXPs you have installed. This is a senisble solution by Lestrade and its really the only solution if you want to do an all-the-oxps-in-one OXP. It does mean though that the game will always read an entry in RS in preference to the orginal one. In fairness to Lestrade as well, in volunterring to do a mega pack he did inherit all the bugs in all OXPs he merged in RS. The only trouble is, it does mean if you play with RS installed rather than doing a pick and mix from the wikki oxp page, a bug in RS will always be run in favour of an updated version of the OXP.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.