Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

ECM Hardened missiles aren't!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

captain122
Above Average
Above Average

ECM Hardened missiles aren't!

Post by captain122 »

ECM Hardened missiles can sometimes be destroyed by a ECM. I found this out to my dismay when fighting a pirate. Is this normal for ECM Hardened missiles to be destroyed? It happened twice.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

They're ECM hardened rather than ECM proof. Most times an ECM blast will fail to detonate them, but sometimes it will get through. If you have one on your tail keeping the ECM down may sometimes get it off you. Then again it drains the energy banks, which you may need to survive if it does get through. :twisted: . Still much better to pack hardheads then normal missiles, as an ordinary missile is always zapped by the first ECM burst.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Through the amazing power of the ImageSearch link at the top of the page, I found this helpful explanation.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
Through the amazing power of the ImageSearch link at the top of the page, I found this helpful explanation.
Well i can understand why sometimes it appears as if people do not use the search function, it is because it does not operate like you would expect it too.. naturally I can't say if thread starter tried this..

When people search, I think they are overwhelmed with the hits since the search searches on any word typed into the search box... for example, if I type in model viewer, I get hits on both Model and viewer.. and the first post that pops up is the random hits thread.. and if I click on that I see the for me yellow text that indicates hits.. and all of them the word model..

After clicking the first few pages in that thread, you get pretty annoyed... no one is expected to read a thread maybe 12 pages long to find the info they require...

Even if I check the second option, that is search on all keywords.. I still get the same kind of hits...

now in the case of the model viewer, the #2 hit, is accurate..

I can´t tell how many times I got a hit, and then had to sit and scan through all the replies to get the information I search for, and very often i found no info.. or i missed it...

It should be possible to en capsule text like when you search on Google for a specific combination key words with citation marks.. like this “model viewer”, not case sensitive of course... and then get no hits if that combination is not found...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I agree, the search function is far from great. But I don’t really have time to learn PHP to start working on obsolete versions of phpBB. :-)

I’ve added the hardhead question to the FAQ, since we’ve had it about four times just this year *gasp*.