Peculiar persistent program crash

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Qev
Average
Average

Peculiar persistent program crash

Post by Qev »

Now with alliteration!

I'm actually running the 1.72 test release under WinXP SP2, Athlon XP 2800+, 1.5GB ram, GeForce 6600 256MB system, and the game seems to kill itself pretty reliably after about an hour's play. The end result is a crash-to-desktop with the following message:
Our Friend Microsoft wrote:
The instruction at '0x63d0d192' referenced memory at '0x00000024'.
The memory could not be read.
Click OK to terminate the program.
Is this just the memory-leak monster, or something else? :)
Making everyone's day a little more surreal.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Is it crashing when doing some particular action? Can you try playing in a Window with Task Manager open and monitor memory consumption? Does it happen also without any OXPs installed?

Has anybody else had game sessions longer than 1 - 1.5 hours and encountered problems?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

another_commander wrote:
Has anybody else had game sessions longer than 1 - 1.5 hours and encountered problems?
I've had several gamesessions longer than 2h in the last weeks and no problems, but I didn't jump so much while testing new stuff. And on my computer the leaking (and the memory usage) is absolutely ok. I've got the feeling that the cache-handling has changed a lot in v1.72 :-)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I'm playing 1.72 on an XP Pro machine, with less than a gig of ram, a single-core Athalon, and a Geforce FX card. It runs very stable.

I check the FPS (shift-F) when I start the game. If it's less than 75 FPS stable when I see the tumbling Cobra, I kill the game and restart it.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Qev
Average
Average

Post by Qev »

another_commander wrote:
Is it crashing when doing some particular action? Can you try playing in a Window with Task Manager open and monitor memory consumption? Does it happen also without any OXPs installed?

The time between crashes varies, but it seems that if I play it long enough, it will invariably go splat. It ranges from 10 minutes to several hours of play... the odd bit (to me at least) is that the instruction and memory addresses never change.

I've tried it both with and without OXPs (first thing I tested!) and it doesn't seem to matter. It seems to happen most often when I'm in-station, but has occasionally happened in free flight.

I'll give it a shot with the task manager running, to see what happens there. It could just be my Windows install... it is well past the Microsoft-recommended six month lifetime. :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

By the way: It surely wouldn't hurt to send a crash report to the proper place, containing the proper information (stderr, windows crash report).
Qev
Average
Average

Post by Qev »

Commander McLane wrote:
By the way: It surely wouldn't hurt to send a crash report to the proper place, containing the proper information (stderr, windows crash report).
Done! :)

Also, memory usage at the time of the last crash was 229812kb.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You don't happen to run an overclocked system do you? Also, what is the processor temperature at the time of the crash? The fact that is crashing always on the same address seems suspect to me. I would recommend running a memory check utility just to be sure.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oops! Stderr.txt is no longer useful in 1.72. I’ve updated the crash report guidelines with the correct log locations.

In this case, though, I doubt the log will be helpful. It sounds like sporadic memory corruption, a particularly nasty type of bug to track down. :-/ (But if another_commander’s hypothesis is right, that’s fine by me!)
Qev
Average
Average

Post by Qev »

Yeah, I'm kinda getting a sneaky suspicion that my RAM might be getting a bit... tetchy. Other applications are starting to get kinda quirky, too, so I guess I'll dig up memtest. :)