Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cheats ???

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I'm not too familiar with Vista (and the general consensus at least here on the boards seems to be that it's crap), so this might just be one of it's wonderful, user-friendly features.

I also don't know what Oolite's load/save-screen on a PC actually looks like (Oolite Mac uses just the ordinary Mac file-handling box). So I cannot be sure whether on the load/save-screen there may be a hint to the save-location?

If not, the next thing I would do is to search for the filename of one of the save-files in Vista's browser (or whatever it's called).

Apart from that, I think I will have to appeal to other Vista-users to give a clue.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Without knowing Vista too well either, one thought may be is the folder actually there but hidden? I know on XP by default system and other files and folders were hidden away from sight under normal windows explorer viewing and you had to set an option to make them visible (or use a decent file viewer program).

With XP explorer it's under Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > Hidden files and folders (in the Advanced settings list).

Could this be something similar?
BNFTD
Poor
Poor

Hidden folder!?

Post by BNFTD »

No, it's also not an hidden folder. It could be just a bug, but I reinstalled about 5 times and guess: still the same result. Maybe I just have to try another version of Oolite!?

And you're completely right, Vista is crap. But it came free with my laptop, so I'm using it.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

How about approaching this from a different angle.

Why not try using Vista's search capabilities (presuming it has them) to look for files called "*.oolite-save" and seeing where (if anywhere) the things actually are?

Either that or down(up?)grade to XP, I can vouch that works without major issues ;)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

You`re all right, Vista is CRAP :evil: :evil: :evil:

The save game conundrum is solvable, Vista actually indeed hides the save games from a very dangerous viral infection: You. The User.

But alas, there is a switch somewhere in the system with which you can force it to show you the hidden system folders, where the save games lie. I got that tip from a friend of mine who is a programmer for the austrian state TV. Don`t ask. Perhaps you can find out how to switch "hidden" to "may see" from a friendly site on the net, I forgot.

After you have switch "may see" on, you will find the savegames here:

Computer:/C:/User/*USERNAME*/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite-saves

Now that was simple?!

If someone did a security system for a flat the way Microsoft did its "operating system" for computers, that someone would have made parts of your flat auto-lock yourself so that you wouldn`t break into your own flat and damage something ?!?!? :?

Hope that helps ...

:evil: L
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: oolite-saves

Post by Frame »

BNFTD wrote:
Thank you, but I've searched around allready (I'm not that nuts that I'm trying to search for a save-game that doesn't exsists, even I know that). But while the program keeps claiming he's creating the save-game in the oolite-saves folder, there isn't a trace of the oolite-saves folder. Like only the program sees it, and the explorer doesn't.
Well you can explore the direcotry structure from inside oolite... from where the save files reside... just pick the "..", and it goes one directory back... think you need to press down an additional key aswell for this to work...

that way i think you can trace it backwards to the root...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Is this one of those windows trying to be too clever and hiding system files type of problems?
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Hidden folder!?

Post by JohnnyBoy »

BNFTD wrote:
And you're completely right, Vista is crap. But it came free with my laptop, so I'm using it.
Please forgive me for being the smart-arse nitpicker BNFTD, but Windows never comes "free". It's cost was included in the price of the laptop and no-one gave you the option of buying the laptop without it.

I've racked my brain to come up with any other situation where you would walk into a store and be forced to include a second product from one company (and only one company) with your primary purchase without even being told that you were buying it - but so far I can't think of one...
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmdr James wrote:
Is this one of those windows trying to be too clever and hiding system files type of problems?
Yep.
BNFTD
Poor
Poor

Thanx

Post by BNFTD »

Thank you guys. Now it works. The problem is solved. Everybody: thanks.
CraZyRha
Poor
Poor

Post by CraZyRha »

Must admit i followed what i can, another vista user here, and still cant find saved games anywhere but the game does save them as it loads my commander after, just annoying not to be able to see much.

CraZy
BNFTD
Poor
Poor

Lost in the middle of save-games?

Post by BNFTD »

You're right, no matter what you try. The folder still doesn't exists. But I saved it in another folder. That does works, really.
Real Socialdad
Average
Average

Post by Real Socialdad »

This is how you show hidden files in VISTA :

Click START
Click CONTROL PANEL
Click FOLDER OPTIONS
Click VIEW Tab
Click "Show HiddenFiles & Folders"

If you want to see system files as well click "Hide protected operating system files"

Click OK's
Real Socialdad
Average
Average

VISTA SAVE GAME Folder Cheat - the truth is out there.......

Post by Real Socialdad »

Vista is like Chelsea or Man U - either hate it or luv it ....... anyhow to get to the save game folders this is what you do ......

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Folder Options
4. Click the View tab
5. Click Show hidden files and folders
6. If you want to see system files as well, unclick Hide protected operating system files
7. Click OK

Now you will be able to find your saved game file in this folder :

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves

Depending on your system the Program Files folder may not say (x86) - I'm running a 64 bit machine.

My opinion about Vista - it's not rubbish - it's just different.....takes a bit of getting used to and configuring, but after the above you'll find a lot of folders are now accessible .....
chomann
Above Average
Above Average

rofl

Post by chomann »

:lol: :lol: :D Windoze :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

no really sorry to hear about that...linux for life!
"To boldly go where no man has gone before, and drop off my Trumbles." ~ Ashby