Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

actually that's an even better idea than shader-ifying the built in ships, we could maybe shader-ify Selezen's dream-team ships? you up for that Selezen? We could use some of the shader swe already have, or go the Oolite Materials route?
edit: thinking about it, if we use shaders we can randomise the ships paint colour & decals in Oolite v1.72 onwards
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ark wrote:
From what i can see a lot of the ships in the basic set are already ready
Maybe a common effort will be even better
A bit back, I said I’d like to “kidnap Griff and make him work as art director”, because for a really good replacement ship set, that’s what you need: someone to ensure a consistent vision. Griff’s, Selezen’s and Ramirez’s ships all look good, but they don’t work well together, because they have very different styles. Anyone can make whatever OXPs they please, of course, but a candidate for “official” replacement ship set would have to be self-consistent. Several people working separately, no matter how good they are, will never achieve that.

(Also, a complete high-quality replacement ship set would be the work of at least a year for several people, assuming they work on it more diligently than I ever have.)
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Ahruman wrote:
Ark wrote:
From what i can see a lot of the ships in the basic set are already ready
Maybe a common effort will be even better
A bit back, I said I’d like to “kidnap Griff and make him work as art director”, because for a really good replacement ship set, that’s what you need: someone to ensure a consistent vision. Griff’s, Selezen’s and Ramirez’s ships all look good, but they don’t work well together, because they have very different styles. Anyone can make whatever OXPs they please, of course, but a candidate for “official” replacement ship set would have to be self-consistent. Several people working separately, no matter how good they are, will never achieve that.

(Also, a complete high-quality replacement ship set would be the work of at least a year for several people, assuming they work on it more diligently than I ever have.)
Yes I can see your point and you are right but from my point of view it is a shame that after all those years (and development) the only full replacement set that we have is a texture pack made by sung!!!!!!!!

My personal opinion is that selezens (unfinished) replacement set would be preferable for the simple reason that although his ships are light years beyond the originals they manage to keep the same felling with the original ones. Something that Griff’s models (although they are absolutely stunning) fail to do. His Boa is a remarkable piece of art but is something from a different universe. And since all this talk would be pointless, since nobody would ever have the time to finish a full replacement set, I thought to drop the idea of cooperation.

However inconsistent will be the vision of a mixed set (as an oxp pack not as an official replacement set) it would be far better than a simple replacement texture pack that we have today
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

There's a concept I'm trying (and failing, due to University pressures :( ) to bring to life is that of the 'copyright' for the 'Snake'-class ships of the original Elite has expired, allowing other shipyards to create their own versions of the classics. Thus Seldar Shipyards (Selezen's brainchild), Ramon Industries and Soin Shipyards are all competing for the 'classic starship' market, up against upstart modernist producers like Benulobiweed Inc., O.C.C and Griff Interstellar.

It wouldn't be out of place to have identical ship stats with different exteriors, look at the Lotus Exige/Vauxhall VX220. The stats are so close since the stuff under the bonnet is pretty much identical (same manufacturer) but the exteriors are notably different.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I'd be happy to collaborate on getting shaders working for the Dream Team - one of the reasons I've paused work on the DT is that I wanted to learn some Shader magic before continuing and trying to get the specular shading working and work on a more realistic base metal texture to make them look GOOD.

Whoever wants to lend a hand would be wrlcome with an open cargo bay.

Ew. Not a nice image.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

To be consistent a good collaboration is nescessary. Hope to see a 'revived' Dream Team soon 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

[quote="another_commander"]

It's gonna eat you!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:shock:

Cor!

More! More!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

wackyman465 wrote:
another_commander wrote:

It's gonna eat you!
Ooo that's a bit filmy.
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

ClymAngus wrote:
Ooo that's a bit filmy.
:shock: Aw man.... Trouser change AGAIN!!!
Talking of filmy (yeah, i know this is the screenshot thread, but thought this was worth a mention) has anyone tried to make up a short vid seq.
The shots on the boards are stunning as always, but i cant help thinking seeing an action sequence vid running would be fantastic.
What to call this thread? Easy -YOO TUBE! :D Get enough of these vids together (mainly the battles) to create a game intro of sorts?
Or has this been done already?
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

gogz69 wrote:
Talking of filmy (yeah, i know this is the screenshot thread, but thought this was worth a mention) has anyone tried to make up a short vid seq.
The shots on the boards are stunning as always, but i cant help thinking seeing an action sequence vid running would be fantastic.
What to call this thread? Easy -YOO TUBE! :D Get enough of these vids together (mainly the battles) to create a game intro of sorts?
Something along these lines?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
gogz69 wrote:
Something along these lines?

Captain Hesperus
Is that mega man music I hear? It sounds mega man-ish. or some 8bit game... And we need more oolite vids, with griff shaders, and Fighting! If I make an oxp, I will put a little vid of it on youtube (or Try to port it to flash and put it on newgrounds...)

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

[quote="FSOneblin"]
Is that mega man music I hear? It sounds mega man-ish. or some 8bit game... And we need more oolite vids, with griff shaders, and Fighting!
YES!! YES!! YES!!
The bigger the battle, the better i say, some gritty power musical accompaniment too.
Yes.... i like where this is going :twisted:
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

gogz69 wrote:
FSOneblin wrote:
Is that mega man music I hear? It sounds mega man-ish. or some 8bit game... And we need more oolite vids, with griff shaders, and Fighting!
YES!! YES!! YES!!
The bigger the battle, the better i say, some gritty power musical accompaniment too.
Yes.... i like where this is going :twisted:
Like a huge brawl between a Thargoid invasion fleet and the Navy strike force sent to stop them, with Symphony of Destruction blasting away for a soundtrack.
F*** yeah! 8)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Like a huge brawl between a Thargoid invasion fleet and the Navy strike force sent to stop them, with Symphony of Destruction blasting away for a soundtrack.
F*** yeah! 8)
YOU GORITT MAN!!!
Using Griff's talents (others too, of course) this would be a stunning visual teaser for those discovering the game 8)
Some pitch eh?