Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Damn and blast!!!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Damn and blast!!!

Post by drew »

I think my PC has screwed up in backing up the memory stick I use for my books so I can edit the texts on the train on the way into work.. :evil:

Looks like, despite saying it had, it's failed to copy the contents of the stick to my network, so when I copied the folder back to the stick along with all the new competition entries it's overwritten the new stuff with the old backup which was a week old. :evil: :evil:

Windows! I knew I should have used my linux laptop (only my big pc has windows for itunes etc and I was listening to some stuff at the time)

I'll need to check my network tonight to see if the files are really there or not. Worse case is I've lost a weeks worth of editing. :evil: :evil: :evil: Which is doubly annoying as I had a great idea for chapter 7 which I'd put in, which I might have now lost. :roll:

Might have to delay publication of chapter 4.... will keep you posted. Sorry! :oops: :cry:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Sorry to hear it! :? Hope you can recover everything!
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Sorry to hear that mate, feel for you! I did the same thing a week ago with a couple of hacks I'd made to the sources and had to redo everything from scratch. I'm still unconvinced that the new implementation is better than the original one.

I've now put my hacked branch into my own SCCS instead of just keeping various copies around my various machines. Should've done that from the start but Subversion is a PITA when trying to copy stuff between repositories.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

No good. :cry:

Lost everything back to the 26 September. :evil:

I'd put a lot of effort into tweaking.chapter seven and it's all gone.

Bit disheartening. Will have to gee myself up to get back into it. :cry:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Jack_H
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Jack_H »

Oh no drew that sucks! I've had the same thing happen to me heaps of times. But instead of a fluffed transfer, the stick has actually died on me. The first time I had no backup, so an entire story was lost. Then I started using window's briefcase so the damage was minimal. But the point is you're not alone and we feel your pain. Hopefully it is there somewhere!
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Darn, sorry to hear that, But it's not your fault, blame jack chick. I wish I could do more, but I'm only god, I can't make miracles, you know. I'm really sorry to hear that.

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Partly bad timing - I do a weekly backup of everything on my network on Friday night. So worst I loose a weeks work. Turns out I did. :x

In better news - Chapter 4 was mostly unaffected - so will be able to upload that one as planned.

Chapter 5 ok too, but lost all mods to 6,7,8,9 and 10. (mostly 7)

Sort of good news - one of my kids has just had a nightmare - waking me up at 3am in the morning. Can't get back to sleep so thought I'd work on getting the later chapters back in shape....

So, just in case there are mutant giraffes and monsters under the bed in later chapters - you know where they have come from!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Watch out for the Arornar deadly goat under the bed :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

drew wrote:
Partly bad timing - I do a weekly backup of everything on my network on Friday night. So worst I loose a weeks work. Turns out I did. :x
To quote my old university syshack:

"The good sys-admin does his Friday back-up every Friday evening, so he has a safety net. The great sys-admin does his Friday back-up on Thursday, 'cos if something breaks it's guaranteed to be on a Friday afternoon.
Last edited by Thargoid on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've said it before...........the frequency and number of backups you do is directly proportional to the value of the data you have previously lost..........me........I'm paranoid!!!!! :evil: :evil:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

man, thats bad, i thought i was having a bad day when i lost all of my videos which took 3 months of (stupid) downlad limit to get. they were in a folder, so i cut and the videos out, deleted the folder, went to oaste them, and i couldnt because i accidently deleted them, and because i was at the libary, there was no recyle bin to retreve them, and the person in charge didnt know what to do, but i got them back, eventualy, but that is bad, its al stuff you have done, and can't be done again, hope my memory stick doesnt mess up again, my computer hates it and tries to kill it, even though i got it only a week ago.