Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

small issues-advice please

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

slowchalk
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

small issues-advice please

Post by slowchalk »

Hiya guys,have been playing for a couple of weeks since the game was mentioned on teletext (C4 page 694),am loving every minute so far,started with version 1.65,this crashed now and again but no big deal all PC games do..lol.. anyway did the 1st four missions before adding any oxp downloads then installed version 1.71.2 to try all the new stuff out.
Ok so now to the advice please,my save game is from 1.65 in it i got the naval energy unit whilst flying a BOA 2 CLASS CRUISER,the n.e.u. is listed in my equipment but not usable by the BOA,fair enough,but even when i swop ships it still doesn't seem to kick in like when i brought a ship with it fitted before i completed the mission to unlock it (prefitted to a Python)
Would you recommend starting from scratch under 1.71.2 or does the n.e.u work differently now i.e no screachy noise and energy banks charging the shields.
sorry for such a long 1st post,cheers in advance
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, slowchalk, and first of all welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

Save-files work version-independently, so you can use your old save-file from 1.65 without any problem in 1.71.2 (and vice versa).

The Naval Energy Unit remains unlocked after you have been awarded it (and/or the right to purchase it). So for every new ship you are buying you will be able to buy it as well (as long as it can be installed in that particular ship, of course).

Don't expect to "see" it working, though. The only thing the N.E.U. does is to increase the recharge rate of your energy banks. So you will see the difference only if your energy banks get depleted. The N.E.U. does not have any effect on your shields or their recharge rate.
slowchalk
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by slowchalk »

Many thanks Commander for your time.
Had Elite on the BBC in the 80's on tape so even with no oxp's installed there are more ships as standard,don't think you got mil lasers either !!
Cheers
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

You may find answers to a lot of other questions in the Elite Wiki. The Oolite Main Page has links to all the interesting sections, namely the Oolite-FAQ, the Instruction Manual, and, for your purpose, explanations on the available Equipment as well as Ships.
JackBassV
Average
Average

Post by JackBassV »

You must have had a BBC Electron then, or at least the Electron version of the game (I seem to remember that it could run on the Model B too.)

That version had no missions and a cut down ship list compared to all other versions (including the Spectrum and NES ones.) It was still fun though.

JBV^_^
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

The bbc micro had the constrictor mission and you could get military lasers. I don't remember what level you had to reach for either, was a long time ago. Spent too many late nights and weekends on that to get to elite.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Alex wrote:
... and you could get military lasers. I don't remember what level you had to reach ...
Yes, every version of Elite (including Oolite) has Military Lasers. They are available for basically every ship, anytime. The only 'level' you have to reach for them is 6000 credits per laser. :wink: (And you will get the full price of your original Pulse Lasers refunded, if you install a Military Forward Laser, so it's only 5200 credits in that case. 8) )