sell_equipment.oxp, version 1.2 (bugfix)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

sell_equipment.oxp, version 1.2 (bugfix)

Post by Commander McLane »

EDIT2: Removed a nasty bug that leads to unexpected behaviour of Anarchies.oxp, if you have both OXPs installed. Sell_equipment 1.1 can result in marking the wrong equipment items as bought from the Salvage Gang, and therefore gives them a breaking chance. So please install sell_equipment 1.2 from the wiki instead.

EDIT: Now including some more (OXP) equipment items, which you can resell as well. The refund is still 60% of the original price, unaffected by equipment_price_factor.

Exactly what is says on the tin.

This small OXP allows you to sell (most of) the original equipment included in the game, and get a refund. The equipment department of your station will ask for a small fee for the process, and refund you 60% of the original recommended retail price, independent of and equipment price factors valid on the station.

The only thing you have to do is to choose the "Sell whatever" option on the F3-screen.

This OXP does not work for lasers, missiles, and passenger berths, as these items have their own, built-in resell/replacement routines.

The sell_equipment.oxp (v1.2) is available for download here.

For everything else read its readMe.

NOTE: If you want more equipment (like some item from your own OXP) included, please let me know, either here or via PM.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

One thought, could this be made dependent on the tech level of the system you're selling in (compared to the tech level of the item sold)? I'm thinking that if you're selling something in a high-tech system then as it will be commonly available anyway the price could be low, but if you're selling it in a low tech system then it could actually be worth more than you paid for it.

Could even be a little side-line in equipment trading...

Oh, and feel free to add in any of my OXP equipment to this.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

That's an idea, possibly for version 1.1. As it is now, you can sell only in on stations with a techlevel that allows you to buy the item. The idea behind it being that stations with a lower TL couldn't handle it anyway.

So for any equipment of lets say TL 9+, you also can sell it only in TL 9+.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

First of all and before everybody in the forum starts throwing rocks to me I want to clarify that I am against the integration of OXPs to the main package as a general rule. The expansion pack is an expansion in other words something that expands the main package – terminal.

But in the case that a particular oxp solves a bug or a serious drawback of the base game it would be wise to integrate it. The most recent example was the integration of external views opx by commander McLane into oolite 1.70. So what I am suggesting is not something new.

Today we had the creation of an oxp that from my point of view solves a drawback in the game. The name of the oxp is sell_equipment.oxp (again created by commander McLane). That oxp gives you the ability to sale all the equipment of the base game as long as the tech level of the station permits it. I strongly recommend the integration of that oxp into the main package in one form or another (this is open to discussion)

You know there are a lot of players that do not regularly enter the forum. They just download the game and play it. Their first impression about the game is in its plain form. All those users sooner or later will find the oxp page in the wiki, start downloading some of them and explore the endless possibilities of oolite but in order for them to reach that point they must like the game at the first place aka the base package.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Contrary to throwing rocks (or probably Thargons in my case), I'd overall agree with that statement.

But I would say use the OXP version for the moment to decide exactly how it's going to work, and once it's stabilised and everyone is happy with the mechanisms then I would agree it's a candidate for integration.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Thargoid wrote:
Contrary to throwing rocks (or probably Thargons in my case), I'd overall agree with that statement.

But I would say use the OXP version for the moment to decide exactly how it's going to work, and once it's stabilised and everyone is happy with the mechanisms then I would agree it's a candidate for integration.
Fair enough

Edit:
Just test it
The first impression is very good, although it makes the list of equipment a lot bigger but I can see no possible way to avoid that via an oxp

One of my first observations is a “sense conflict” with customsounds oxp because every time you sell an item you hear that sweet female voice telling you “Item bought” Any ideas for a possible walkaround to the problem?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

First of all thank you for the flowers, Ark! :D :D :D

I would have no objections against integration into the game. But I'd also say let's first improve it.

Playing a different sound would have to be done in the code, I guess. This seems to be beyond the realm of an OXP. Being a part of the code would also allow for a different sorting of the 'item'. Anything from an OXP is just added at the end of the list, I assume in alphabetical order of the OXP.

For now I have integrated equipment from some OXPs, namely the Bounty Scanner, Chaff Dispenser, Emergency Energy Unit, Fuel Collector, and Ore Processor. I think, though, that if we are talking about an integration in the game, it should be only native equipment; and OXP-equipment should be done preferably in the OXP that has it (like Eric started with the Missile Analyser).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Uploaded version 1.1, now allowing to resell some more items:

- Bounty Scanner
- Chaff Launcher
- Emergency Energy Unit
- Fuel Collector
- Ore Processor

New download link in the first post above.

Comments, wishes, suggestions as always welcome here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Uploaded version 1.2, in which a nasty bug is removed which can cause weird behaviour in Anarchies.oxp, if you have both OXPs installed. Explanation and new download link in the first post above.