@Ahruman & A_C: Turret setup actions - 1.72 bug 2.0

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

For a sub-entry that is an extra laser, its armed in the sub-entry with a laser. Eg :-

Code: Select all

<key>wolftooth</key>
<dict>
<key>energy_recharge_rate</key>
<real>1.5</real>
<key>max_energy</key>
<real>80</real>
<key>ai_type</key>
<string>nullAI.plist</string>
<key>forward_weapon_type</key>
<string>WEAPON_MILITARY_LASER</string>
<key>laser_color</key>
<string>redColor</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>tooth.dat</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>Wolf Laser Mount</string>
<key>roles</key>
<string>wolftooth</string>
</dict>
A sub-entry that is a turret uses the initialiseTurret in setup_actions and does not have a laser.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi LittleBear,

1.) I checked the differentiation of "has <key>somewhere_weapon_type</key> and no initialise turret setup action and no "<key>somewhere_weapon_type</key>" with initialise turret setup action - but that doesn`t seem to be the solution either.

For some reason, the subentity termed "turret" on the player falcon of Kak`s repaired Falcon/Kestrel oxp does work as intended if initialised, but the subentity termed "gun" doesn`t, and it doesn`t have a weapon type key either!

I get the suspicion if the game somehow treats subentities with roles that have "turret" or "gun" in differently???

2.) Does really no one else get this graphics glitch? LittleBear, have you downloaded my two example oxps and had a look at the F3-F3 in-shipyard Urutu graphics?

One oxp makes the Urutu appear as it should, the other gives a graphical glitch with a subentity termed aram missile.

The only difference between the two test oxps is that one initialises the Urutu`s turrets and the other doesn`t.

Either this is OS-related, or no one has noticed (?) or there is something staring me in the face all the time and I just don`t get it ...

Frustrated

L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I can at least guarantee you that it is not OS related. And, as I said, I am seeing the Urutu problem on my system.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

another_commander wrote:
I can at least guarantee you that it is not OS related. And, as I said, I am seeing the Urutu problem on my system.
OK, thanks for that feedback. So the problem is definitely not only on my system.

In my OSE Beta oxp, every single ship that has player turrets that are initialised exhibit the same sort of graphics problem! That`s why I no longer think its oxp-related. I managed to recreate the same thing with Kak`s Falcon/Kestrel oxp, too.

Strange thing is, I found one exception there. There is one turret on the Falcon that works as intended if I do the setup action to initialise (the bweed-falcon-player-turret), but a second turret (the bweed-falcon-gun) gives me a urutu-similar graphics glitch.

Also tried to rename the "gun" entry into a unique new "turret" entry (so that the name, roles, even the model - and yes, renamed that too in the models folder - had a "turret" in name instead of "gun"). Doesn`t work, either.

Hope this elusive bug can be hunted down :?

L
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I haven’t looked at the problem OXP yet, but if the problem is what I think it is a workaround is to make sure turret subentities appear last in the list, i.e. no normal subentity or flasher may come after a turret. (This is still a bug, mind.)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@Ahruman:

Will try out.

Is this something that can/will be fixed for the next version of Oolite if your educated guess is correct or is this turrets business complicated?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It won’t be fixed for 1.72.1.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Tried out the workaround, doesn`t work, either.

Hope it`s going to get fixed for 1.73 or somesuch at least, or the possibility for players to have turrets is seriously impeded :(

Well, I can imagine how difficult it is for you guys to find those needles in Oolite`s haystacks.

8)

L
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

@ Lestradae:

I found this entry at the end of the native shipdata.plist.

Code: Select all

"ballturret" =
	{
		/*	Standard turret.
			Not used by Oolite directly, but provided as a resource for OXPs
			starting with Oolite 1.72.
		*/
		ai_type = "nullAI.plist";
		laser_color = magentaColor;
		model = "oolite-ball-turret.dat";
		name = "Ball Turret";
		roles = ballturret;